Broken CPS 2000

Repairs to water guns. Please put repair topics in this forum so that people do not have to sort through so many topics when looking for a repair. If a fix is included in the topic, please add (Fixed) before the topic title to indicate so.
JLspacemarine

Broken CPS 2000

Post by JLspacemarine » Wed Jul 26, 2006 9:49 pm

I was looking for super soakers on ebay to see if there was any way to get a good old CPS gun like a 1500, 2000 or 2500. Then I found a Broken CPS 2000 mk2 for sale. Here is the item's description:

«This auction is for one original 1996 Larami Constant Pressure System that is arguably the most powerful watergun ever produced. It truly lives up to being a water cannon. It is capable of blasting a solid water stream over 60 feet! This one has the normal scratches on the plastic and has been stored for the last several years when it performed perfectly, but now when tested doesn't hold water pressure. Apparently it should be an easy fix related to a rubber seal. So if you are willing to open her up and nose around, you will save a ton of money over the other CPS 2000's on eBay, which are very hard to come by.»

I don't think this gun can shoot water over 60 feet but it is true that it's the only way to get one of these under 100$, so I bought it and I have just received it today.

First, I tried it with no water in it: it does nothing when I pump or when I shoot, and the pump is so smooth, it's like pumping nothing (maybe it's always like that). And with water in it, all water that I pump gently leaks out of the nozzle and the pressure gauge does not move. I was thinking about an open trigger valve repair, but closing the trigger valve manually does not fix the problem. Fortunately the trigger valve can be screwed off. So if the problem is in the trigger valve , I'll be able to open it. For now I just need some help to fix my CPS 2000, it's like a dream just to have it in my hands :) , so it would be a lot better if I could use it ;) !
Armory: AS Hydroblitz (x2), MI FlashFlood, STE TripleShot, XP Backfire, XP 215, XP 105, XXP 175, Big Bottle BLaster(x2), SC Power Pak, SpeedLoader1000, SpeedLoader 1500, SpeedLoader Double-Cross 3000, CPS Splashzooka (x2), CPS 1200, CPS 1500,CPS 2100, CPS 2000 Mk2, CPS 1-3-5

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Thu Jul 27, 2006 12:05 am

The problem most likely is that the rubber seal in the firing valve has fallen off. From what I know, the CPS 2000's firing valve is easy to open due to the screws used to close it. Shouldn't be harder than reattaching the rubber with something like contact cement. At worst the rubber is damaged so that it can not be reattached, and you can buy a small rubber sheet to cut into the right shape.

Good luck with the repair! Good deal on the CPS 2000 too.

Silence

Post by Silence » Thu Jul 27, 2006 1:22 am

Do you have any pictures of the leak? Also, make sure the water is actually leaking from where it appears to be leaking; it could just be dripping down on the outside of the tube, perhaps out of the line of sight, from another location. It's improbable, but it's probably the safest thing to do.

JLspacemarine

Post by JLspacemarine » Thu Jul 27, 2006 4:23 am

Good, I've just found the problem: You were right Ben, the rubber seal in the firing valve was stuck in the nozzle part, but fortunately it is not broken:

I have tried to put the rubber back in the valve twice but it pops back in the nozzle part every first time i pull the trigger, and then it starts to leak from the nozzle. So I need to glue the rubber seal.

If this is the only thing to do to fix it, this soaker was definitively a good deal!
Armory: AS Hydroblitz (x2), MI FlashFlood, STE TripleShot, XP Backfire, XP 215, XP 105, XXP 175, Big Bottle BLaster(x2), SC Power Pak, SpeedLoader1000, SpeedLoader 1500, SpeedLoader Double-Cross 3000, CPS Splashzooka (x2), CPS 1200, CPS 1500,CPS 2100, CPS 2000 Mk2, CPS 1-3-5

Silence

Post by Silence » Thu Jul 27, 2006 1:10 pm

Hey, that actually does look pretty simple...so congratulations on the buy!

A bit of epoxy to hold the smaller orange circular piece to the larger one looks like it should do the trick. For whatever reason, that orange piece must have come off at some time, but it should work after some epoxy.

Those pictures prove that good images always help, since I didn't understand exactly what the problem could be earlier. However, it's still a bit strange--I wonder how the piece would have loosened in the first place.