Streetwars: Killer

Topics about water war tactics, water war planning, and past water war stories.
shironinja

Streetwars: Killer

Post by shironinja » Thu Sep 23, 2004 6:18 pm

All,

I've been involved in a water gun assassination tournament for the past three weeks.

http://www.streetwars.ca/

Now I've been able to survive and get enough kills to move me to the second round. What worries me is that to date I've relied more on stealth than firepower.

For weapons I've been using:

1 no-name pump soaker
- Reliable up to 18 feet straight, 25 feet at 45 degree

two small no-name pistols
- Reliable to 15 feet straight
- Thin blast which gets knocked around by the wind too easily to be trusted on a degree.

Now this has been fine due to the tournament's one-hit kills. Just had to stalk the victim and take them out.

But on Saturday 7 of us top players will be playing a "sudden death" round. I do not know the rules yet and am trying to plan for anything.

To that effect I've tried to look for any SS in stores but was only able to find a SS 50 and a SS MDS. Classic models but woah... old! All other stores in my area have nothing and have been sold out for quite some time.

Super Soaker MDS

The MDS is a write-off -- I really REALLY dislike the gun.

Super Soaker 50

I used to have a SS 50 back in the early 90's though so I feel comfortable using it.

The range isn't bad either:

- shoots about 25 feet straight -- not sure what it does at 45 degrees yet.

Though a thinner blast the one-hit kills (that will likely be in place Saturday) will render a large-soaking unnecessary.

I am also considering creating a personal water balloon sling (not a sling shot ... a sling -- see my other thread).

Any comments, tips, advice would be appreciated!

RacerSoaker445

Post by RacerSoaker445 » Thu Sep 23, 2004 6:43 pm

First of all, I would reccomend getting a larger gun, you are looking for a gun that will be able to shoot a long distance, but one that you are able to move around with, such as a CPS 1000 or 2100. And if you can find one, you can get a CPS 1500/1700.
I don't check this forum anymore.

shironinja

Post by shironinja » Thu Sep 23, 2004 6:54 pm

Aah... if only there was a better gun. I agree. But the SS 50 is likely all I'm going to have to work with.

I am sketchy Ebay-ing anything as it wouldn't be delivered in time as most of the sellers I looked at this week are selling from the USA.

I live in Vancouver, BC (Canada) by the way.

I've called all:

- Toys R Us
- Wal-Mart
- Zellers

Nearby ... no luck. All have been sold out for the past month and with the rainy weather we get from now till April there are no plans to restock soon. I've also visited 5 or 6 other local toys / department stores but was only able to find no-name brands, etc. That's where I got my other weaponry.

The SS 50 and MDS I found was actually at a very small fetish store. They mainly sell hooker boots...! Haha...

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Thu Sep 23, 2004 7:00 pm

Wow, nice website. I would watch the video but I don't have RealPlayer. I'm not sure if you run it, but you should have a links section so that others can find us and other websites.

If you can't find a good gun, you always could build one. Check out our homemades section for more info... or if you want a better write-up on the APH article, just contact me and I'll see if I can give you my updated one that we plan on adding when we finish some other stuff. You could use a smaller nozzle and it'll still seriously crush the competition.

You also could modify what you have, but if that's what you have, then it's not going to be worth it.

Have fun in the game. Keep your stealth with a better weapon and you'll win.

shironinja

Post by shironinja » Thu Sep 23, 2004 7:12 pm

I read some of the home-made guides before creating a thread. Some pretty crazy stuff! Seriously impressed. Will re-read the guides and see how feasible it would be to build one in my day off from work tomorrow.......

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Thu Sep 23, 2004 7:23 pm

http://forums.sscentral.net/index.php?act=ST&f=3&t=1683

There, read that. That should be more helpful than the current one.

shironinja

Post by shironinja » Thu Sep 23, 2004 7:38 pm

Yes... that is MUCH easier to look at. Thanks!

Printed off and will read both again on my lunch break now. Planning to spec out the pieces at a store tonight and see if this is something I'd feel comfortable finishing before Saturday morning..........!

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Thu Sep 23, 2004 8:24 pm

If you were wondering about the pumps, I still need to write the article on that. Until then, don't use the electrical tape method I used in the old article.

http://www.sscentral.net/images/pump_o-ring.jpg
http://soakthis.com/hmpump.html

Use an O-ring pump like those shown ones.

shironinja

Post by shironinja » Thu Sep 23, 2004 10:58 pm

Alright ... I feel I understand the making of the gun. Fairly simple.

What intimidates me the most is the reservoir. Just a trash bag...?!!

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Thu Sep 23, 2004 11:10 pm

It's not bad at all. I've used one bag for over 2 years, only replacing it because I thought 2 years was a good time for general maintenance. Just use a strong, heavy-duty trash bag and there is nothing to fear. You do have other backpack options though, such as a PVC/ABS piping backpack or one made from bottles. Trash bags are just extremely common and cost effective.

However, if you like included-reservoirs, look at the following image and buy PVC to make your gun like this. This will be much more expensive than the trash bag though. You might want to make it from ABS piping or something similar to save money.

http://www.sscentral.net/images/compleated.jpg

shironinja

Post by shironinja » Thu Sep 23, 2004 11:25 pm

I think a gun like this deserves a backpack. I just don't want it leaking all over my back if I'm running, etc...!

