Pressure of latex tubing/balloons

Threads about how water guns work and other miscellaneous water gun technology threads.
SSCBen

Pressure of latex tubing/balloons

Post by SSCBen » Wed Oct 08, 2008 3:08 pm

During my thermodynamics class we had a discussion about modeling a system based on a balloon. As a curiosity I Google "pressure of a balloon" to see what would come up. Check it out: http://www.vernier.com/caliper/spring02/balloon.html

The graph is similar to what I saw when testing the pressure of LRT. The pressure spikes at the beginning and then increases slowly. With LRT the spike was larger and the increase was slower, but the basic trend was the same.

isoaker_com

Re: Pressure of latex tubing/balloons

Post by isoaker_com » Wed Oct 08, 2008 7:45 pm

Neat link and interesting findings. I wonder, though, what the pressure curve ends up looking like for Super Soaker CPS chambers since the walls are tapered to some degree.

:cool:
:: Leave NO one dry! :: iSoaker.com / iSoaker.net ::

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Wed Oct 08, 2008 9:27 pm

The pressure curve would definitely be very similar. I'd imagine with a taper the slope of the linear part would be lower but that's just a guess. A smaller ID with a constant wall thickness has higher pressure compared against a larger ID with the same wall thickness.

Silence

Post by Silence » Thu Oct 09, 2008 2:50 am

That's really neat. I wonder what would happen if they didn't fill the balloons to bursting, and just refilled them. You probably wouldn't see the initial spike anymore.

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Thu Oct 09, 2008 3:19 am

The initial spike existed in all tests I did with latex tubing so I'd imagine it'd remain if they didn't pop the balloons. The initial spike seemed to end once the tubing started expanding so my guess is that it takes a certain pressure level to expand the tubing but the pressure drops after that.

cantab

Post by cantab » Thu Oct 09, 2008 9:57 am

I wonder if the taper is to suppress that spike?
I work on Windows. My toolbox is Linux.
Arsenal:
Super Soaker: XP215, 2xXP220, Liquidator, Aquashock Secret Strike M(odded), Arctic Blast M, CPS1200, CPS2100, SC Power Pak, 3l aquapack, 1.5l aquapack
Water Warriors: Jet, Sting Ray M, Shark, Argon M, Tiger Shark, PulseMaster
Others: Waterbolt, The Blaster, Storm 500, Shield Blaster 2000, generic PR gun, generic backpack piston pumper (broken), 3l garden sprayer M, 10l water carrier:

isoaker_com

Post by isoaker_com » Thu Oct 09, 2008 2:13 pm

@cantab: I believe, as Ben said, the initial pressure spike would remain. The taper likely serves a different function; perhaps keeping pressure more constant after the initial expansion point is reached or minimizing potential wall-friction as the chamber deflates/pushes out water through the nozzle.

:cool:
:: Leave NO one dry! :: iSoaker.com / iSoaker.net ::