It Is Here

Build a homemade water gun or water balloon launcher and tell us about it.
SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Sun Jun 20, 2004 4:31 pm

http://www.sscentral.net/tech/homemades/aph.php

I probably missed a few things in the guide, but there it is. Enjoy. Also check out what I posted in SSC's news. ;)

RacerSoaker445

Post by RacerSoaker445 » Sun Jun 20, 2004 4:34 pm

YAY DOOM!

Yay! But I already made a homemade and my dad doesn't want to make another.
I don't check this forum anymore.

wetmonkey442

Post by wetmonkey442 » Sun Jun 20, 2004 7:53 pm

I only have one question: what is the total cost for all of the items?
Join the fight! Support water warfare in your area today!

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Sun Jun 20, 2004 8:35 pm

It depends. Your first one will be more expensive and leave you with a lot of extra PVC. I guess around $50 if you want an estimate. More if you make an inclusive reservoir. The backpack is cheaper if you make the trash bag kind. ;)

Edit:

If you want to know, tonight I'm taking pics of my new backpack made out of PVC and my new CPS homemade. They and other new things will eventually make it to the site. Look out for them. ;)

wetmonkey442

Post by wetmonkey442 » Mon Jun 21, 2004 12:08 am

Just bought all of the parts. Except the elbow. Forgot that :P I'll pick it up tommorrow. The entire thing does not look that hard to assemble.

For the PC, the pieces I bought fit very tighty, should I cement them anyway.

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Mon Jun 21, 2004 1:03 am

If you don't use PVC cement on all pressurized parts, when you pump it up the air will not pressurize, rather the pieces will expand. Cement it all, it's not much of a problem.

I didn't cement (or even prime) everything on the side of the ball valve where the nozzle is and before the first check valve. I didn't want to waste the cement there because they will not be under pressure. I now am thinking I should, in case those parts fall off for whatever reason. <_<

wetmonkey442

Post by wetmonkey442 » Mon Jun 21, 2004 8:50 pm

I have a question about the pressure chamber. When I made mine, I cut the 3inch pipe for the PC about 3 times larger than what it looks liek you cut in your article. I am thinking, shoudl I leave it at one, since two would be monstrous. And will havign this extra large pressyre chamber affect the performance? Thanks.

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Mon Jun 21, 2004 9:16 pm

A foot long chamber (three times longer than the 4" ones in my article) will be very hard to balance. It should perform like 3 chambers will, since it is 3 times longer. The performance difference is mostly in shot time. I think you should make it with two chambers, two 4" chambers that is (like mine).

wetmonkey442

Post by wetmonkey442 » Mon Jun 21, 2004 9:19 pm

Well, I have it in my lap right now, and it looks to be about 8 inches long. I think I will keep it as one long one, since I have already glued it together. I can use the end cap and the extra reducers for makign another pressur chmaber for two guns.

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Mon Jun 21, 2004 9:22 pm

Well expect that to be very unbalanced. It probably would make a Hasbro HQ of a sheild though! :D

Edit: I know how you can make it smaller. Just saw it as close to the endcap as possible, sawing off the endcap. Then measure 4 inches from the straight spot in the reducer and cut at that spot on the PVC. You'll waste an endcap, but it should work good. The 2 chamber version with 4" PCs will be much more balanced than a single 8" one.

wetmonkey442

Post by wetmonkey442 » Mon Jun 21, 2004 9:32 pm

Yeah...
Well, I am going to Home Depot to get the three materials I need. The elbow, the aluminum rod, and the ball valve (I thought I bought one, but turns out I lost it <_< ). Other than that, the gun is turnign out great. It's water tight, and seems to be pretty stable. An excellent homemade, Doom. Thanks a lot.

This may sound stereotypical, but you have proven me wrong. I thought makign Homeades was goign to be hard and broing, but it turns out it is fun and interesting. It's pretty easy too! ^_^

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Mon Jun 21, 2004 9:48 pm

I know, and I'm glad someone finally believes me! Why do you think I've made a few already?

wetmonkey442

Post by wetmonkey442 » Mon Jun 21, 2004 9:51 pm

I have a question. I got one check valve that was thw rogn size (1/2 inch) . I am wonderign wether or not I can get a elbow peice that will transition from 3/4 inch to 1/2 inch. I cannot get another check valve, because I live really really far from Lowes.

EDIT: It's done! Well, actually, the only thing left is the pump, but other than that, it's done! I sravenged a pump from ym CPS 15000, and tried it, and the gun worked great. A couple leaks on the top of the pressure chamber, but nothing too major. Of course, I had no nozzles drilled yet, so I got to witness the might of the riot blast. Pretty impressive, even when below a quarter pressure. I am not sure, but I think this marks me as the second one to complete this design.

Thanks, Doom!

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Tue Jun 22, 2004 1:28 am

Good job! Finish the pump and get some nozzles, and you'll have a gun.

You are the second one to finish this specific design, which was based upon pepper's design. You're third for separate PC homemades then. I'm not sure about homemades in general, but you probably are one of the first 10 or 15. ;)

As I've told people, not very hard at all, in fact very fun! :D

Jadefalcon09

Post by Jadefalcon09 » Tue Jun 22, 2004 1:40 am

I talked to my dad, and he says these parts are very easy for us to get. He wanted to ask you Doom about the alluminum rod, did you weld it at all? or did you buy it in its cylindrical form? Also I really didn't understand the backpack mod thingy... Is the trashbag the inside of it?

-Jade