One other question before I run out to go look at supplies.

In this picture:

What are the little blue things at the ends of the rubber tubing? Where did they come from?

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Thu Sep 23, 2004 11:27 pm

Bleh, you don't need them. In fact that system leaks after years of use. Just ignore it.

[edit] I'll just get out another updated article...

----------

The trash bag backpack can hold more water than any other design, and is extremely cheap. The water is stored in a soft trash bag, which is leak free and does not require any siphoning (unlike bottles and piping).

You'll need the following:
  • Backpack to store the bag in
  • Trash bag (preferably the kind without a drawstring)
  • Bottle with a large (~2 inches in diameter) hole, include the cap
  • Scissors
  • Drill bit slighly smaller than the tubing size
  • Vinyl or similar tubing (I used 3/8")
The bottle allows you to change the trash bag when it gets damaged, and it also makes a perfect seal. You'll have to cut off everything on the bottle except for the threaded part. Make sure there are no sharp edges that could damage the trash bag, if it is necessary put some duct tape over the sharp edges.

Take the bottle's cap and put a hole close to the center a bit smaller than the tubing you are using. You'll want a good seal, but you also want it to fit. If the tubing doesn't fit in that hole, use the scissors to slightly widen it.

If the trash bag has a drawstring, cut that part off. You won't be needing it. Take the open end of the trash bag and roll it up a bit, so you can thread it through the bottle's open hole. Making sure the bottle's hole has the threads pointed away from the bag, and insert the bag, leaving about 4 inches sticking out. Open the bag over the threads, and screw the cap on over the bag, sealing the bag onto the cap and threads. Cut off the extra trash bag, attach the tubing and put this in a backpack. You're trash bag backpack is completed.

You can fill this by either pouring the water into the trash bag or attaching a quick connect/disconct attachment, available in gardening departments of home improvement stores.

----------

This isn't the entire article, just what you are looking for. We do have lots of files to go though, so updating usually comes in big changes, that's why I post this stuff early instead of uploading it.

shironinja

Post by shironinja » Thu Sep 23, 2004 11:33 pm

Got it... thanks!

shironinja

Post by shironinja » Fri Sep 24, 2004 6:01 am

Juuust got back from the local home improvement store.

Alright.

1) Man that is sick. You can really see the gun taking shape as you stack together items in your cart.
2) For a first time ... it's pricey when you include things like a hacksaw and the different types of primer / cement required.
3) Some items are tricky to get.
- a 3/4 --> 1/2 I couldn't find
- the 1/2 PVC check valves. For that they advised me to visit a plumber's warehouse or something.
- no 3 inch PVC! I was able to piece together black plumbing ABS though to create the same configuration.

However ... I have decided to NOT go with the gun at this time. Reasons:

1) Price would be $120+ plus my labour.
2) Wouldn't be able to gather all items together 24 hours before the event. If things aren't completely glued and sealed in time ... well... you know. I wouldn't want to rush a gun like this!1
3) Was cautioned by the guy in the shop that 3 inch ABS might not be as strong as 3 inch PVC and I wanted to hear what you thought about it as a substitution.

I am interested in buying pieces, taking my time to maybe customize this a bit, and doing this though. Before the next game we play. But for Saturday I'm going to go with what I got. I did get a good lead on a friend possibly having what she called "a HUGE super-soaker at work" ... waiting to hear back on an email in the morning.

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Fri Sep 24, 2004 12:21 pm

You're work will be well worth it, if you make it correctly then it'll beat any and every mass-produced gun. PVC is several times thicker than the plastic used in Super Soakers.
I was able to piece together black plumbing ABS though to create the same configuration.
No, do not use ABS piping. That is in no way meant for the pressure created by this. I got away with normal 3" PVC (the kind that says "not for pressure"), but the best option would be pressure rated PVC that's harder to find. Because the endcap's nearly were touching each other, the thickness increased, but I don't think I'll be enough for ABS piping. You could return that or make a backpack from it, either should go good.

http://www.soakthis.com/APH.jpg

Most people make the PC actually from 2" PVC, but that gets very long. I still think I am the only known person who used 3". I have done the math, and even if those 2" PCs were something like 2 feet long, my 3" ones still hold a bit more water. That's why I use the 3" stuff, it works better.

I bought my first check valves online before I found then available at Lowes, which also has a MUCH better plumbing and gardening department than Hope Depot or any other home improvement store I've been to. You can buy check valves at many sites, but McMaster was the place I bought them. I should also tell you that you can buy CPS tubing to make a CPS gun at that site, it's called Latex Rubber Tubing if you get interested in this subject and would like to make something a little more complicated. Buy the "PVC Spring-Loaded Poppet Check Valves," they look like what I've got. Another thing about check valves you may not understand, when I indicated direction in the article, it actually meant direction of flow. The check valves have arrows on them, so make them point the direction indicated in the picture.

If you've got anymore questions feel free to post, that's what these forums are for. I try to over-explain a bit because I think some people need it. Not everyone could make a gun from a design they made in their head at the store (true story of how I designed this one).