Spell check back, other modifications

Suggestions, comments, questions, and developments related to the Super Soaker Central site and forums.
SSCBen

Spell check back, other modifications

Post by SSCBen » Sat Dec 17, 2005 4:58 pm

Our old friend, the spell check, has returned and is better than ever. This time around I will not require everyone to use the spell check, but please use it if you can.

This spell check appears to be working faster and the learn feature actually works (Or works better? I never remember it working in the first place). The only problem I see is the inability to add words to the global database, but I will get the figured out.

You should also notice the reputation system is back. When you give someone reputation on their post, your message is also displayed in their post! I have seen this used effectively at other forums, which is why I tried to use the reputation system in the first place. I never realized that a modification was required to display the comments in a post. I will make an example of what the comments look like in the next post, as I can not give reputation to myself.

A signature limits modification as recommended by Racer also has been installed. Right now we are working on a somewhat default setting where new members can have 3 lines and one 10K image, and more established members can have 4 lines and one 10K image. If people have a problem with this limit, let me know.

Any other modifications you want can be installed, given they are not too outrageous, too much work, or will be abused or unused. There is a great website for modifications to vBulletin, and I'll link to it here: http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/index.php?

m15399

Post by m15399 » Sat Dec 17, 2005 6:19 pm

Nice to have a spell check. If only every forum had one...
I just tried to do a spell check and it came up with an error message.
m15399, you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:
1. Your user account may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
2. If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.
Maybe it's just me, though.

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Sat Dec 17, 2005 9:36 pm

Thanks for the notification. I have fixed that problem. As it turned out, I had left spell check turned on only for administrators from my testing.

RacerSoaker445

Post by RacerSoaker445 » Thu Dec 22, 2005 2:55 am

Good to see that the spell checker is back, I wondered where that went.

I am happy to see the sig limit installed! I will have to modify my sig to make it comply with the new standards. It should be great for those who are on dial-up. (Thankfully I am not one of those.)
I don't check this forum anymore.

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Thu Dec 22, 2005 1:59 pm

Yes, most people with signature images are very inconsiterate to dial-up users. I did not believe how long it took to load our forums pages when I used dial-up last year while on vacation! You can still have images, but nothing like the huge 40K+ things that people have been using. I am sorry to everyone who loved that with a passion, but you will have to compress your images now.