Stingray Mod

Threads about water gun modifications.
Chernobyl

Stingray Mod

Post by Chernobyl » Sat May 15, 2010 2:47 am

I was planning one getting 2 or 3 stringrays along with a pulse master or vindicator. If anyone has any tips on which is better or anything I'd appreciate that. So is it possible to mod the stingray. I think I read somewhere that filing down the cap or something will increase pressure I'm not sure. Can someone give me more detail on that.
Thanks

cantab

Re: Stingray Mod

Post by cantab » Sat May 15, 2010 10:33 am

The Stingray is a very small sidearm, but packs decent power for its size. The Pulse Master and Vindicator are both large blasters, of which the VIndicator is generally reckoned better - the Pulse Master by design has a very small pressure chamber (so it takes about 5 pumps to fill) and thus a very short shot time.

I detailed a Stingray mod somewhere. Note that it should be considered anecdotal - I have not formally tested everything.
Basically, on the Stingray there are some lugs on the cap, that after a certain amount of tightening hit a matching lug on the blaster, limiting how much the cap can be tightened. Removing this limit by filing away the lugs on the blaster may help boost performance, since it appears that excess pressure escapes through the gap in the 'standard' gun. Bear in mind I would not be surprised if it also shortens the life of the cap seal.
I work on Windows. My toolbox is Linux.
Arsenal:
Super Soaker: XP215, 2xXP220, Liquidator, Aquashock Secret Strike M(odded), Arctic Blast M, CPS1200, CPS2100, SC Power Pak, 3l aquapack, 1.5l aquapack
Water Warriors: Jet, Sting Ray M, Shark, Argon M, Tiger Shark, PulseMaster
Others: Waterbolt, The Blaster, Storm 500, Shield Blaster 2000, generic PR gun, generic backpack piston pumper (broken), 3l garden sprayer M, 10l water carrier:

JuchTurtles

Post by JuchTurtles » Sat May 15, 2010 2:16 pm

If you're modding a gun, I'd go with something bigger. The Stingray is small blaster and you'll have trouble if you're adding internals. Maybe a power mod if it doesn't require adding something (like layers around a PC if you use a lot). Of course, to add other problems, the Stingray is a Pressurized Reservoir gun and it would be hard to add a power mod, or really that much modding. I'd mod a Vindicator instead, because it's bigger, and I personally think that you could power-mod it (k-Mod) with skill.
The name's Juch, just Juch.
Also known as Commander JuchJawsTurtles, commander of the C0BALT TiDE team in The Ocean Volcano Union.
SPLASH! You're dead!

cantab

Post by cantab » Sat May 15, 2010 2:59 pm

Yeah, if your aim is to get something for modding, and to practice modding, there's not a lot you can do with the Stingray. The aforementioned filing trick is to my knowledge unique to the gun and not relevant to others, the nozzle's already quite large (1/16 inch) for such a small sidearm so there's unlikely to be any point drilling it, and a reservoir expansion, while possible, will be difficult and pointless.
I work on Windows. My toolbox is Linux.
Arsenal:
Super Soaker: XP215, 2xXP220, Liquidator, Aquashock Secret Strike M(odded), Arctic Blast M, CPS1200, CPS2100, SC Power Pak, 3l aquapack, 1.5l aquapack
Water Warriors: Jet, Sting Ray M, Shark, Argon M, Tiger Shark, PulseMaster
Others: Waterbolt, The Blaster, Storm 500, Shield Blaster 2000, generic PR gun, generic backpack piston pumper (broken), 3l garden sprayer M, 10l water carrier:

JuchTurtles

Post by JuchTurtles » Sat May 15, 2010 8:43 pm

Well, and a reservoir expansion might mess up the pressurization with small air leaks. It would just be difficult, and kind-of pointless because it would make a small gun large unless you did a small mod (like reinforcing the pump) which may not even be needed.
The name's Juch, just Juch.
Also known as Commander JuchJawsTurtles, commander of the C0BALT TiDE team in The Ocean Volcano Union.
SPLASH! You're dead!

martianshark

Post by martianshark » Sun May 16, 2010 1:02 am

I think what the stingray needs is a bigger pump and higher pressure. Maybe you could somehow attatch a schrader valve.

ncog

Post by ncog » Sun May 16, 2010 4:39 am

Stingrays are good, go for it. I did the filing mod on my one and it didn't seem to increase range by much at all, but it's nice to be able to screw on the cap properly anyway.

All in all, a very comfortable soaker, and very powerful for its size. Decent range too.