Max-D XPS

Threads about water gun modifications.
Striker

Max-D XPS

Post by Striker » Wed Aug 23, 2006 3:01 pm

For the MAX-D XPS MOD, what size balloons should I get? Water Balloons, or 12.7 cm diameter balloons? The MAX-D 6000 has quite a small PC, so I think water balloons would be a better choice. Any thoughts on this?

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Wed Aug 23, 2006 3:40 pm

Don't do the XPS modification. I included it on the website for completeness, but it's such a poor modification that it should be removed.

Striker

Post by Striker » Wed Aug 23, 2006 5:09 pm

But why is it poor? Other people have called it the "AIR POWERED CPS 2000" or something to that effect. What does it do?

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Wed Aug 23, 2006 5:30 pm

No one has ever called it the "Air powered CPS 2000." I've never seen it called that before, except for maybe years ago when people knew no better. Such a description today would be a joke at best. There is no way you can modify most XP style water guns to even approach the CPS 2000 in power. There simply are too many other factors involved with power and range that will stop it.

People expect it to be the K-mod for air pressure water guns, and it's not. It doesn't add much power. It adds a lot of hassle. An XPS modification reduces PC capacity dramatically, and barely adds any power. The balloons also make it hard fit the PC back in. The balloons also slowly will break, forcing you to replace them. Lots of hassle and no benefit.

It would be more useful to add a single balloon to do the similar balloon PC modification which will just allow your water gun to be shot at any angle. The balloon will break after use, but you can replace that far easier than you would something else.

The only thing this does is add some balloons into the pressure chamber, gaining some more resistance. But any added resistance is barely anything because the balloons will hit the sizes of the pressure chamber very quickly. So in reality, you are only getting a small if existent power-boost and a lot less PC capacity due to the size of the rubber.

Just don't do it. Believe me. I know what I'm talking about better than anyone else. This is like trying to upgrade a tricycle to act like a monster truck.

Years ago people claimed all sorts of wild things about XPSed water guns. I've heard it all from equivalent performance to a regular CPS water gun to over 70 feet of range with "rifling." At the time I had no reason not to believe it. But it simply doesn't happen.

Striker

Post by Striker » Wed Aug 23, 2006 5:40 pm

K, thanks. I think the AP CPS 2000 reference was on iSoaker.

Silence

Post by Silence » Thu Aug 24, 2006 12:29 am

Hmm...I thought that even a balloon PC was impossible on Max-D soakers because they were (I think) all PR, but I guess I was wrong. It sounds like separate-PC soakers are much more flexible and better, and didn't somebody find a place online to get an XP 310?

Back on topic, I'm assuming this is one of the things to be done for the SSC renovation. You should have a checklist for what needs to be done, IMO.

Striker

Post by Striker » Thu Aug 24, 2006 12:36 am

2k-PR
3k-PR
4k-PR
5k-PR with a fake plastic bubble.
6k-Dual (tiny) PC's

Hope this answers your question

Silence

Post by Silence » Thu Aug 24, 2006 2:02 am

Ah, thank you. That will explain some of the pictures of MD6K internals that look suspiciously like two separate PCs...

And even with balloons, the force might not be entirely constant in each chamber if not for the air pressure. As I said in your homemade thread, a bag is always an option for a convenient balloon-PC mod, if it will create a seal.

Striker

Post by Striker » Thu Aug 24, 2006 1:17 pm

Off-topic, If you do have an SSC renovation, it'd be helpful to list the specifications of the gun as on iSoaker.com, but just make them basic, as in PR, Sep. PC, CPS, Piston, etc, PR and Sep. PR would refer to Air Pressure guns, and CPS would refer to CPS guns. It'd also be helpful to have a review format, that reviews different aspects of a gun using sections. This might take a long time, seeing as you have alot of reviews, but it'd certainly spruce the site up.

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Thu Aug 24, 2006 1:32 pm

A big review revamp was part of the plan. I've been working on making a quality product for the reviews system. While initially we won't have too many reviews, after the system is in place I am very confident that we will have the best review/statistic/water gun information system around. The database tables will have to be made correctly, but after reading an SQL book I'm confident that will be the easy part.

A level of classification would be something easy to add. In fact, it would be real easy to use with the information in a database. You could search and sort the water guns easily. ;)

Part of my inspiration was the old website "Hydrophilies" that had a great sorting and review system: http://www.blisstonia.com/soakers/

The website isn't working correctly at the moment, but I've emailed the webmaster and it should be working correctly soon.
Last edited by SSCBen on Thu Aug 24, 2006 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Striker

Post by Striker » Thu Aug 24, 2006 4:26 pm

I also have another idea. You could make a gauge on how recommended a mod is for a particular type of soaker, and how it will influence the performance.