Flattered yet illegal

Buy, sell, trade, or discuss prices of Super Soakers and water guns here. (For members only)
ANNIHILATOR 2

Post by ANNIHILATOR 2 » Wed May 11, 2005 1:54 am

Alright. There are 2 auctions going on on ebay.
this one is mine:
My Ebay MXL auction

And this is some other guy's:
Some other dudes auction

Anyone notice something? Yes, that dude riped of my images and description. As flattering as it may be, I spend over an hour to come up with the resorces, while he just copy and pasted his way in a few minutes.
So if that dude happen to read this(which I doupt since that would require minimal research), listing non-stock retail images that ain't yours is illegal. Caution is recomended.

I'm not going to report him/her, since after all, I am flattered and can't blame him/her since my shot images are fairly one of a kind(yes, I am even being humble here).
Classical Spirit: Constantly improve power, pressure and style over previous state of the art water gun models. The ideal of "power progress", a nowdays non existent concept in retail water guns since 1997.

DX

Post by DX » Wed May 11, 2005 2:24 am

He actually did do some of his own work to the description. It is still copied and wrong, but he did take the time to edit out all the spelling errors [there are a lot-no offense intended.] To the uninformed buyer, it would seem like that dude's auction is the original, due to the lack of spelling mistakes. I would suggest running your descriptions through a spell checker, and also maybe adding some text that warns against copying without permission. ;)
Mess With the Best, Get Soaked Like the Rest!

2004 Red Sox - World Series Champions
2007 Red Sox - World Series Champions!

ANNIHILATOR 2

Post by ANNIHILATOR 2 » Wed May 11, 2005 3:50 am

Originally posted by Duxburian@May 10 2005, 07:24 PM
He actually did do some of his own work to the description.  It is still copied and wrong, but he did take the time to edit out all the spelling errors [there are a lot-no offense intended.]  To the uninformed buyer, it would seem like that dude's auction is the original, due to the lack of spelling mistakes.  I would suggest running your descriptions through a spell checker, and also maybe adding some text that warns against copying without permission.  ;)
[snapback]24592[/snapback]

None taken.Spelling errors never bothered me. Its my self-expressive freedom.
But for the other guy editing out spelling errors won't change that its plagerism. According to ebay laws, if even a small/similar text amount is taken from another auction, website... , then its prohibited. Pictures are even worse. Its ebay basics, and should not have to be mentioned in every auction. Plus negativity does discourage bidders, so any agressive warnings can hurt an auction.
Personaly I am more suprised about the stolen images, since text steeling happens fairly often. Last year a couple of people stole my text description of a CPS 2500 auction that went up to $110.

Like I said, I am letting it slide since it just compliments my ebay skills.
But the reason for this thread is more as an advise to people about basic ebay rules. I've seen many using isoaker.com images and descriptions on ebay, which is illegal aswell if isoker does not know about it. Even linking to a website without permission is illegal.
Classical Spirit: Constantly improve power, pressure and style over previous state of the art water gun models. The ideal of "power progress", a nowdays non existent concept in retail water guns since 1997.

Spinner

Post by Spinner » Wed May 11, 2005 9:02 am

Originally posted by ANNIHILATOR 2@May 11 2005, 03:50 AM
Even linking to a website without permission is illegal.
[snapback]24594[/snapback]

How come? Is there an eBay rule about that?
ISS: Soaker Sagas

Submit your saga and see it up with other titans of water warfare.

ANNIHILATOR 2

Post by ANNIHILATOR 2 » Wed May 11, 2005 5:59 pm

Originally posted by Spinner+May 11 2005, 02:02 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Spinner @ May 11 2005, 02:02 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-ANNIHILATOR 2@May 11 2005, 03:50 AM
Even linking to a website without permission is illegal.
[snapback]24594[/snapback]

How come? Is there an eBay rule about that?
[snapback]24595[/snapback]
[/b][/quote]

Yes. SOmething I read yesterday when I went through the listing copy right laws. I can't find the exact link, but I have some similar quote:

Allowed:
1.One link to a page that further describes the item being sold in that listing
2.One link to your email address that opens an email client for potential buyers to ask questions about the item in that listing
3.Links to photos of the item for sale
4.Links to your eBay (including your eBay Store) or Half.com listings
5.Links to your About Me page (in addition to the About Me icon already provided by eBay)
6.Links that provide credits to third parties
7.One link to your listing terms and conditions (providing that the most relevant information is within the listing itself and that this page does not include any links off of eBay)

#1 means our own link(that was more explained in detail in that other paragraph I can't find now, but #6 shows that #1 is your own), while #6 means you can use other peoples links for info aslong you give the credit, which means that sometimes you will have to ask first. So quoting isoaker is ok, if you give him the credit and depending on his preference, if he wants to be asked first.

