Where can you get a QFD?

Buy, sell, trade, or discuss prices of Super Soakers and water guns here. (For members only)
Monsoon

Where can you get a QFD?

Post by Monsoon » Thu Jun 21, 2007 1:52 pm

I am in dire need of a QFD, since both of mine are lost and broken. I own an SC 400 and a Splashzooka, two blasters that typically use one. I don't use ebay or paypal so if someone knows a store I can pick one up, I'm all ears
Do not underestimate the power of stupidity in large groups

totokan

Post by totokan » Thu Jun 21, 2007 1:54 pm

Many people have been asking this lately. I believe Ben is developing a homemade one, but I'm not sure of that. Other than that, eBay (which you said you don't want) is your only way of getting it, unless you go garage sale/ thrift shop hunting.

C-A_99

Post by C-A_99 » Thu Jun 21, 2007 2:16 pm

Personally, if you're building a QFD, I'd prefer making a complete nozzle system. I'm planning to build one myself but haven't been able to get to it yet. By complete nozzle system, I mean one where you can fire, but has redirections to different holes, which can be used for QFD'ing and/or filling regular guns. Also, I find those garden nozzles to be horrible. Most of them leak and break easily and pretty much all of their ranges are horrible. On the other hand, with your own built nozzle you can use a ball valve which allows for significantly more flow and range. I'd recommend a conical nozzle here as well, but if for whatever reason one cannot be found, a hose barb should work too.

As for a QFD, what I'm planning on doing is to find a piece with it's inside walls tapered, and at about 3/4" diameter. I tried other stuff, like 3/4" PVC and fittings, but none of them work, and the actual QFD itself is also slightly tapered. If you just want the QFD w/o those random shooting/filling nozzles, just find the tapered part and see if it fits in the SC nozzle, then assuming the piece connects to PVC, you can get some more fittings and get it to hook into the hose. The seal won't be good but it shouldn't be much worse than the actual QFD's. One thing here, you need a ball valve to control the flow, while the actual QFD opens and closes automatically. (designing a QFD that opens and closes by itself is kind of harder and I think it's better to just use a ball valve, which would also allow you to fill non-SC guns)

Well, if you don't get any of this jumble, I guess you have to wait for the instructions. I'm going to develop my own once I figure out what stuff to use, how to get the PVC to a hose that fits on correctly without leaks, etc.

Monsoon

Post by Monsoon » Thu Jun 21, 2007 3:17 pm

Thanks for the info...if Hasbro sold QFDs I think they'd make extra cash they could put to use in developing decent blasters or something...since I know lots of people who need one (and apparently a lot of people here need them too). Only problem is they would probably charge some rediculous amount for them. Anyways, I'll try my next garage sale :cool: since ebay is out of the question for me
Do not underestimate the power of stupidity in large groups

C-A_99

Post by C-A_99 » Thu Jun 21, 2007 3:26 pm

Considering how much regard Hasbro has for most of the old guns (at least the ones better than the crap they can make), we're much farther on getting to QFD's than they are.