Php Bb

All topics, except for ones related to water fights. Posts made here do not count towards your post count.
Monsoon

Post by Monsoon » Fri Jun 25, 2004 1:27 am

Yes I know of this. First of all, it's a free download from the company. Two, how can I learn/get experience to use it? Oh and yes, The hosting server must have mySQL or something like that. Any tips or help?
Do not underestimate the power of stupidity in large groups

Hyper_9

Post by Hyper_9 » Fri Jun 25, 2004 2:01 am

Uh.. Who ever asked if you knew of it?

A. MySQL and PHP
B. Its free
C. Just do it. Once its installed, it speaks for its bloddy self.
D. FIND A GOOD SKIN AND THE REQUIRED MODS!
Offical DMOZ Editor of "Recreation: Guns: Toy: Water Guns"
Soak On
HYPERACTIVE 4 EVER!

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Fri Jun 25, 2004 2:25 am

The only way to get experience in a piece of forum software is to use it. I would suggest posting at the phpBB support boards, especially for stuff like this.

I'm guessing that you are planning on starting a forum. To use phpBB (and many other forums), you will need a host that has all of the things it needs, in this case PHP and MySQL. Typically you have to pay for those, but you can get them for free. Some free hosts I would reccomend are coolfreepages and 3x.ro. Do not except those hosts to be as good as a pay one, that is a big mistake many people new to hosting make. Also do not expect many people to post as often on a board where there are ads, especially starting off with ads.

The problem is with most forums is that they fail and never get posting. Only start a forum (especially on a paid host) when you expect it to be popular. I'm not talking about a little site's feedback forum, that's what forum hosts are for (proboards, invisionfree). I don't want to discourage you, but you're not going to immediately get a popular forum. It took me several tries to get start a popular SS forum, and the work was worth it I guess. Remember this: a good site supports the forum. The site is more important than the forum, people go to site's when they are interested in the subject and then if they have questions or are just really interested they go to the forum. Some sites are only a forum though, so if you make a good community oriented forum you might start something.

Monsoon

Post by Monsoon » Fri Jun 25, 2004 12:00 pm

Yes thanks for the advice. In the meantime, I got free remotely hosted forums (proboards) and are working out great. All they do is stick one ad on the top of the actual page (not a pop-up). Sometimes it says "Too Many Connections" but that is a minor setback--it only occurrs once and a while. On a better note, I can customize colors, ranks, banning, make forums/categories, and control word filters, much like PhP BB. And also, if I become tuned with graphics designing, could I be able to shape the way I want PhP BB to look like? And one more thing, after I download PhP BB, what file do I click-and-drag to my FTP program? I'm signing up for the first site Doom listed (the other one won't let me register). So after I get the FTP address for that webspace, what do I do to upload PhP BB to it?

P.S. Should I ask this at PhP's support forums?

EDIT-Lots of content
Do not underestimate the power of stupidity in large groups

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Fri Jun 25, 2004 2:32 pm

phpBB should come with something to tell you how to install it. And yes I do think you should be asking this at a support forum. phpBB as far as I know does have skins so you will be able to change how it looks

If you didn't notice, we do not use phpBB, so I don't think that this is even very close to the right place to ask.