Painting a 1700?

Threads about water gun modifications.
theicemonkey

Post by theicemonkey » Sun May 22, 2005 12:41 am

I figure in order to paint the gun using spray paint I'm going to need to open the gun up to separate the shell into two pieces...but how difficult is that nozzle on the front going to be to get around? I K-modded my 2100 and ended up cracking the nozzle up because it was holding the two halves together, and the 1700 looks even more complicated. Is it easy to open?

I've read some of the painting FAQs but they're not too specific...has anyone painted their 1500/1700? I wanted to make it black except for the green globes which I want to leave alone. What paints did you use? What primer? Did you sand it down first? Thanks for you help! Anything would be appreciated.

NiborDude

Post by NiborDude » Sun May 22, 2005 1:31 am

I painted my CPS 1500. You don't have to open it up necessarily. What I did was spray one side then when it dried spray the other. I put cotton balls in the nozzle so that paint doesn't get in there. Once your first coat dries, put a coat of laquer over the paint. That will keep the paint from chipping. That's basically all I do with all of my guns.

<span style='color:EEF2F7'>Blinding ignorance does mislead us. O! Wretched mortals, open your eyes! -Leonardo Da Vinci

theicemonkey

Post by theicemonkey » Sun May 22, 2005 3:26 am

really! that's interesting...do you have any pictures or links to show it? what color did you paint it? how clean do you think I could get the globes to be by taping them off? what kind of paint (as in brand of spraypaint or other...krylon?). Did you sand it or use a primer at all? What brand of laquer? Sorry for the rapid fire of questions I'm just curious! Thanks

NiborDude

Post by NiborDude » Sun May 22, 2005 3:11 pm

I don't have a picture with me at the moment. I can't take one either because my mom has the camera and is in Florida at the moment. I did a mixture of colors on it. I did a green base coat and then I put black and brown stripes in random areas. I taped off areas when I tried spray painting my CPS 2100 gold and silver. If you tape it off well it should work. I would use duct tape or large masking tape. I'm not sure what type of spray paint I used. Dux has the spray paint and he's gone for the weekend. I did not sand my soaker or prime it. I tried sanding once, and all it does is ruin the outside of your soaker. I know some people use primer. I don't see a reason to use primer, but if you want to you're welcome to try it. I'm pretty sure any type of laquer works.

These are some of the paint jobs Dux and I have done. Since these pictures have been taken, a couple of my soakers now have "ghillie" on them. I cut out burlap and hot glued it on. It creates a bushy like camo. I hope this helps. B)

<span style='color:EEF2F7'>Blinding ignorance does mislead us. O! Wretched mortals, open your eyes! -Leonardo Da Vinci

RacerSoaker445

Post by RacerSoaker445 » Sun May 22, 2005 3:24 pm

By far, the best paint to use is Krylon Fusion. No sanding, or primer needed, although I recommend that you sand the Reservoir because it's made of a slightly different plastic, and the paint chips off easily on it.
I don't check this forum anymore.

theicemonkey

Post by theicemonkey » Mon May 23, 2005 12:38 am

OK, I think I'm going to go with the Gloss Black Krylon Fusion...does that need to be laquered afterwards? If so, what brand did you guys use? Thanks!

RacerSoaker445

Post by RacerSoaker445 » Mon May 23, 2005 1:26 am

^ None needed! Just spray on the paint and you are done!
I don't check this forum anymore.

theicemonkey

Post by theicemonkey » Mon May 23, 2005 1:41 am

Yow! That is pretty hot stuff! One last thing...it says it dries in about 15 minutes? What do you think...how long should I leave one side alone before I start on the other? I think I'll leave the green globes covering the PC and the resevoir alone (except for the cap)...what's the word on spraying the trigger? Bad idea?

Jadefalcon09

Post by Jadefalcon09 » Wed May 25, 2005 7:24 pm

Ill move this over to the Tech Forums. Painting is pretty simple, ask Nibor through PMs and such, he is the expert here on painting.

DX

Post by DX » Wed May 25, 2005 8:44 pm

Yow! That is pretty hot stuff! One last thing...it says it dries in about 15 minutes? What do you think...how long should I leave one side alone before I start on the other? I think I'll leave the green globes covering the PC and the resevoir alone (except for the cap)...what's the word on spraying the trigger? Bad idea?
Just in case I would wait a half hour before painting the other side. Spraying the trigger is fine, that won't affect preformance, but don't spray the pump shaft, as it makes the pump stiff. Spraying the pump handle is fine, though.
Mess With the Best, Get Soaked Like the Rest!

2004 Red Sox - World Series Champions
2007 Red Sox - World Series Champions!