Gizmodo talks about water guns

General water gun discussion.
SSCBen

Gizmodo talks about water guns

Post by SSCBen » Wed Jul 02, 2008 6:28 pm

Their feature on water guns sadly doesn't include any of the better ones around, which is questionable. We got mentioned far down in the comments.

What I find sad is that regardless of the number of times I've submitted our website to places like Gizmodo, they'll never run a feature on anything we have here. Any of our homemade water guns are more impressive than what they're running today. :p

Silence

Re: Gizmodo talks about water guns

Post by Silence » Wed Jul 02, 2008 7:09 pm

Sneak Attack on the Pain-o-Meter: 9.
Is that out of 100? :p

Seriously, I'm surprised they even consider the tested water guns to rate highly on the Pain-o-Meter. The writers there must all be over 20 - surely they remember the CPS series.

Well, I thank whoever linked to us. Nobody seemed to pay attention to that, though.

Ben, did you catch the pictures of you with SuperCAP? It looks like they were posted around the time you posted this thread. No link or credit, though, so no traffic from that

emperor_james

Post by emperor_james » Wed Jul 02, 2008 8:34 pm

Is that a ripoff of the water warriors steady stream? It says "sizzlin cool."

cantab

Post by cantab » Wed Jul 02, 2008 8:34 pm

:sigh: I suppose they've set themselves a somewhat restrictive budget - might have priced out the best guns. Though surely the orca or tiger shark are cheaper than the tarantula. Mebbe it was what they found in a particular shop. I've found lots of shopping around is needed.

Still, at least they observe that the ranges are usually overestimates. I'm guessing they got good range with the Sneak Attack because they're adults, while the range on the box is intended to match the age target. I don't actually own any piston pumper guns, maybe I should look at getting one, for variety if not for performance.

I note their Steady Stream was either a ripoff or a rebranding. I don't know how its performance would compare to the original.

The pain ratings are evidently relative. Though that said, if you really shove the SA's pump in hard, I'd expect a fast, narrow, stinging stream, whereas pressurised guns would likely have a larger nozzle. Still, I'm not about to volunteer to be CPSed in the face.

I'd love to go there and annihilate them all with my tiger shark.

isoaker_com

Post by isoaker_com » Wed Jul 02, 2008 10:13 pm

On the bright side, it's good to see that some at least have found their way to SSCentral and potentially the online community forums. However, reviewing blasters like that and emphasizing face shots isn't a great way to publicize water warfare in a sense.

:cool:
:: Leave NO one dry! :: iSoaker.com / iSoaker.net ::

Silence

Post by Silence » Wed Jul 02, 2008 10:33 pm

iSoaker: There you go again, spoiling the fun. :p

Lifehacker has a similar article that could use an SSC comment. *wink wink* I can't seem to register at the moment though...

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Thu Jul 03, 2008 12:39 am

Ben, did you catch the pictures of you with SuperCAP? It looks like they were posted around the time you posted this thread. No link or credit, though, so no traffic from that
Yes I did. It was still mostly ignored even though I think they could talk at least about how ridiculous it looks. :p

I've already registered under an account that would give away who I am so if someone else could post something in that top 10 summer projects page I'd appreciate it. I posted a comment on the post I mentioned first but my account needs to be validated or something.

Hopefully some website in the community will show up on something eventually. I'm still up for organizing a posting on Digg or something given that we get the momentum to push through to the top.

C-A_99

Post by C-A_99 » Thu Jul 03, 2008 4:28 pm

Given how they weren't angling their streams (heck, they didn't seem to pay attention to angle at all), I won't accept any of their claims regarding range. If everything was level, then I'd go with some of it, but the advertised ranges go on ~45 degree shots. (at least, you would think they do) However, the measurements may have been taken elsewhere, but given what they did when they took the video, I don't trust much of their data. The 30ft shooter is interesting though, odd that the manufacturer would understate the range of their blaster.

Specter

Post by Specter » Thu Jul 03, 2008 6:16 pm

CA99 wrote:The 30ft shooter is interesting though, odd that the manufacturer would understate the range of their blaster.
You have to remember that it was adults shooting the guns. Since it's piston powered they can put more power into it. The guns are targeted towards younger kids which can't put as much power into the piston therefore probably reaching the distances advertised. :)
My "arsenal": Customizable APH, Storm 600 pistol (still haven't finished fixing this), launcher- Model:AB1.0(Decommissioned), AB1.5, soon AB 1.1(2"rebuild) maybe ill get something else in the future
My site Image My website/forum is back up and running, for the most part after it having been deleted in october

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Thu Jul 03, 2008 10:44 pm

It is quite obvious that these guys know little to nothing about water guns from the face shots, face shot ratings, inconsistent and non-ideal angle, and their lack of larger water guns in the test.

I actually posted a comment but it looked like it was deleted. I didn't post a link so I'm wondering why. The only thing I said was that I ran a website mentioned earlier and you should check it out if you want to see better water guns. Not spammy at all. :p