Recruiting & Training

General water gun discussion.
newb

Recruiting & Training

Post by newb » Wed Feb 15, 2006 1:05 am

Hey guys, what would be the best way to recruit people, and train them in time for the summer? I am trying to set up some people, and train them with some more tactics, and war Intel. Any one got any good ideas?
Thanks.

DX

Post by DX » Wed Feb 15, 2006 1:46 am

In water wars, I have found that people learn best by doing. Stage intra-team skirmishes and teach as you go along. Actual battle experience is the best training. The Ridgewood Militia actually puts our new members directly into wars, since they learn quickly and become more efficient faster that way.

For recruiting, tech achievements draw high interest. A high caliber arsenal also installs pride in a team and changes the way potential members might see "squirt gun fights."

Of course, all this depends on age, and the type of people in your area [some regions/towns have a lot of people hostile to water wars, ask Jadefalcon].
Last edited by DX on Wed Feb 15, 2006 2:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mess With the Best, Get Soaked Like the Rest!

2004 Red Sox - World Series Champions
2007 Red Sox - World Series Champions!

newb

Post by newb » Wed Feb 15, 2006 7:21 am

Yes, you are right. What is better than putting new recruits, and every one ells fight each other, to learn off each other abilities, and technique? That is a great idea; however I live in Seattle, are there any members from this forum that lives in Seattle? Thanks

That is true, having high tech, would indeed intrigue them. But just drawing their attention, and giving them information, will not make them truly devoted, and train up for the summer. Posting flyers up in school, might be a resource, location is another factor to consider, and the types of people. Thanks

Very informative, thanks a lot Duxburian
Last edited by newb on Wed Feb 15, 2006 7:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

joannaardway

Post by joannaardway » Fri Mar 17, 2006 8:29 pm

Well, My main problem with recruiting is that people see water guns as "toys".

That's fine, they are mainly intended for young children, but when they start comparing it to paintballing - that's when I start to get annoyed.

Paintballing and soaking shouldn't be compared in this manner. Soaking doesn't hurt, is open to a larger audience, and can be done in a greater range of locations.

How should I aim to gather a water warfare group?

I know I should aim to recruit around the summer, and by then I should be able to put do some impressive firepower to try and grab attention.

The problem is, where should I recruit, how should I do it, and who should I aim for?

I have some mild interest towards it at the moment, but I need more than this.

How often should the group meet? - I don't want to pressure, but I don't want it to break up because of fading interest.

And another problem: How should I maintain my group over the winter months?
"Over the hills and far away, she prays he will return one day. As sure as the rivers reach the seas, back in his arms again she'll be." - Over the Hills and far away, Gary Moore

"So many people have come and gone, their faces fade as the years go by. Yet I still recall as I wander on, as clear as the sun in the summer sky" - More than a feeling, Boston

DX

Post by DX » Fri Mar 17, 2006 10:56 pm

This all really depends on what style team you intend to run. Going for casual soakfests or hardcore war? Or something in between? There is no one set of advice that works for all.

You actually don't need to recruit in the summer, my team picked up two new members last week. However, teams just starting out tend to organize in the summer, because the wars can start immediately.

Good Tech draws interest very, very well. A powerful arsenal, especially one containing mods and homemades, sends a message that these are not just toys.

You should recruit from among your friends first. In the Ridgewood Militia, everybody knows and is on good terms with everybody, and I know everybody well. This ensures a good, cohesive team that can work smoothly together. You only have to meet at wars or practice skirmishes, but if it is a group of friends, you tend to be together often and can talk war enough to keep interest going.

And I don't get what is with people and seasons. They automatically think that winter is a bad time for holding a team together, and that summer is the time to plan and recruit. Seasons mean nothing. Winter/Spring is often a very active time for a team. That's when you should build, plan, fortify, recruit, etc. Summer and Fall are for fighting wars. But really, you can add new members at any time of the year, you can mod guns at any time, you can draw up tactics at any time. Just because winter is here doesn't mean that your team falls apart. This last winter only strengthened the Militia, both in the arsenal and in excitement for the next season.
Mess With the Best, Get Soaked Like the Rest!

2004 Red Sox - World Series Champions
2007 Red Sox - World Series Champions!

joannaardway

Post by joannaardway » Sat Mar 18, 2006 9:34 am

Well, I hope to run a team that goes for a mix between a soakfest and hardcore war, because I'm sure that a set of serious rules used on a regular basis will discourage less determined members.

That's not to say that total soakfests or 1HK games won't see the light of day.
"Over the hills and far away, she prays he will return one day. As sure as the rivers reach the seas, back in his arms again she'll be." - Over the Hills and far away, Gary Moore

"So many people have come and gone, their faces fade as the years go by. Yet I still recall as I wander on, as clear as the sun in the summer sky" - More than a feeling, Boston