urban games

Topics about water war tactics, water war planning, and past water war stories.
blub man

urban games

Post by blub man » Mon May 15, 2006 3:41 pm

Are there any water games particulary suited to an urban enviroment?
Why is there a 75 letter limit?
Who cares what temperature it is...GET SOAKED TODAY

Blub manImage

joannaardway

Post by joannaardway » Mon May 15, 2006 5:03 pm

The limit is there to prevent short posts which contain no information. If your post is worth posting, (i.e. it contains enough information).

Urban games are fairly standard. However, I don't fight in Urban settings much, so I'll let someone else comment.
"Over the hills and far away, she prays he will return one day. As sure as the rivers reach the seas, back in his arms again she'll be." - Over the Hills and far away, Gary Moore

"So many people have come and gone, their faces fade as the years go by. Yet I still recall as I wander on, as clear as the sun in the summer sky" - More than a feeling, Boston

blub man

Post by blub man » Mon May 15, 2006 5:21 pm

I see.

I supose i actually live in a suburban area, but i doubt that makes much difference.
Who cares what temperature it is...GET SOAKED TODAY

Blub manImage

Silence

Post by Silence » Mon May 15, 2006 9:03 pm

Duxburian wrote:When someone talks about 1HK, they don't automatically mean 1HK Elimination! There are tons of different variants of 1HK [which often are superior to 1HK elimination].

1HK Elimination: One kill and you are out. The most common, yet most boring form of the game.

1HK Lives: One hit kills you, but you have multiple or infinate lives to use. This variant is played for score and points. Much improved over elimination if you want fun and skill at the same time.

1HK Scenario-based: Winning Objectives scores points rather than kill count. The most strategic form of 1HK, but also the most difficult to win. It is best to put a time limit on each objective [such as the offensive side has 30 minutes to take a fort from the defense].

1HK Capture the Flag: Capture the Flag, but one hit eliminates you.

1HK CTF Lives: Same as 1HK Lives, but with a flag to seize.

1HK Every Man For Himself: Everyone is out to get you, or you are out to get everyone, depending on your gun and your attitude.

1HK Protect the VIP: One person is the VIP, one team has to defend him/her, while the other tries to take the VIP out. Can be played for points/score or elimination, but strategy doesn't change as much as it does for other games with two styles.

1HK Soakfest: There are some soakfests where teams fight 1HK style, but don't count hits as kills/ don't keep score. Hardcore soakfest wars fit this gametype.
Duxburian posted this link of various 1HK games in a recent post. Check it out, as they seem very interesting. I quoted that just in case the iScF thread ever goes down and these types are lost forever.

For urban war (though these will work in others), I suggest the ones that have objectives, as this will allow the flow of the map to be used to one side's advantage. 1HK CTF seems the best, as long as you go somewhere (to your base or the enemies' "prison") and get to come back after that; Protect the VIP and Scenario-Based seem okay too. However, the latter two don't neccessarily use the flow of the map as much.

DX

Post by DX » Mon May 15, 2006 9:35 pm

CTF games work very nicely in suburban-urban areas. Scenarios are difficult unless you have treehouses, forts, etc. in backyards to work with. VIP is good due to the close-quarters combat and abundance of walls and ambush spots.
Mess With the Best, Get Soaked Like the Rest!

2004 Red Sox - World Series Champions
2007 Red Sox - World Series Champions!

Silence

Post by Silence » Mon May 15, 2006 10:17 pm

I don't know...scenario-based 1HK is entirely possible, given a setting that has special features, of course. Throughout my previous post, I pointed out (subtlely, I suppose) the ideal urban combat map as having directed flow (more complex, at least, than a simple grid of blocks, though that's really only common in video games). Especially for games such as CTF, you can use this flow to your advantage--take the game Freedom Fighters, for example, as one that lets you experiment by using the specific environments very well. Maybe a description of the sub/urban setting you plan to use will help, as that could help you obtain more specific feedback for scenario games.

weird weird dude

Me

Post by weird weird dude » Mon May 15, 2006 11:53 pm

I live in the sub-urbs and I try to go to a big yard (if yours isn't big enough go to a park or a friend's yard) . It is hard to play (of course) if you have only a 1 meter strip of yard.
WEIRD WEIRD DUDE...

Silence

Post by Silence » Tue May 16, 2006 12:13 am

Well, yards still aren't the best "urban" settings that I've hears of...sure, you can use stuff for obstacles (which defines "opened" and "closed" maps in level design), but that won't have the same effect as what I'm thinking of. For the suburbs, at least, imagine a layout of closely-placed houses, and all of them have unique fence patterns, with some overlapping houses. Basically, it really controls the flow of the battle, and you don't see the enemy until they are well within range. Non-urban battles are more like people seeing each other from far away, without obstacles, and taking potshots at each other until somebody gets hit.