Reservoir question`

Build a homemade water gun or water balloon launcher and tell us about it.
farocena

Post by farocena » Sun Jul 24, 2005 8:32 am

Hi, first question (quick question)

When you make an APH with two reservoirs, a big one where you keep the water, and a second and smaller one where you keep air. Then you pump water form the big res. to the small one, right ? (I mean the system that followed the original one, where you just pumped air into a water reservoir...)

Well, does the first reservoir need to have a ventilation hole where the air can replace the missing water ? Or you just let the PVC handle the vaccum ?

Thanxs
Fabian

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Sun Jul 24, 2005 1:44 pm

Welcome to Super Soaker Central! Here's a few tips: "vaccum" is spelled "vacuum" and "Thanxs" should be "Thanks". ;)
When you make an APH with two reservoirs, a big one where you keep the water, and a second and smaller one where you keep air. Then you pump water form the big res. to the small one, right ? (I mean the system that followed the original one, where you just pumped air into a water reservoir...)

That is correct. We call the air chamber a "Pressure Chamber" or PC for short.
Well, does the first reservoir need to have a ventilation hole where the air can replace the missing water ? Or you just let the PVC handle the vaccum ?

It will work with or without a ventilation hole, but better with one. Some people have outfitted check valves on reservoir caps to make a leak-proof vent hole as well.

Any other questions? If not, good luck with the building! Please post any and all questions you have here, because they help out when we update our articles. B)

DX

Post by DX » Sun Jul 24, 2005 5:47 pm

It will work with or without a ventilation hole, but better with one. Some people have outfitted check valves on reservoir caps to make a leak-proof vent hole as well.
I actually have a question: Does the size of that hole make any difference? I currently use a 1/8" size hole, and was wondering if making a larger hole [or smaller] would have any effect.
Mess With the Best, Get Soaked Like the Rest!

2004 Red Sox - World Series Champions
2007 Red Sox - World Series Champions!

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Sun Jul 24, 2005 6:56 pm

Larger holes might make pumping at little easier, but they will leak more. Personally, I would use either a very small 1/16" hole or a check valve because the only point of the vent hole is to replenish the air in the reservoir. The air will be restored well even with a small hole.

farocena

Post by farocena » Mon Jul 25, 2005 2:54 am

Thanks" should be "Thanks".
I actually wanted to write "thanks" with an x instead of the "ks", as I usually do... but now the system corrects it automatically...

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Mon Jul 25, 2005 12:10 pm

Are you going to build an APH now? I'm always interested in what people are going to build.

If you'd like some more ideas on what to do, please read my Water Gun TechLog.

DX

Post by DX » Tue Jul 26, 2005 1:10 am

If you'd like some more ideas on what to do, please read my Water Gun TechLog.
Just wondering, got any updates planned for the Techlog? Its been several months since the last entry.
Mess With the Best, Get Soaked Like the Rest!

2004 Red Sox - World Series Champions
2007 Red Sox - World Series Champions!

farocena

Post by farocena » Tue Jul 26, 2005 2:37 am

Are you going to build an APH now?
I will build one, but not now... We're in the middle of the winter, I'm working on night shifts and studying a lot. But I'm planning to build one this summer, so in the meantime, I'm just gathering knowledge and imagining designs
If you'd like some more ideas on what to do, please read my Water Gun TechLog
I will. thanks !