Broken Arctic Shock!

Repairs to water guns. Please put repair topics in this forum so that people do not have to sort through so many topics when looking for a repair. If a fix is included in the topic, please add (Fixed) before the topic title to indicate so.
wizzard400

Broken Arctic Shock!

Post by wizzard400 » Mon Oct 30, 2006 10:09 am

hey guys,
this is my very first post on this so pleeease help me. i have an arctic shock that is broken and i don't know how to fix it :confused: , i can fill it up properly and everything its just when i pump it and shoot it it only just dribbles out and not its full distance. i've been trying everything to try and fix it but nothing works so can someone pleeeeeeeeeease help me out on this one coz i don't want to buy a another one.

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Mon Oct 30, 2006 10:08 pm

I'm afraid that you have not provided enough information for us to help you. Please read this thread and reply back soon: http://forums.sscentral.org/t2227/ Thanks.

Silence

Post by Silence » Mon Oct 30, 2006 10:35 pm

Yup, we'll need a good bit of information in order to correctly "diagnose" the problem.

Can you pump as many times as it used to be able to take? And secondly, does it only dribble out the nozzle when you fire, or does it shoot every time you pump. If the answer to the latter question is a "yes," then you've probably got to do an open trigger valve repair.

Welcome to the forums! Please remember to capitalize your "I"s in the future, though. Thanks!

C-A_99

Post by C-A_99 » Tue Oct 31, 2006 12:34 am

Most likely a trigger problem, something similar happened to my flash flood's main nozzle, where it got stuck open. (however, I'm having trouble getting the gun itself open so I won't be able to do repairs until later, and more importantly, my 2100's trigger piece is broken)

wizzard400

(I will try and provide as much info as possible)

Post by wizzard400 » Tue Oct 31, 2006 9:38 am

After a close inspection of the gun, I have come to the conclusion that there might be some sort of blockage somwhere but I cannot confirm. Sometimes when i shoot it might just squirt and spray everywhere but i am preety sure it might be a blockage. Thanks for replying to my problem!

joannaardway

Post by joannaardway » Tue Oct 31, 2006 8:20 pm

I suspect that it's a failure of the Max-D nozzle (rather than a blockage), as has occured to most of my Max-D soakers. It's fixable (I've done it) and non-terminal. So, we'll have your soaker going again in a little more than no time.

There are two different cases - open trigger valve that won't close, and closed trigger valve that barely opens (which I believe is your issue).

Ok, we'll start by trying to prove what the problem is.

Charge your soaker, and pull back as far on the trigger as you can. Try locating your finger as far up the trigger as possible.

It may briefly work properly, but that isn't a very good solution. It will however prove what the problem is.

Two options here:

If it's fairly new, take it back and get a replacement

Or, Take out the screws in the casing, and take apart the soaker. The part known as the pump ring (found where the pump enters the soaker) may cause problems. Either use appropriate brute force, or ask for help.

If you can, take photos of the trigger valve. It will be located shortly behind the nozzle, and will be black and white with some orange components attached. It would also be good to get a photo of the entire internals. Try to avoid a blurred picture, and make it a reasonably sized image. See Silence's topic on picture hosting.

If you have no camera, describe what you can as best as possible. If you want I will provide a picture of a similar valve, and you can use that if needs be. Better to get a photo of your valve though.

Then, wait for an answer. We will try to diagnose the problem, and we usually get the right solution.
"Over the hills and far away, she prays he will return one day. As sure as the rivers reach the seas, back in his arms again she'll be." - Over the Hills and far away, Gary Moore

"So many people have come and gone, their faces fade as the years go by. Yet I still recall as I wander on, as clear as the sun in the summer sky" - More than a feeling, Boston

Silence

Post by Silence » Tue Oct 31, 2006 9:38 pm

Here are some links.

Open Trigger Valve Repair--after joannaardway's post, it seems unlikely that this is the actual problem.

Hmm...it seems there wasn't an article on the problem joannaardway mentioned. I'll briefly explain. Once you open up your soaker, you should see a wire connecting the trigger to the trigger valve pulling lever. Manually open the valve using the trigger, and the valve should open properly. If it does work, then take out the metal wire and use a coat hanger (keep the old wire as is--just in case) and bend it into a similar shape, but shorter. joannaardway, kudos for thinking of this problem.

Uploading Images--the guide to uploading images that joannaardway referred to. And my name is Silence on another water warfare forum.

joannaardway

Post by joannaardway » Wed Nov 01, 2006 5:25 pm

SilentGuy,that is a viable solution for one of the possible problems, but the issue may well be with the spring that provides the distinctive "snap" sound of the Max-D valve.

One end of the spring is controlled by the trigger, and the other end controls the opening of the small ball valve.

(Imagine that you have a spring with one end attached to a ball valve handle. If you move the other end around on the far side of the pivot point, as you move the spring over the pivot point, then the spring will pull the ball valve open or shut. It's like that)

If one of the spring "hooks" comes loose or breaks, then the valve can no longer open fully or properly.

If we get pictures then that will help the situation.

EDIT: I suppose an article on this should be done too.
"Over the hills and far away, she prays he will return one day. As sure as the rivers reach the seas, back in his arms again she'll be." - Over the Hills and far away, Gary Moore

"So many people have come and gone, their faces fade as the years go by. Yet I still recall as I wander on, as clear as the sun in the summer sky" - More than a feeling, Boston

Silence

Post by Silence » Wed Nov 01, 2006 9:33 pm

Interesting--I never thought about. Come to think of it, I never really analyzed the Max-D system.

Do these guns actually use a ball valve like that, or was that just an analogy? My CPS 4100 has a spring system on the trigger pulling pin...

wizzard400

Post by wizzard400 » Thu Nov 02, 2006 5:33 am

I fixed it! it seems it was a busted trigger valve, it wasn't opening fully. But I fixed it and it shoots further more than ever thanks for all your help.

joannaardway

Post by joannaardway » Thu Nov 02, 2006 10:22 am

The Max-D soakers do actually use a ball valve.

They don't always open to the "optimum" opening, but apart from that they are effectively an "on-off only" Ball valve with a conical nozzle.