What should I get?

General water gun discussion.
martianshark

What should I get?

Post by martianshark » Mon Apr 26, 2010 3:47 am

I have a choice between a Vindicator, Pulse Blaster, Tiger Shark, or Mk 1 Orca. Which one do you think I should get? Right now I'm more interested in the Pulse Blaster because of its quick pumping time and smooth streams. However, I can get the Orca or Tiger Shark for $4 cheaper.

cantab

Re: What should I get?

Post by cantab » Mon Apr 26, 2010 5:00 pm

Of those the Vindicator is the best I think. The Mk 1 Orca is rated OK but makes funny noises due to the upside-down reservoir cap. The Tiger Shark is a smaller blaster and I find the ergonomics poor. The Pulse Blaster is not even the biggest of the Pulse series - I have the Pulse Master (the biggest) and though it packs a punch the shot time is very short.
I work on Windows. My toolbox is Linux.
Arsenal:
Super Soaker: XP215, 2xXP220, Liquidator, Aquashock Secret Strike M(odded), Arctic Blast M, CPS1200, CPS2100, SC Power Pak, 3l aquapack, 1.5l aquapack
Water Warriors: Jet, Sting Ray M, Shark, Argon M, Tiger Shark, PulseMaster
Others: Waterbolt, The Blaster, Storm 500, Shield Blaster 2000, generic PR gun, generic backpack piston pumper (broken), 3l garden sprayer M, 10l water carrier:

martianshark

Post by martianshark » Mon Apr 26, 2010 6:56 pm

Whoops, I meant to say Pulse Master.

Does that mean the Mk 1 Orca better than the Tiger Shark? Noise isn't a problem for me, btw.

cantab

Post by cantab » Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:52 pm

I think the Orca is the more powerful gun, with twin Hydro-Power chambers rather than the single chamber of the Tiger Shark.
I work on Windows. My toolbox is Linux.
Arsenal:
Super Soaker: XP215, 2xXP220, Liquidator, Aquashock Secret Strike M(odded), Arctic Blast M, CPS1200, CPS2100, SC Power Pak, 3l aquapack, 1.5l aquapack
Water Warriors: Jet, Sting Ray M, Shark, Argon M, Tiger Shark, PulseMaster
Others: Waterbolt, The Blaster, Storm 500, Shield Blaster 2000, generic PR gun, generic backpack piston pumper (broken), 3l garden sprayer M, 10l water carrier:

soakernerd

Post by soakernerd » Mon Apr 26, 2010 8:03 pm

The Mk. I orca had the problem of drawing air through the cap. That seriously hindered the performance. I would go with the Vindicator. Mine broke, but it was a fantastic gun while it lasted. I do not believe that problem was the fault of BBT, though.

C-A_99

Post by C-A_99 » Mon Apr 26, 2010 8:23 pm

Soakernerd, every single onboard reservoir/seperate PC water blaster draws air through the cap.

The MK II Orca is strongly recommended *edit* over the MK I. The MK I's trigger WILL leak and break down after some use, and the inverted cap tends to get air into the PC unless you pump slowly. It's not a well designed blaster and the MK II fixes most of the problems with the first one. (And it's trigger is a tad bit more reliable.) The trigger, regardless of which mark, can be fixed fairly easily with lubrication and addition of rubber bands to assist the spring.

However, the Vindicator is still the best option currently available. The Orca is considerably underpowered for its size and is not substantially more powerful than the Tiger Shark.
Last edited by C-A_99 on Tue Apr 27, 2010 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

soakernerd

Post by soakernerd » Mon Apr 26, 2010 8:55 pm

I meant that the air is drawn into the PC, because of the cap's proximity to the intake tube..

martianshark

Post by martianshark » Tue Apr 27, 2010 2:04 am

If it was an air pressure gun, that might actually be a good thing.

Soakernerd, how much more powerful is the Vindicator compared with the Vanquisher?

ncog

Post by ncog » Tue Apr 27, 2010 9:11 am

I have all 4 (but a mk 2 instead of a mk 1 orca) and would say:

1. vindicator - great range on larger nozzles (average for smaller nozzles), good capacity/output/shot time

2. pulse master - good range for smaller nozzle, great range for largest, good capacity, short shot time (but little pumps needed), slight nozzle valve lag for smaller two nozzle (makes shots 'stick'), good for sniping/fun for using for a slightly different playstyle

3. probably the orca, though i haven't ever used a mk 1....my mk 2 has great range on lower nozzle (average on larger nozzles), is bulky (slightly unwieldy), good capacity/shot time

4. tiger shark - looks cool, but average range limits this soaker. nice output for highest nozzle though....a good close range soaker but other than that not too useful

I would suggest getting both the Vindicator and Pulse Master if you can afford it, they're two excellent guns that suit different playstyles...I'd say the Pulse Master takes more skill to use though, which is why I'd recommend the Vindicator over it. In certain gametypes like OHK, a Pulse Master could easily stand up to/beat a Vindicator.

martianshark

Post by martianshark » Tue Apr 27, 2010 7:14 pm

I can only get one right now.

ncog

Post by ncog » Wed Apr 28, 2010 2:19 pm

In that case, get the Vindicator...It's the best all-round soaker there.

martianshark

Post by martianshark » Wed Apr 28, 2010 7:39 pm

I do already have the Vanquisher, though. If the Vanquisher is only a little less powerful than the Vindicator, I really might want to get the Pulse Master.

soakernerd

Post by soakernerd » Wed Apr 28, 2010 7:47 pm

I have yet to actually do this, but I think that the nozzle selector on the Vanquisher has the same INTERNAL design, and that they should be compatible. If so, the VANDICATOR would be the best possible gun: nozzles of a vindicator with the shot time of a vanquisher.

Edit: opinion on the pulse master:
It seems like it doesn't have that much use. I mean, sure its got good range and output, but the small size of the PC makes those numbers misleading. even though it is considered 5x because it pushes out 2.5 oz in 1/2 second, you are still only getting hit with 2.5 oz. I would go with the Vindicator, and switch the nozzles.

martianshark

Post by martianshark » Wed Apr 28, 2010 7:52 pm

Good idea. I guess I'll get the Vindicator.

Wait - Can't you do this since you have the Vanquisher and a broken Vindicator?

soakernerd

Post by soakernerd » Wed Apr 28, 2010 8:39 pm

I just tried it. The Vindicator selector doesn't fit in. it is too small.