super cps

Build a homemade water gun or water balloon launcher and tell us about it.
water gun God

super cps

Post by water gun God » Sat Sep 20, 2008 9:52 am

Hi

I have just finished making a supercps like the one described on the homemades section. I live in the uk so I had to adapt it a bit as I couldn't find all of the materials but it is basically the same.

It works fine but the range is only 36-40 feet which is just over half of what this gun should be capable of.

Any ideas on how to boost the range?

aEx155

Re: super cps

Post by aEx155 » Sat Sep 20, 2008 2:07 pm

It all begins with how you adapted it. Since you're in the UK, I'm assuming you used copper, right?

First possible problem: pipe diameter is too small. If you can, try to get the the largest pipe size your budget for the gun can allow. I'm pretty sure copper comes in smaller sizes than PVC (concerning ID), so that's one possible cause.

Second possible problem: water pressure isn't high enough. It might be odd to say this for CPS since the pressure is ~constant, but if you don't have enough LRT (the thicker the better) than you'll see quite a drop in overall performance (IE: not a lot of water output, reduced ranges)

Third possible problem: bad nozzles. I'm not sure what you're using for nozzles, but the cleaner the hole, the better. That's all I can say on that.

Last possible problem: bad trigger. This one isn't very likely; just look at the valve and see if it's straight through with no obstruction when it's open.

Hope that helps.

cantab

Post by cantab » Sat Sep 20, 2008 6:35 pm

Another problem, perhaps the most likely: wrong size nozzle. Too small or too large a nozzle will give poor range, so experiment to find the ideal diameter.

I would be unsurprised but disappointed if the cause is the pipe diameter, since that would call into question my own copper aph design.
I work on Windows. My toolbox is Linux.
Arsenal:
Super Soaker: XP215, 2xXP220, Liquidator, Aquashock Secret Strike M(odded), Arctic Blast M, CPS1200, CPS2100, SC Power Pak, 3l aquapack, 1.5l aquapack
Water Warriors: Jet, Sting Ray M, Shark, Argon M, Tiger Shark, PulseMaster
Others: Waterbolt, The Blaster, Storm 500, Shield Blaster 2000, generic PR gun, generic backpack piston pumper (broken), 3l garden sprayer M, 10l water carrier:

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Sat Sep 20, 2008 7:09 pm

Aside from what's been mentioned, it'd be worth taking a picture of the water gun to see what you're working with. What's mentioned has been rather general and there might be a specific problem with your implementation.

For another general possibility, LRT degrades with use so you might just need to replace the tube. Open the PC case and feel around the tube. If some parts seem thinner or easier to pinch than others, the tube has thinned and needs replacement.

aEx155

Post by aEx155 » Sat Sep 20, 2008 8:31 pm

cantab wrote:Another problem, perhaps the most likely: wrong size nozzle. Too small or too large a nozzle will give poor range, so experiment to find the ideal diameter.

I would be unsurprised but disappointed if the cause is the pipe diameter, since that would call into question my own copper aph design.
I just guessed that pipe diameter might have a role in the problem, seeing as how there is a larger cross-sectional area to pipe wall surface area when diameter goes up. The larger the cross-sectional area the higher the flow limit, which could possibly attribute more stream exit speed, resulting in more range (assuming the stream size is optimized)

cantab

Post by cantab » Sat Sep 20, 2008 10:50 pm

Ben wrote:For another general possibility, LRT degrades with use so you might just need to replace the tube. Open the PC case and feel around the tube. If some parts seem thinner or easier to pinch than others, the tube has thinned and needs replacement.
He's only just made it I think. So unless he used scrap LRT, that would seem unlikely.
Arsenal:
Super Soaker: XP215, 2xXP220, Liquidator, Aquashock Secret Strike M(odded), Arctic Blast M, CPS1200, CPS2100, SC Power Pak, 3l aquapack, 1.5l aquapack
Others: Waterbolt, The Blaster, Storm 500, Shield Blaster 2000, generic PR gun, generic backpack piston pumper (broken), 3l garden sprayer M, 10l water carrier:

water gun God

Post by water gun God » Sun Sep 21, 2008 6:09 am

should have some pics soon and yes I have just made it

edit: I think the most likely problem is the nozzle at the moment as I haven't got the ranges to peak
Last edited by water gun God on Sun Sep 21, 2008 6:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

water gun God

Post by water gun God » Sun Sep 21, 2008 7:09 pm

This is a pic

(that piece of drain pipe serves as a on board water reservoir)
Attachments
super cps 002.jpg
Last edited by water gun God on Sun Sep 21, 2008 7:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cantab

Post by cantab » Sun Sep 21, 2008 8:19 pm

That looks like 15mm pipe, correct?
Not what I'd use (i'd use 22), but then again, the original design calls for half inch, so you should be fine.

To others: Yes, those plastic fittings are fine for copper pipe.
Arsenal:

Captain Galaxy

Post by Captain Galaxy » Mon Sep 22, 2008 2:46 am

This wouldn't affect the range, but I would suggest redesigning the reservoir, unless you have a tube going to the bottom. I had a similar design for my water gun, thinking that I could just point it down to pump, which turned out to be a real pain. So I rebuilt it with the reservoir vertical, attached to the PC with wire ties. As odd a design this is, pumping is much easier now. You might try an outlet in the bottom somehow. Or use a backpack reservoir. Just a thought.
Last edited by Captain Galaxy on Mon Sep 22, 2008 2:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Live Long and Prosper

water gun God

Post by water gun God » Mon Sep 22, 2008 4:26 pm

thanks all will try these suggestions

water gun God

Post by water gun God » Tue Oct 07, 2008 4:10 pm

Have got it up to about 50ft now thanks again