broken aquapack devastator

Repairs to water guns. Please put repair topics in this forum so that people do not have to sort through so many topics when looking for a repair. If a fix is included in the topic, please add (Fixed) before the topic title to indicate so.
iwin

broken aquapack devastator

Post by iwin » Wed Jun 10, 2009 1:24 am

The gun leaks a tiny stream as it is being pumped, and then when the trigger is pulled, it extends its range by about 2 ft. I assume it has something to do with the pump and compression stuff, and before I try to tear into it I'd like whatever advice I can get.

Silence

Re: broken aquapack devastator

Post by Silence » Wed Jun 10, 2009 2:04 am

This sounds like the first issue listed on our repairs page: Leaking from the nozzle during pumping. The spring on the trigger valve has worn out. :cool:

iwin

Post by iwin » Sat Jun 13, 2009 2:21 am

thanks,
i've hit a rough patch though, i took the screws out, and tried to take the casing off, but there's a little tab of plastic secured under the pump handle that keeps the whole casing from coming off-is there any sure way to get it off without breaking the casing...

Silence

Post by Silence » Sat Jun 13, 2009 2:41 am

Sometimes there's a ring holding the two halves of the case together, with a hole for the pump rod to slide through. Is this what you're talking about?

In most cases you can just pry it off with a screwdriver, but if it's glued on, you may have to cut that ring. I remember somebody recommended sawing or slicing it on the same plane as the one that separates the case. This way, when you put the water gun back together again, it'll at least look right.

C-A_99

Post by C-A_99 » Sat Jun 13, 2009 3:47 am

Sawing or slicing can be done with a dremel, or if you're patient enough, a flathead screwdriver and a hammer. (don't hurt yourself though) In most cases, you can pry off the piece with enough force, but if its glued on really well, you'll have to slice it up.

Usually, a leaky valve does not give a stream, but rather squirts out randomly (sometimes in pulses, sometimes continuously, but it usually doesn't give a stream) so the problem could also be a break in the internals, though the trigger spring is almost always the problem. For many leaks, you can add a rubber band or 2 to get the valve to open and close correctly. If that doesn't work, you may have to or want to take out the Max-D mechanism. The best long term repair for these is to find a similar spring in a hardware store. (the springs they sell may be stronger and less likely to break; many of them seem to use stainless steel)