rc aircraft

All topics, except for ones related to water fights. Posts made here do not count towards your post count.
JF2015

rc aircraft

Post by JF2015 » Fri Oct 22, 2010 11:26 pm

anyone here interested in rc planes/helis (not cheap ones from walmart or other stores like that) i recently got an rc plane for a gift its the hobbyzone champ so im really into flying now so im just wondering if anyone here is interested in this hobby too(thats kind of why i have this new avatar
if you get soaked, look UP first

my (rather small) arsenal: max d 6000, arctic blast,ww shark, aph (in progress)

Specter

Re: rc aircraft

Post by Specter » Sat Oct 23, 2010 12:41 am

i have done some RC airplanes stuff before. I have an old electric RTF hobbyzone Firebird Outlaw. it was discontinued like the month after i got it. and even got a second one because my first got run over by a car. so i have 2 batteries and spare parts for my good one. I get about 20-30 minutes of flight time over the 2 batteries. once you get it up, it flies for a long time because you dont have to hold the throttle, it basically can glide.
My "arsenal": Customizable APH, Storm 600 pistol (still haven't finished fixing this), launcher- Model:AB1.0(Decommissioned), AB1.5, soon AB 1.1(2"rebuild) maybe ill get something else in the future
My site Image My website/forum is back up and running, for the most part after it having been deleted in october

SEAL

Post by SEAL » Sat Oct 23, 2010 2:33 pm

Well, my grandfather is really into RC airplanes, and I've flown some of his planes before, but I sort of lost interest. I used to be pretty good, and I could do loops and other cool tricks.

I have thought about buying an RC helicopter for use in water warfare, like bombing my opponents with water balloons, but that won't happen anytime soon, if ever.
Captain of the Catskill Mountain S.E.A.L.s (Soaker Elite Assault Legion.)

cantab

Post by cantab » Sat Oct 23, 2010 3:35 pm

From what I've heard, RC helicopters are really hard to fly. If you want to try bombing, I'd suggest a plane instead, since you already know how to fly them. If practical, have one that will glide stably to Earth if power or control is lost, you don't want a heavy model aircraft plummeting to Earth where people are.

A blimp is another option, though it won't like the wind. You'd want it on a tether, since when you drop the bomb it will start shooting up.

Scrapheap Challenge did an RC bomber episode, in season 3 I believe. Fixed-wing aircraft vs blimp. The blimp won, but the plane never even flew properly (it WAS made in a day from junk after all!), and the blimp was still over 50 metres off target.

You could think about some sort of a gunship instead of a bomber. Pressurised water tank within the craft, perhaps a few nozzles pointing downwards at angles. You can hit a larger area, albeit with less saturation.

Of course you'll always need to be aware of how dropping the water affects the trim of a fixed-wing aircraft or the buoyancy of a blimp.
I work on Windows. My toolbox is Linux.
Arsenal:
Super Soaker: XP215, 2xXP220, Liquidator, Aquashock Secret Strike M(odded), Arctic Blast M, CPS1200, CPS2100, SC Power Pak, 3l aquapack, 1.5l aquapack
Water Warriors: Jet, Sting Ray M, Shark, Argon M, Tiger Shark, PulseMaster
Others: Waterbolt, The Blaster, Storm 500, Shield Blaster 2000, generic PR gun, generic backpack piston pumper (broken), 3l garden sprayer M, 10l water carrier:

-G-JiV-

Post by -G-JiV- » Sat Oct 23, 2010 3:46 pm

Haha, that is a nice idea. I also thought about this^^ I have built a RC plane that could bring more than 1 kilogramm with it, but in fact the plane is a fat pork ... xD
If I get some more time I may try to build something up in this area, but currently I am trying to complet my Super Soaker collection...Let s see how long I need for this^^ :)

SEAL

Post by SEAL » Sat Oct 23, 2010 5:32 pm

Hmm... I guess I could have sort of a shower-type nozzle on the bottom of the aircraft, with a pressurized reservoir inside, although it couldn't be too big.

The reason I wanted to go with a helicopter, is so it can hover around and would be easier to position, instead of an airplane, where if you missed your target, you'd have to circle around and come back.

Water balloons would be lighter than any reservoir big enough to actually be good.

Come to think of it, my grandfather does have a flight simulator that I could train on for helicopters. I don't think I've ever seen an RC blimp before though.

Seriously though, I doubt this will ever happen.

-G-JiV-

Post by -G-JiV- » Sat Oct 23, 2010 5:38 pm

I am also prety good at using helicopters. From own experience I can tell you, it is not a good idea to use it as a bomber. When wind suddenly gets stronger your heli will be blew away and a plane is much faster than a heli. I understand what you want: Flew over your oppenent and then drop a water balloon exactly at his head...Believe me, may it is possible but really difficult, wind can change its position quite fast^^
Then your heli will drift off and may soak yourself in the end :D

SEAL

Post by SEAL » Sat Oct 23, 2010 5:46 pm

Well, I wasn't really planning to drop balloons directly on one person, more like dropping one into the middle of a large squad or something.

Another possibility I thought of, is to mount a camera on a plane/helicopter, and use it as more of a spying device instead of an offensive weapon. I believe they do make cameras that you can mount on RC aircraft, but I don't know how expensive they are.

martianshark

Post by martianshark » Sat Oct 23, 2010 6:05 pm

I was thinking pretty much what SEAL was.

RC planes look like fun, but they look expensive.

-G-JiV-

Post by -G-JiV- » Sat Oct 23, 2010 6:38 pm

Hm using a plane/heli for spying...I do not know whether this is that useful or not...Flying a plane or a helicopter needs attention, so you cannot go and soak the others at onces...

JF2015

Post by JF2015 » Mon Oct 25, 2010 11:29 pm

not all rc planes are expensive only the larger ones at hobbyzone.com they have some smaller planes that are very easy to fly the hobbyzone champ is about $90 and comes with everything you need to fly it but its very sensitive to wind because it hardly weighs an ounce and helis can handle some wind if you know how to fly them planes probably would be better for dropping water balloons but helis would be decent for spying, the are a little loud though
if you get soaked, look UP first

my (rather small) arsenal: max d 6000, arctic blast,ww shark, aph (in progress)

JTSWings

Post by JTSWings » Tue May 17, 2011 3:01 pm

Yeah I used to have a Parkzone Micro T-28, then when it got damaged beyond repair I used the electronics to do a Scratchbuild. I have enough full size(not human size; I mean non-micro) electronics to build a Scratchbuild but I don't have a TX/RX for "full size".

atvan

Post by atvan » Mon May 23, 2011 11:03 pm

I am planning on getting a Hawk Sky soon. I also plan to make some park jets. Of course, I've wanted to a homemade for a year now, and that hasn't happened. I have built up my armory some though.

Edit: Sorry for sort of bumping, but this forum doesn't get much activity and it's only five days.