Soakerdom's Memberships 1998-2004

Discussion of other water gun websites.
Soakologist

Post by Soakologist » Fri Aug 13, 2004 10:14 pm

Open the attatchment.
Attachments
timeline.JPG
timeline.JPG (34.14 KiB) Viewed 1909 times
Whatever music you listen to probably sucks.

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Sat Aug 14, 2004 1:38 pm

Interesting, that really is fairly informative for those who don't know about the various online water war communities.

I'm guessing that you included HydroEvolution/SSTK as part of SSCentral. SSCentral itself didn't start until March 2003, but HydroEvolution (the XPBackfire-esquepiest name ever) was some time in later 2002.

This reminds me, of the fluctuations in the site statistics based on certain months. I should get a graph to show it, it's much more dramatic than you'd think.

Soakologist

Post by Soakologist » Sat Aug 14, 2004 5:10 pm

SSCentral includes SSCL/HE/SSTK and the SSC as we know it.

Freakymist

Post by Freakymist » Wed Aug 25, 2004 2:26 am

wow now that you mentioned SSCL I just realized something... MY SOAKER SITE BECAME POPULAR :Hey, that's funny.:

Neuro

Post by Neuro » Wed Aug 25, 2004 2:42 am

:Hey, that's funny.:

[at]Doom
Methinks one of the site statistics scripts in CPanel will do a graph...
"I used to care, but now I take a pill for that."

You can pretty much ignore the times on that, I rarely ever have Xfire on when I play. I should, though.

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Wed Aug 25, 2004 9:57 am

Originally posted by Freakymist@Aug 24 2004, 09:26 PM
wow now that you mentioned SSCL I just realized something... MY SOAKER SITE BECAME POPULAR :Hey, that's funny.:
Think of it like this... SSCentraL.

Then again, SSCentral pretty much is several sites. We've got all of Sapper's articles (actually most ATM, in the process of adding more), We have all of Freakymist's, all of Pepper's (still adding), and all of mine. SSCentral never was the work of one.

[at] Neo: I actually took at look at the awstats yesterday, the graph is weird for site activity because it's got like 4 different things for each month. :blink: The forum posting stats would be more accurate I suppose too.

Sapper46123

Post by Sapper46123 » Fri Dec 31, 2004 1:34 am

The picture appears to be broken... :huh:

EDIT: Thanks Doom.

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Fri Dec 31, 2004 2:15 am

Apparently during our forums upgrade some of the directories got shifted. No problem, the image is still available. I'll be looking into why this happened on this image but not others.

sogoie

Post by sogoie » Tue Nov 22, 2005 12:11 am

Soakerdoam sounds awesome there should be a lot of other ones like this out there.

Soakologist

Post by Soakologist » Tue Nov 22, 2005 9:43 pm

I can understand why you might think that would be beneficial sogoie, but history has proven that the fewer boards, the better the discussion. More boards just leads to more dying out and less overall activity. If there's just one board (like there was in the MiB/AQT days), everyone uses that and everyone talks there. Not only does it centralize discussion, but it actually increases activity. This is due to the fact that those who would otherwise not read threads (exclusive members of another forum) do read them and respond. This is a exponential effect, as more discussion explodes due to more posts, more mental stimulation, meaning more posts and more threads and more mental stimulation. It's a cycle that cannot be easily stopped, but is stopped nonetheless.

LIGHT ANNIHILATOR

Post by LIGHT ANNIHILATOR » Tue Nov 22, 2005 9:58 pm

Well, I like more boards, because it let's you ask around for different opinions. Like what Newb did when he went to isoaker to ask about fixing his Monster XL. Intresting chart though. :cool:
Playstation 3: Check the Consumer Elecronic Show (CES) early next month for more PS3 info, and possible confirmation of a release date

Soakologist

Post by Soakologist » Sat Nov 26, 2005 10:47 pm

You could get everyone's opinions, however different they may be, on one board. You don't need multiple boards to have diversity.

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Sat Nov 26, 2005 11:22 pm

I agree very much with Soakologist. Different boards will have different members, but you don't need different boards to get different opinions. The opinions of people vary in boards just as much as they will from board to board.

To me, the ultimate goal would be if people supported all forums, but that obviously isn't going to happen with everyone. When I want major feedback on something, I always post in every forum to make sure I get as much exposure as possible. Same with the Soaker Media guys. I think the real reason Newb went to iSoaker.com was because he was unsatisfied with this forum and Soaker Media didn't look too much better to him (given that he was "prebanned"), not to get a "more diverse" opinion.

LIGHT ANNIHILATOR

Post by LIGHT ANNIHILATOR » Sun Nov 27, 2005 1:04 am

Good point guy's but I am not entirley wrong. Checking the content of multiple sites (reviews, tech, tactics, etc) can yeild different opinons, since the content of sites can vary substantially. :cool:
Playstation 3: Check the Consumer Elecronic Show (CES) early next month for more PS3 info, and possible confirmation of a release date

DX

Post by DX » Sun Nov 27, 2005 1:19 am

I could never see myself ever fully supporting a return to a central board system. Despite all the pluses of Aquatica, Aquatica destroyed itself. The only board that crumbled via constant power struggles, slander campaigns, "pay dirt" , and the whatnot. I have extremely strong views regarding power, and a new central board would eventually kill itself from the inside just like AQT. WWN also failed, but that was from an external factor. It could take a month, a year, or a decade, but a central board would ultimately fail from internal factors. So few people these days can resist the power of power. It would get abused again, people would go undercover out to ruin their enemies' reputations again, rebels would form their own board and polarize the community again, admins would leave in disgust again.

Those whom ignore the lessons of history are condemmed to repeat them. Well, I feel that the Community in general has NOT learned fully from AQT. A central board will not succeed unless ALL its admins and mods are wholly committed to pure virtues and just use of the considerable power a central board brings. Which will NEVER happen. Power is always taken too far, and only a handful are dedicated enough, pure enough, to wield power reluctantly, to use it reluctantly, to use it wisely, fairly, for the interest of the board rather than for personal gain. That's where I draw the line, and retreat before the ever-growing force of corruption.

I don't oppose a central forum for the regular reasons. I oppose it because it is doomed to fail except by miracle. I have thrown all my virtues into SM, it will never fail from internal factors. If such a central forum were to be established, SM will remain open. I have zero trust of the politics of a central forum.

I would rather help establish a better flow of members and information between the forums we have now. Unity will help revive soakerdom. Cooperative SEO, joining and posting on all forums, contributing to and helping all sites would really do wonders for Water Warfare. Learn something from the Nerf community: They have everything necessary to thrive except forum unity. If we could get total forum unity and cooperation, it would help more than making a central board ever could.

Last point: If you have been prebanned from SM, there was a good reason, and you can still appeal it to any SM staff member on any forum.
Mess With the Best, Get Soaked Like the Rest!

2004 Red Sox - World Series Champions
2007 Red Sox - World Series Champions!