2006 fifa world cup

All topics, except for ones related to water fights. Posts made here do not count towards your post count.

which team do you want to win the 2006 fifa world cup?

Poll ended at Mon Jul 03, 2006 9:05 pm

USA
40%
England
10%
Italy
10%
Mexico
No votes
Brazil
10%
Japan
No votes
Spain
No votes
France
No votes
Germany
20%
other (please sate)
10%

Total votes: 10

radman

2006 fifa world cup

Post by radman » Fri Jun 09, 2006 9:03 pm

which team do you want to win this year. please state if You chose other on the poll.
Radman

unigamer

Post by unigamer » Fri Jun 09, 2006 9:21 pm

Anyone but England!

Seriously though, when they win there is less news coverage than when they lose so I hope they do get somewhere.

I don't really care to be honest who wins.

Silence

Post by Silence » Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:42 am

Huh, it looks like the United States is out--they need both luck and a ton of points to get back into the game (no pun intended). Then again, after losing 3-0, there probably isn't much hope for them...

supersoaker

Post by supersoaker » Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:48 am

ENGLAND! I had my England shirt on just today, after their 1-0 win they're guaranteed to win! Hey, that's funny!

joannaardway

Post by joannaardway » Tue Jun 13, 2006 7:49 pm

I am not a football person. Sorry, but I would be perfectly happy if the world cup didn't exist, England lose, England win, some other country wins, etc.

I couldn't give a monkey's who wins.
"Over the hills and far away, she prays he will return one day. As sure as the rivers reach the seas, back in his arms again she'll be." - Over the Hills and far away, Gary Moore

"So many people have come and gone, their faces fade as the years go by. Yet I still recall as I wander on, as clear as the sun in the summer sky" - More than a feeling, Boston

Monsoon

Post by Monsoon » Tue Jun 13, 2006 8:00 pm

This is rather funny. The US has the most votes because the majority of the members here are american. In Canada, everyone is banking on their background related country.
Do not underestimate the power of stupidity in large groups

supersoaker

Post by supersoaker » Tue Jun 13, 2006 8:07 pm

Because Canada Isn't even a competitor, and my parents are from England.

Monsoon

Post by Monsoon » Tue Jun 13, 2006 8:10 pm

I don't know. I've always thought that background cultures are neat. I want to learn german after high school. Back on the topic of soccer, I don't know soccer too much.

dr_spock

Post by dr_spock » Sat Jul 01, 2006 2:03 am

Guten tag. I would pick Germany since there is some German blood in my family. I guess Ukranian and English too. It's tough picking sides.

Monsoon

Post by Monsoon » Sat Jul 01, 2006 2:46 am

Dr Spock, what are your backgrounds? Because I'm Austrian, Ukrainian, and English. I want Germany to win because Austria isn't a competitor and is similar (they speak german in Austria as well).

Silence

Post by Silence » Sat Jul 01, 2006 12:45 pm

I meant to post in this thread some more, and I guess I should have, but I'll just do it now. I think Germany will win the whole thing, but nevertheless, I can't wait to see England vs. Portugal (in a bit over 3 hours). There are only a few matches to go before the whole thing's over...

I've been pretty disappointed in the judging--actually, I've found it quite pathetic. Granted, tempers are flaring among the players, so there isn't much that you can do (besides red-carding people left and right)...

radman

Post by radman » Sat Jul 01, 2006 5:51 pm

Well now we can safely say England, Mexico, Japan, and Spain are out so we should not see any more votes for them.
Radman

Silence

Post by Silence » Sat Jul 01, 2006 7:57 pm

Yup...England vs. Portugal was somewhat disappointing, and you could only expect that Portugal would win in a penalty kick shootout (given England's history). It's currently halftime of Brazil vs. France, and I think this might be the final reckoning for Brazil--France has far greater possession and the speed, Brazil is playing somewhat sloppily and roughly.

In the past few minutes, this is what happened:
1) a French striker makes a breakaway, running through 3 defenders
2) a Brazilian defender makes a sloppy tackle and gets a yellow card
3) France takes the free kick, but the ball is stopped by Ronaldo's hand in the wall--just a few foot outside the 18-yard box
4) France takes the direct free kick
Basically, if the Brazilian defender had slid and tripped the French striker only a yard or so past where he did, Ronaldo's handball would have been inside the 18-yard box--meaning a definite penalty kick for France!

UPDATE @ 5:55: Well, Thierry Henri (a crazy-good striker for Arsenal, in case you didn't know) converted an extremely long free-kick into an easy goal for France! Brazil used a few substitutions to transfer some players to offense, most notably Robhino; however, it was too little, too late. However, those two extra people on offense did make a big difference and they added a ton of pressure at the end, so I was a bit worried.

My guess is that Germany will crush Italy (and I don't even know how Italy made it this far), hopefully France will defeat Portugal, and Germany will probably beat France in the finals--they're a strong team with the incredible home-team advantage. I'm rooting for France, though...
Last edited by Silence on Sat Jul 01, 2006 9:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: UPDATE

radman

Post by radman » Sun Jul 02, 2006 1:45 am

Yup Brazil lost. I voted on Italy ( becasure i am half Italian)
so I think they will beat Germany and France will win against Portugal and it will be Italy and france in the final game.(To Silent Guy) Italy palyed great. The only reason they are not among the top scoring teams is because they tied to the US becase one of there players hit the ball into their own goal.
Last edited by radman on Sun Jul 02, 2006 7:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Radman

Lt.Winters

Post by Lt.Winters » Tue Jul 04, 2006 5:21 pm

I'm Canadian but I wouldn't support England. Anyways, it's Germany for me, the Germany and Italy match starts in 70 minutes (?)
"In better days that lie ahead, men will speak with pride of our doings." --Gen. Monty