CPS 3000 backpack replacement!!

Repairs to water guns. Please put repair topics in this forum so that people do not have to sort through so many topics when looking for a repair. If a fix is included in the topic, please add (Fixed) before the topic title to indicate so.
CROC

CPS 3000 backpack replacement!!

Post by CROC » Fri Jul 21, 2006 3:41 pm

I just picked up a CPS 3000 from my cousin (the same one with the CPS 2000), but it was missing the backpack. Does anyone have any ideas on how I could possibly make my own, so that I can use the CPS 3000?
-Croc
It's been a while guys, and its good to be back

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Fri Jul 21, 2006 3:46 pm

A backpack modification with the correct hose coupler is what you need: http://www.sscentral.org/tech/mods/backpack.php

joanna knows the type of hose coupler to get, so wait for her response for more information. The homemade backpack itself is a soft pack much like the CPS 3000's. If you want a hard backpack, you can make one from PVC or ABS pipe. You also can make one from bottles or other water containers. Really easy.

joannaardway

Post by joannaardway » Fri Jul 21, 2006 8:37 pm

Ok (steals images from my older thread).

You want to look for a "male" hose connector like so:

You'll need to find a way to attach this to your 3000 -(it fits well in a 3200, but the hose/gun connection is different to a 3000) - it may be easy.

However, if you find no easy way - you can improvise as such:

By cutting the pipe work back and filing it smooth - you can cut the connector down, and you can superglue the two faces together well. You might experience problems here - the "male" connector I used was "longer" than it needed to be, so there was spare space for the casing in between the "male" and "female" parts.

Your connection from the back pack should be one of these ^. The hose is a basic garden hose. That stuff is the cheapest stuff possible, but it still holds 100 psi easy - but you don't need pressure resistance for a feed to the pump.

And you'll need to find your own way of attaching the hose to your improv backpack - you can "ask the audience" though.
http://bb.1asphost.com/sigmarhaven/SSpi ... 0small.jpg
"Over the hills and far away, she prays he will return one day. As sure as the rivers reach the seas, back in his arms again she'll be." - Over the Hills and far away, Gary Moore

"So many people have come and gone, their faces fade as the years go by. Yet I still recall as I wander on, as clear as the sun in the summer sky" - More than a feeling, Boston

Silence

Post by Silence » Fri Jul 21, 2006 8:47 pm

I'll be "the audience" for now...

The backpack mod article asks you to just cut a hole in a bottle cap and stick the tubing inside--simple enough, but with some leaking. I decided to go way beyond that, so I created a heavy-duty system. I just used actual PVC fittings; a 1/2" hose barb, a 2"-to-1/2" threaded bushing, and a 2" male adapter to clamp the trashbag to the bushing.

And by doing that, I discovered that...it's completely pointless. Using PVC just increases the price and makes things way too heavy, and the "sharper" threads cut the bag in places--but since so much of the bag was clamped anyway, at least the seal held. My suggestion is to do what the article says, but use epoxy to hold the tubing onto the cap and create a seal that way. Also, no matter what you do, get lots of tubing so you can put the bag upside-down inside the backpack; this makes sure no air gets pumped until the end, and siphoning makes sure the water gets to the soaker.

CROC

Post by CROC » Wed Jul 26, 2006 12:35 pm

I still have yet to go and get my hose connection and other things, but thanks for the quick replies. I hope to go out to get the hose and connectors soon
:D
-Croc

joannaardway

Post by joannaardway » Wed Jul 26, 2006 4:49 pm

I wouldn't know where to look for the connectors on that side of the Atlantic, but I understand that they are fairly universal.

Good luck on that.
"Over the hills and far away, she prays he will return one day. As sure as the rivers reach the seas, back in his arms again she'll be." - Over the Hills and far away, Gary Moore

"So many people have come and gone, their faces fade as the years go by. Yet I still recall as I wander on, as clear as the sun in the summer sky" - More than a feeling, Boston

Silence

Post by Silence » Wed Jul 26, 2006 7:43 pm

These connectors are very common, usually found in the garden hose sections of larger home improvement/DIY stores such as Lowes or The Home Depot. Lowes has an excellent selection and it's found near the PVC, and I'd imagine it to be similar at The Home Depot.

They have both metal and plastic pieces of this type. Normally, I'd use metal, but my backpack and compact APH have plastic fittings and those would be easier to cut if you're doing something like what joannaardway did to her Triple Aggressor. Of course, they might even have ready-made one-sided pieces, but I wouldn't really know.

CROC

Post by CROC » Sun Jan 14, 2007 1:20 am

:rolleyes: Sorry about bringing up a really dead topic I started, but... :rolleyes:
I found a nice backpack- Around 3L capacity, with room for other gear/guns. It has a small camel pack like thing, but works better, because it keeps the water above where you would normally pump the gun, so it will keep a steady flow to the gun. Here is the link to the backpack- It claims that it is 35L capacity, but that is the main bag, not the water pouch. Below is an image of the bag from the website:
This bag even has a cover so that the contents of your bag don't get wet. However, it covers the bag, making it take longer to refill. But hey- If you're in a water war, and you store guns in it, it will be wet anyways. I am going to modify the connector for the camel pack to fit in the CPS3K slot for the backpack. I might expand some holes so that I can twist and lock it in the slot
-Croc

Monsoon

Post by Monsoon » Sun Jan 14, 2007 2:11 am

Not sure if 3L is enough to power such a large blaster as the CPS3000, but if that's what the stock backpack holds, then why not?
Do not underestimate the power of stupidity in large groups

Silence

Post by Silence » Sun Jan 14, 2007 4:27 am

Nice find. But unless you're using the main compartment for something else, shouldn't you just use a camel pack? Besides, 3 liters isn't all that much for a backpack...

At any rate, a camel pack reservoir would probably be completely leak-free, so good luck with the mod! Also, it would be easier I suppose than just carrying the weight in your hands, like with a CPS 2700.

Monsoon

Post by Monsoon » Sun Jan 14, 2007 5:29 am

I think he meant that the backpack in the picture has a compartment with a 3L camel pack in it, and the rest is storage.

Silence

Post by Silence » Sun Jan 14, 2007 6:29 pm

That's what I was referring to actually. For a backpack reservoir, that's pretty small. ;)

CROC

Post by CROC » Mon Jan 15, 2007 12:35 am

Monsoon is right. There is a small bag inside the backpack where you put the camel pack, and the rest would be storage. The backpack is large enough that it can almost fit my 3000 inside it, so it has great holding space. I could carry around my BBT guns in the backpack, while I carry around my 2000 and 3000, which would be around my neck :p
-Croc

Monsoon

Post by Monsoon » Tue Jan 16, 2007 3:01 am

Would it weigh you down a lot, or be too bulky in the heat of a battle? These are the most important things to take into consideration when thinking of using something for a water war. There's nothing more irritating that bulky equipment when you're trying to make a run for it.

CROC

Post by CROC » Tue Jan 16, 2007 3:06 am

The bag, when full of water and some lower key weapon would be not too bulky... there are straps on it which can make it contract to the point that the straps cannot be pulled anymore. The straps are comfortable, which is the real thing about weight, as well as where it is on your back, but I don't think that it will be too heavy. If it is, I will just modify the pouch and make it like a camel pack
~CROC
-Croc