SS 300 Worth ??

Buy, sell, trade, or discuss prices of Super Soakers and water guns here. (For members only)
vl61

SS 300 Worth ??

Post by vl61 » Tue Jun 24, 2008 2:46 pm

New member here. I have a SS 300, works great still . Any guess what I could get for it $$ ??

Silence

Re: SS 300 Worth ??

Post by Silence » Tue Jun 24, 2008 5:06 pm

According to our water guns price chart, the XP 150 (essentially a smaller cousin of the SS/XP 300) sells for about $30 in the summer. With a good pitch I'm guessing you could sell the SS 300 for $50 - emphasize its range (second only to the CPS 2000) and the backpack.

isoaker_com

Post by isoaker_com » Tue Jun 24, 2008 5:32 pm

The Super Soaker SS300 is a rare, beautiful BEAST of a water blaster (though sadly also fragile). The way things sell these days, I don't believe that you should sell the SS300 for anything less than at least $80-$100 USD assuming that it is still in good working condition and in good physical shape. I've been seeing Super Soaker SS50s selling on eBay for over $40 USD and wondering why.

:cool:
:: Leave NO one dry! :: iSoaker.com / iSoaker.net ::

DX

Post by DX » Tue Jun 24, 2008 5:46 pm

The only SS 300 I have seen on EBay so far this year went for $177. iSoaker, one of the SS 50s sold for $100!
Mess With the Best, Get Soaked Like the Rest!

2004 Red Sox - World Series Champions
2007 Red Sox - World Series Champions!

Goldfish4209

Post by Goldfish4209 » Tue Jun 24, 2008 5:54 pm

Probably bought by a collector who wanted to own the first Super Soaker model. I'd rather have a water gun fight than a water gun collection, though, so I tend to judge a gun's money value by its power/usefulness in a war.

mr. dude

Post by mr. dude » Tue Jun 24, 2008 6:49 pm

In the WINTER, I saw an SS 50 go for $200.
I'm guessing you can make at least $100 from your 300.

Drenchenator

Post by Drenchenator » Wed Jun 25, 2008 2:11 pm

The SS 300 is a great gun, but in looks and performance. Ben and I did some tests and it averaged 49 feet in range. It was also the first backpack gun.

It is very fragile though. It feels very light when empty, too light if you ask me. The chambers also just seem to come out of the gun without any support. The pump is sturdy and tracked though.

I was pretty lucky and bought a SS 300 on eBay in early 2005 for 30 USD counting shipping. It was new in box too. Talk about a great deal. I don't think that a SS 300 would be more than 100 dollars though, because it is very fragile. It performs well enough though.
The Drenchenator, also known as Lt. Col. Drench.

Silence

Post by Silence » Wed Jun 25, 2008 4:09 pm

The best sales pitches would ignore or gloss over the fragility, I'm guessing. That's not too ethical though. I wouldn't worry too much about mentioning it, though, as I've never had a problem with fragile water guns (even classic Super Soakers). Focus on the range, the capacity, and the backpack and you should get some high bids. The cleanest, most informative product pages show a considerable gain. :)

Cyrax9

Post by Cyrax9 » Thu Jul 10, 2008 9:02 am

Not sure how much you'd be asking for this, but I might be interested in it. The fact that it's used coupled with the fact that the XP 150 is supposedly comparable and the fact that the SS 300 is outclassed by pretty much anything in the CPS line does decrease its value a bit a though.

Granted, there are probably two types of people who would be interested in the SS 300: 1) Hobbyists who owned or wanted to own an SS 300 when they were new, or who simply are looking for a gun they don't have and 2) Parents looking for any Super Soaker that they think their child will enjoy.

