Multi-Purpuse Piston Cannon

Build a homemade water gun or water balloon launcher and tell us about it.
Leprechaun71588

Multi-Purpuse Piston Cannon

Post by Leprechaun71588 » Wed Mar 29, 2006 2:15 am

This is just a crazy idea I thought up today. It was really brought on by the idea of launching waterballoons/other crap out of dorm room windows.
It's basically just a giant piston-thing that pumps into a much smaller pipe. If I happen to make it, the pump will be made of 4" PVC and the smaller pipe will probably be 2".

I figure that even if it doesn't quite shoot water balloons as far as I want it to, I can make an attachment with a nozzle on the end and fill it up with water. I imagine that would shoot pretty damn far.

This isn't meant to really be used in a water war, just to have fun shooting crap.
AIM: Leprechaun71588
Yahoo: Leprechaun71588

joannaardway

Post by joannaardway » Thu Mar 30, 2006 8:59 am

I'm not sure this will work - a pump that big would require massive strength to use practically.

Remember that the force required to pump increases with the area of the pump shaft - so a 4" pump would be unusable.
"Over the hills and far away, she prays he will return one day. As sure as the rivers reach the seas, back in his arms again she'll be." - Over the Hills and far away, Gary Moore

"So many people have come and gone, their faces fade as the years go by. Yet I still recall as I wander on, as clear as the sun in the summer sky" - More than a feeling, Boston

Leprechaun71588

Post by Leprechaun71588 » Thu Mar 30, 2006 10:24 pm

I had a watergun I built last summer that was a 2" piston. The thing that made it harder the use was when I made the nozzle on the end smaller. This will be going from 4" down to 2", so it will be a whole lot easier than if I were trying to push it all out of a little tiny hole.
AIM: Leprechaun71588
Yahoo: Leprechaun71588

joannaardway

Post by joannaardway » Fri Mar 31, 2006 4:23 pm

Nonetheless, I think it probably won't work very well.

In truth, the speed of a projectile in the 2" pipe will be 4 times faster than the pump in the 4" pipe (assuming the system is isobaric in use, and equal to barometric pressure), but, to apply a decent pressure, it will be difficult.

Assuming you can bring your arm back at 5 or 6 m/s then the projectile will reach maybe 20 m/s - 44 mph. This is low for a water balloon launcher. Most pneumatic launchers fire at 50 m/s or more (up to the predicted 100 m/s of the Cerberus), but some do get as low as 30 m/s (usually small, or with an inefficent C/B ratio, or low psi)
"Over the hills and far away, she prays he will return one day. As sure as the rivers reach the seas, back in his arms again she'll be." - Over the Hills and far away, Gary Moore

"So many people have come and gone, their faces fade as the years go by. Yet I still recall as I wander on, as clear as the sun in the summer sky" - More than a feeling, Boston