Things are getting more amusing to. I just got an email from an ebay member wanting to report me for taking my own pictures:
Dear babyblaubear,
>
>Your ebay auctions are just copies of auction DA put up, it is illegal on ebay to copy the info/pics from someone elses auction onto yours, this way no one can see actual pics of your guns,so we can't tell what quality they are. If your auction is not changed within 24 hours of the sending of this message I will report you to ebay, and you will probably loose a bunch of privilidges. Not to mention I will post bad feed back for you once I figure out how...
Whats wrong with ebay members nowdays?

Spinner

Post by Spinner » Wed May 11, 2005 7:20 pm

Originally posted by ANNIHILATOR 2@May 11 2005, 05:59 PM

#1 means our own link(that was more explained in detail in that other paragraph I can't find now, but #6 shows that #1 is your own), while #6 means you can use other peoples links for info aslong you give the credit, which means that sometimes you will have to ask first. So quoting isoaker is ok, if you give him the credit and depending on his preference, if he wants to be asked first.
"Links that provide credit to third parties"...I would argue that linking to a website would automatically give that third party credit, as you're not just taking his work and passing it off as your own. Similarly, I would say quoting someone (e.g. "iSoaker.com rates this gun as having a 12m range!") would also be acceptable, since the credit is again given. At least, that's my interpretation of the rules.

Things are getting more amusing to. I just got an email from an ebay member wanting to report me for taking my own pictures:

Dear babyblaubear,
>
>Your ebay auctions are just copies of auction DA put up, it is illegal on ebay to copy the info/pics from someone elses auction onto yours, this way no one can see actual pics of your guns,so we can't tell what quality they are. If your auction is not changed within 24 hours of the sending of this message I will report you to ebay, and you will probably loose a bunch of privilidges. Not to mention I will post bad feed back for you once I figure out how...

[snapback]24599[/snapback]

Now that is hilarious! Members, please check who you're accusing before you do so! :Hey, that's funny.:
ISS: Soaker Sagas

Submit your saga and see it up with other titans of water warfare.

Drenchenator

Post by Drenchenator » Wed May 11, 2005 10:30 pm

Dear babyblaubear,
>

What I do not understand is why they accused you when your auction has 7 pictures and the other auction only has 3. It makes no sense if you think about it.
The Drenchenator, also known as Lt. Col. Drench.

soaker boy 99999

Post by soaker boy 99999 » Thu May 12, 2005 2:10 am

The other guy (best bet) does not even have a MXL! :Hey, that's funny.: :Hey, that's funny.:
What! me wet! I don't think so how about you insted!

MilkMan

Post by MilkMan » Thu May 12, 2005 8:48 pm

Originally posted by soaker boy 99999@May 11 2005, 10:10 PM
The other guy (best bet) does not even have a MXL! :Hey, that's funny.: :Hey, that's funny.:
[snapback]24609[/snapback]

Nah, I think he probably does have one, he's just too lazy to post his own pictures. I doubt he's a fraud.

EDIT: Changed a word
"Anything with a nozzle and a pump is good enough for me." <--------------- Same lying signature 3 years and counting!

ANNIHILATOR 2

Post by ANNIHILATOR 2 » Thu May 19, 2005 12:54 am

Originally posted by Spinner+May 11 2005, 12:20 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Spinner @ May 11 2005, 12:20 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-ANNIHILATOR 2@May 11 2005, 05:59 PM

"Links that provide credit to third parties"...I would argue that linking to a website would automatically give that third party credit, as you're not just taking his work and passing it off as your own. Similarly, I would say quoting someone (e.g. "iSoaker.com rates this gun as having a 12m range!") would also be acceptable, since the credit is again given. At least, that's my interpretation of the rules.

[/b][/quote]

Quoting Websites are a tricky thing. From what I remember from previous Termpaper guidlines, using a website as a sorce requires the owner/author to be mentioned to. Only the website will not be enough, since that would suggest claiming ownership of the website aswell. While to most of us its obvious, that the content on isoaker.com was written by isoaker (the name makes it even more obvious), lagaly its still would be plagerism. In other words it legaly would suggest that isoaker is the seller on ebay.

Another thing is, that if the owner of a privat website wants to be asked for permission first, then even giving credit would still not be acceptable.