The SS 300's biggest advantages are its ability to hold its own against smaller CPS-class soakers despite supposedly being outclassed by said soakers, the item's age, and the backpack. It's biggest disadvantages are the few parts that are supposedly weak, the fact that the item is used, and the fact that there are newer soakers which are better than the SS 300 Of course for someone like me, I'd be buying it to replace my original SS 300, although I don't want to invest in a new SS 300 until I can get my hands on a CPS 3200. Right now I have nothing, after my brother wrecked two of my soakers when we were younger by smashing them on concrete I stopped buying Super Soakers, primarily because I was sick of watching my brother just wreck them behind my back. Now that we're older and he's not damaging my stuff anymore, I'm looking into soakers again. The SS 300 is still my weapon of choice from the SS/XP lines, although my overall weapon of choice is the CPS 3200 if I can find one. I'd love to see the XP 300 variant again; I don't remember much about it, except that I liked the color scheme of the SS 300 a lot more than that of the XP 300.

Drenchenator

Post by Drenchenator » Thu Jul 10, 2008 6:59 pm

Welcome to SSC, Cyrax9!

Given that this topic is a few weeks old, I suggest you contact the seller, either by email or a PM.
SS 300 is outclassed by pretty much anything in the CPS line does decrease its value a bit a though.
This isn't true at all. The SS 300 has the second best range for a stock Super Soaker, falling just short of the CPS 2000; I know this personally: Ben and I measured my SS 300's range--and 30 times in fact. The average range of the 30 shots was 49 feet, with many shots in the 50s.

Its nozzle shoots water at about 5 to 6 oz/sec as well, on par with the standard CPS nozzle size. The 300's big turnoff is its fragility--mine really feels like it's going to shatter in my hands!

Overall, I say the SS 300 is definitely a good buy, especially now more than ever. Current guns can't match it in range, output, or capacity for that matter. Plus, you'll likely pay less for it than a CPS gun.

Cyrax9

Post by Cyrax9 » Fri Jul 11, 2008 4:08 am

Drenchenator wrote:The SS 300 has the second best range for a stock Super Soaker, falling just short of the CPS 2000; I know this personally: Ben and I measured my SS 300's range--and 30 times in fact. The average range of the 30 shots was 49 feet, with many shots in the 50s.
Okay now I'm confused Drenchenator, I keep reading that the SS 300 is "outclassed by any CPS gun" and that the SS 300 can "hold its own against most CPS guns," often in the same paragraph. Any idea what this is in reference to?

I too can attest to the range on the SS 300 being remarkable; back when I was younger a friend of mine and I both had one, and we too averaged around 49 feet with the SS 300, with roughly 51 feet on the high end and about 30 feet on the low end of our testing.
Drenchenator wrote:Its nozzle shoots water at about 5 to 6 oz/sec as well, on par with the standard CPS nozzle size. The 300's big turnoff is its fragility--mine really feels like it's going to shatter in my hands!
Wasn't sure about the nozzle size, but the fragility seems to be a common issue with the SS 300; I'm convinced that when my brother broke mine (he had to be between 5-6 years old at the time) it was because of the fragile design coupled with the fact that the gun had been stored in the garage during the winter. I did take precautions to keep it from breaking but when I pulled it out the next spring it felt a little bit more delicate than when I initially bought it.
Drenchenator wrote:Overall, I say the SS 300 is definitely a good buy, especially now more than ever. Current guns can't match it in range, output, or capacity for that matter. Plus, you'll likely pay less for it than a CPS gun.
The SS 300 is my favorite Super Soaker that I've owned to date; I was quite upset that it only lasted me one season (end of one summer, beginning of the next) before it broke. Had I thought I could have fixed it--believe me--I would have. The two guns I'd really like to own right now (in order) are the CPS 3200 and the SS 300. I know I'll pay more for the CPS 3200 in the condition I'm looking for, but I never owned the CPS 3200 (I have no idea why I didn't buy it when it was new,) and iSoaker ranks it just above the SS 300--plus it's primarily my favorite color (yellow,) and looks like a modern version of the SS 300.

