Squeeze Trigger Problems?

Repairs to water guns. Please put repair topics in this forum so that people do not have to sort through so many topics when looking for a repair. If a fix is included in the topic, please add (Fixed) before the topic title to indicate so.
Josh

Squeeze Trigger Problems?

Post by Josh » Mon Nov 03, 2008 1:36 am

Well my SS MDS which has been sitting in the shed for about 7 or 8 years uses a squeeze trigger, and the tube has been squozen for so long that it appears to prefer being in the squozen position rather than fully open, and i believe thus cuts off flow, allowing for less than 1 metre of range, no matter what nozzle I am using.

I was wondering if anybody else has problems with old squeeze triggers being squozen for long periods of time, and would perhaps replacing the tube, or turning it around (so the previously squozen end is at full opening capacity and the new end to get squeezed is fresh) increase performance, and perhaps restore it to its former glory? (even though it was never very good)
Also, is there some easy way to replace the squeeze trigger system?

Oh and i think the SS MDS is functionally identical to the SS 60 besides the nozzle.

Thanks

SSCBen

Re: Squeeze Trigger Problems?

Post by SSCBen » Mon Nov 03, 2008 2:55 am

I've never heard of this problem before but if it is caused by tubing being stressed so it is permanently deformed I would imagine replacing the tubing would be a good repair.

Josh

Post by Josh » Mon Nov 03, 2008 4:44 am

It seems to be a bit stretched and thinner on the bit were it was squozen, and when simply taking trigger, it doesn't fully expand back to its circular shape.
Previously i thought there was a pressure leak, but after taking it apart, this was the only noticable fault.
I don't think i will replace the tubing as it was never initially a good gun, and i only use it as a [edited to comply with rules] now (but don't even use it as that any more since i found a 5L garden sprayer in the shed :) ).

Were there many guns that actually used squeeze triggers? I thought maybe this was a common problem which is why i don't see the system in newer guns.
Last edited by Josh on Tue Nov 04, 2008 1:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

cantab

Post by cantab » Mon Nov 03, 2008 10:13 pm

The early supersoakers used pinch triggers (what you are calling a squeeze trigger). I believe that the XPs all used pull valves, and of course all CPSes do. I can't speak for the later SS range.

If you were putting liquids other than water through it then you shouldn't be surprised that it broke, quite possibly they reacted detrimentally with the plastic.
Also, discussion of using water pistols as flamethrowers is banned on this forum. It's dangerous and depending on where you live illegal.
I work on Windows. My toolbox is Linux.
Arsenal:
Super Soaker: XP215, 2xXP220, Liquidator, Aquashock Secret Strike M(odded), Arctic Blast M, CPS1200, CPS2100, SC Power Pak, 3l aquapack, 1.5l aquapack
Water Warriors: Jet, Sting Ray M, Shark, Argon M, Tiger Shark, PulseMaster
Others: Waterbolt, The Blaster, Storm 500, Shield Blaster 2000, generic PR gun, generic backpack piston pumper (broken), 3l garden sprayer M, 10l water carrier:

Silence

Post by Silence » Tue Nov 04, 2008 12:40 am

"Squozen"? Me likey. :)

You could try replacing the pinched tubing using thin-walled vinyl tubing, but getting the right dimensions might be a little difficult. That's still easier than completely replacing the valve using a ball valve, though.

Josh

Post by Josh » Tue Nov 04, 2008 12:55 am

The gun was broken in this manner before using it as a [unspoken device].

What is the best kind of trigger for a water gun?

Silence

Post by Silence » Tue Nov 04, 2008 3:34 am

See here. Ball valves are the best because they allow maximum flow with little obstruction or bends. Sadly, it's hard to retrofit new valves into commercial water guns. You could try doing it with a lot of epoxy, though.

Josh

Post by Josh » Tue Nov 04, 2008 12:39 pm

Ok thank you for all the help everybody.
I wasn't posting this to actually repair the gun, as it was never great in the first place, but rather to learn how if I needed and to learn more about repairs incase this situation turns up in a gun I DO want to repair.
I couldn't find epoxy at my local hardware store :(
maybe i was just looking in the wrong place