Modding: What it does and does not do for you!

Threads about water gun modifications.
Jadefalcon09

Modding: What it does and does not do for you!

Post by Jadefalcon09 » Tue Feb 22, 2005 3:33 am

- I like writing articles, personally. As I log into my routine daily by playing a bit of Star Wars Galaxies then check the SSC Forums, I notice a hot topic that is being discussed, indirectly, with some people not even knowing about it. The topic concerns Soakers and the Modifications of them. No soaker cannot be modified, however some are pretty useless to modify in the first place (aka waste of time for nothing). Modding has its benefits. However it has big consequences if you screw it up. Having soakers with stock power is also an advantage. Lets break it down.

Modifications, Why they are advantageous, Why you should Mod
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

- We all know what this word means. Other than new soakers for the next year, this topic comes next in the most discussed on the list. The goal of modifying a soaker (most of the time) is to improve some aspect of performance, Whether this be range, capacity, power, or something else. Modding a gun can seriously increase performance if done correctly. With proper skill and tactics, a modified CPS 2100 could take out a CPS 2500, depending on the type of game. Having a modified arsenal is a key factor in some battles. However when you modify, there is equivalent echange. If I increase the power, shot time goes down, capacity for maneuverability, range for power. It really is all of a balancing act. Which ever stat you want to modify is up to you. Modding will give an extra kick into your blaster, and may just give you the edge in a tight situation. Its especially suprising when the enemy has no idea you have turned your blaster into a monster. You sacrifice one element for another; do not let the lost element be your weakness.

Keeping Stock, Why they are advantageous, Why you should not Mod
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

- Personally to me, the age to modification is all a big whoop and hype. I may be critiscing modifications a bit, but it is for good reason. Most guns a novice tries to modify will unfortunately break, and no one really has a big wallet to spend on Soakers. I think I have a right in saying that modifications, in my opinion, are not the brightest idea. I have tried them, I have seen what they can do. If you do something that you are not sure of what you are doing, chances are the gun is history. I had to say goodbye to a CPS 4100 and Storm 600e Last year because I got the "oh I gotta modify!" hype.
- Personally thats all I really see it as. A skilled enough warrior can take out a modified weapon. If someone modified a CPS 2100, think about what they did to it. If they turned it into a shotgun, make its slow recharge, and short capacity your enemies weakness. Modification does just that, it takes away one element to fully power another. Keeping soakers stock can save you money, time, frustration, and from getting hurt shooting another or hurting yourself during the procedure. Notice why the Guidelines state you cannot blame SSC if you get hurt?

Conclusion
-------------

- This may be a rant at modifications indirectly, however it is something that should be taken into account for newer members just getting caught by the hype. I'm not enticing anyone to go to either side, that is your choice. however do keep in mind most mods are permanent, and you cannot go back. One element will be weakened, and another overpowered. Consider the frustration you could put yourself through, yet think about the rewards, think about the gun that will forever be better than everyone elses. Through all this do remember, its the user and soldier that matters most on the field, and their abilities, do not let a modified or stock gun intimidate you!

Hunt_and_Annoy

Post by Hunt_and_Annoy » Tue Feb 22, 2005 4:02 am

Uh... I'm new, I've done mods, and all of them have given me no problem. :huh:

also, if you have a buddy who also mods, you could coordinate your mods to balance each other out and get everything you want -_-

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Tue Feb 22, 2005 9:38 pm

^ A lot of the people who fail at modifications either (1) don't join our forums or (2) join other forums. Typically their failure was their own fault from not following instructions carefully or being just plain stupid while modifying. At least that's what I've seen from experience.

Mind if I add this article to the site sometime (when I get around to it)? It's good to get both sides of the spectrum in an article, and this one does that very well! B)

Godzillasoaker65

Post by Godzillasoaker65 » Wed Feb 23, 2005 3:51 pm

I think Doom means plain stupid as in me breaking my CPS 1-3-5 the way I did. :Hey, that's funny.:
Soak, or be soaked that is the question!

Jadefalcon09

Post by Jadefalcon09 » Wed Feb 23, 2005 9:17 pm

Originally posted by Doom@Feb 22 2005, 05:38 PM
^ A lot of the people who fail at modifications either (1) don't join our forums or (2) join other forums. Typically their failure was their own fault from not following instructions carefully or being just plain stupid while modifying. At least that's what I've seen from experience.

Mind if I add this article to the site sometime (when I get around to it)? It's good to get both sides of the spectrum in an article, and this one does that very well! B)
[snapback]22585[/snapback]

Sure thing Doom, go ahead and add the article when you get around to it. ^_^

vaporizer28

Post by vaporizer28 » Fri Feb 25, 2005 8:28 pm

Originally posted by Godzillasoaker65@Feb 23 2005, 10:51 AM
I think Doom means plain stupid as in me breaking my CPS 1-3-5 the way I did. :Hey, that's funny.:
[snapback]22600[/snapback]

Uhh, How'd you break it? :huh:

Wild Guess: K-Mod shattered the PC.

^This was made by Superstormer. What, do you think it got here on its own?

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Sat Feb 26, 2005 2:43 pm

K-mod shattering the PC? That's absolutely impossible. Your pump should be rock solid from pumping when the rubber PC hits the case. There are some who's PC case has expanded at the screws, but other than that, the only way to "shatter" the PC case is to overpump it after a check valve freeze. However, it is far more likely that some plastic internal will give way before the PC case.

wetmonkey442

Post by wetmonkey442 » Sun Feb 27, 2005 12:39 am

Actually, on my 1200, before it broke, I was able to pump the PC to the point at which I couldn't pump it anymore...not because of the pressure...but because the rubber bladder had hit the PC shell. It's quite possible, but unlikely. My 1200 was a very odd gun, of course, and had always acted strangely. valve problems, pipe irregularities, these can all lead to these kinds of oddities.
Join the fight! Support water warfare in your area today!

DX

Post by DX » Tue Mar 01, 2005 9:46 pm

Overpumping simply can't shatter a pc case, at least from what I've seen. The trigger valve is what will give, because it can't take high pressure. Before it shatters, water will spurt out from the opening of the pc and leak out of the gun, a warning that you've reached the limits.
Mess With the Best, Get Soaked Like the Rest!

2004 Red Sox - World Series Champions
2007 Red Sox - World Series Champions!

NiborDude

Post by NiborDude » Tue Mar 01, 2005 10:38 pm

If you are pumping a CPS and it suddenly becomes harder to pump, that means the PC is right up against the casing. The possibility of the PC casing cracking off is very unlikely. Once it has reached that point, when you keep pumping, you can't pump anymore pressure into the chamber. Simple as that. You'd be surprised how strong the PC casing is. :P

<span style='color:EEF2F7'>Blinding ignorance does mislead us. O! Wretched mortals, open your eyes! -Leonardo Da Vinci