Broken MXL

Repairs to water guns. Please put repair topics in this forum so that people do not have to sort through so many topics when looking for a repair. If a fix is included in the topic, please add (Fixed) before the topic title to indicate so.
Hunt_and_Annoy

Broken MXL

Post by Hunt_and_Annoy » Sun Mar 23, 2008 12:48 am

Okay guys, the problem is that one of the pipes of my mxl broke in a very difficult to patch place.
Picture:
As you can see, it broke at a t-junction in a bad place. (Look for the big hole.) I've tried epoxy, superglue, and pvc cement, it's not working. Unless someone has an idea, I think I might get fiberglass or CF sheets with epoxy and use that for reinforcement.

PS: Sorry for the image quality, webcam, go figure.
PPS: Yes I know the MXL is a virtually useless field gun, but I'm OCD about fixing stuff, and I want it to work.
PPPS: I'm not accepting offers to purchase it, so don't ask. This gun has sentimental value, and looks like a corroded...uh...ugly thing.
PPPPS: Why won't it let me use html?
Last edited by SSCBen on Sun Mar 23, 2008 12:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

SSCBen

Re: Broken MXL

Post by SSCBen » Sun Mar 23, 2008 12:53 am

vBulletin doesn't allow HTML by default because it opens up a lot of security problems. I'll edit your post to use the [img] tag and then edit in a response.

Here's a few pages to check out:
http://www.sscentral.org/repairs/joint_crack.html
http://www.sscentral.org/repairs/glue.html
http://www.sscentral.org/repairs/cracked-plastic.html

Putty epoxy, epoxy, small brass tubing, and sandpaper are your friends here. While I would prefer a more detailed image to give better help, you should be able to make some sort of brace/sting/reinforcement with small brass tubing, epoxy that on, epoxy on the other part of the tee, and then cover the entire thing in putty epoxy. There's more information about stuff like this in the links above. Putty epoxy alone around the entire thing should work too if you want something simpler.

Take some pictures of the repair and write an article. The more articles we have the more people we can help. ;)
Last edited by SSCBen on Sun Mar 23, 2008 12:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Hunt_and_Annoy

Post by Hunt_and_Annoy » Sun Mar 23, 2008 1:07 am

Just out of curiosity, how did you remove the glue that was already on the valve when you disassembled it in the third article? Maybe Not all valves have glue. Anyway, I'll see what I can do about it. Thanks!

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Sun Mar 23, 2008 1:14 am

I sanded it off (or tried to) the second time around. Coarse sandpaper should work. You also can use acetone as said in the glues article. Try both, but be aware that both can and will cause damage to the plastic if done in excess. Do enough to get the glue off, and no more.

Hunt_and_Annoy

Post by Hunt_and_Annoy » Sun Mar 23, 2008 1:23 am

I see. Thanks! So if you can sand it I'm assuming they don't glue things very well?

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Sun Mar 23, 2008 1:36 am

You can get some epoxy off with sandpaper by hand. It is hard but not impossible. If you took a dremel with a sanding bit to it you could probably remove it all, but you'd likely remove things you need unless you were extra careful.

Hunt_and_Annoy

Post by Hunt_and_Annoy » Sun Mar 23, 2008 1:55 am

I tried zap-a-gap (superglue) with insta-set, it appears to have sealed fairly well, so we'll see.

Edit: UPDATE: It held together the pieces, but I missed a spot so it's leaking. I will get it fixed eventually.
Last edited by Hunt_and_Annoy on Mon Mar 24, 2008 12:14 am, edited 1 time in total.