It's strange... this is the Super Soaker's 20th anniversary (the "Power Drencher" branded SS 50 was released in 1988) and you'd think that Hasbro would want to celebrate it. Instead of reissuing the SS 50 as a "nostalgia" item, or a "best of/collectors" line of soakers from the past 20 years though, Hasbro has chosen to release a bunch of oddities all with backpack capabilities, that all fail to measure up to previous generations of super soakers--most of the new guns don't even look like Super Soakers. I really wish that Hasbro had done a "collector's line" for this year (they could've even offered it online-only to avoid the shelf space issue) of great Super Soakers from the past 20 years, of which the SS 300 would surely be a part of.

Drenchenator

Post by Drenchenator » Fri Jul 11, 2008 3:53 pm

Okay now I'm confused Drenchenator, I keep reading that the SS 300 is "outclassed by any CPS gun" and that the SS 300 can "hold its own against most CPS guns," often in the same paragraph. Any idea what this is in reference to?
Where are you reading this? All of the reviews I could find on short notice praise the SS 300 for being both excellent when first introduced and excellent overall. A few quick quotes from the reviews we link to on our review page should illustrate:
Aqua-Nexus wrote: The original water weapon of death. With an 8 Litre Backback to supply this guns 3 massive air pressure tanks, it is the heavyest weapon of the classic series, and almost as big as the CPS3000. Although this massive weapon is not based on CPS technology, the power of it's 5x nozzle can still punch someone across town.

P.S.: This is one of the few Classic Super Soakers to still be recommended for modern water warfare.
iSoaker.com wrote:Overall, the Super Soaker SS 300 is a potent blaster, able to outclass any SS or XP-class blaster and on par with even the mid-sized CPS/Monster series. Power, performance, and water supply are near the top for any Super Soaker.
Super Soaker Arsenal wrote:The most maniacal water weapon ever conceived. I broke into a three day bout of maniacal laughter when I laid eyes upon it. This beast carries an insane amount of water, but can burn it up fast because it fires a third of an inch stream of water. I have had friends lose their minds when hosed continually by this weapon.
Some people dislike how fragile the SS 300 is, but most agree that it is in fact very powerful. Its range exceeds all but one of the CPS guns, and it should at least be able to hold its own with a 5x nozzle. The SS 300 is "outclassed" in structural integrity by all of the CPS guns and possibly by the fact that it doesn't have a trigger, but that's really it. Maybe I'm just not looking hard enough though for a review that says what you said. Could you link to the review in question? I can't see the SS 300 outclassed at all by the CPS series because I view it as on-par with them overall. It has a few weaknesses, yet its strengths blow past them in my book.
It's strange... this is the Super Soaker's 20th anniversary (the "Power Drencher" branded SS 50 was released in 1988) and you'd think that Hasbro would want to celebrate it. Instead of reissuing the SS 50 as a "nostalgia" item, or a "best of/collectors" line of soakers from the past 20 years though, Hasbro has chosen to release a bunch of oddities all with backpack capabilities, that all fail to measure up to previous generations of super soakers--most of the new guns don't even look like Super Soakers. I really wish that Hasbro had done a "collector's line" for this year (they could've even offered it online-only to avoid the shelf space issue) of great Super Soakers from the past 20 years, of which the SS 300 would surely be a part of.
Glad you noticed this. Many people join our forums and wonder the same thing. Why so many weak guns? What happened? We have several articles on our site addressing this. One is near the bottom of our introduction section; a shorter explanation is given in our FAQ. In the end, though, we must consider that Hasbro is running a business and does whatever they think will make the most money. If making new and bad water guns does it, so be it. We all have waited for the return of the old days when Hasbro released good guns every year, but unfortunately it doesn't look like they are going to be doing it any time soon. Though I think a re-release of older guns is a good idea, obvious Hasbro doesn't really care that much. It's sad.

vl61

Post by vl61 » Thu Jul 31, 2008 1:59 am

Wife went yard sale'in last week. She found a a used SS300 in the box.Great shape only needs tank to gun tube. Paid $10.00 for it ! What a bargain eh ?? lol

Silence

Post by Silence » Thu Jul 31, 2008 3:21 pm

Nice! Not many people would understand the value of an SS 300 if they saw it in a sale bin... :rolleyes: