XP270 Modding And Repair

Threads about water gun modifications.
flea

Post by flea » Sat Jun 05, 2004 10:51 am

:mellow: my mate bought an xp270 aswell as me[its in another topic o mine] but his xp270 broke. the pump snaped off.
can this be easily repaired? do you guys have any advice, ive opened it up and taken care into not messing about with it,the parts are all there.and screws
all ive done so far is opened it up, and taken off the tank and the extra chamber that the water gets pumped into.
is there any info you can give me about repairing this? are there any precautions I would have to take into account when glueing bacl the pump into the shaft thing?so that it won't be messed up for good. I have pictures of how it looks like.
also...
if after I manage to repair it, are there any mods apart from adding balloons and doing a check valve freeze on an xp270?

another little thing I noticed, u have not got a picture of an xp270 on your site, I could take a picture of it if you wanted, along with a maxD 2000. :huh: ^_^
Attachments
Dsc02865.jpg
Dsc02865.jpg (0 Bytes) Viewed 2084 times

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Sat Jun 05, 2004 3:27 pm

It's the pump shaft that's snapped right? I would replace it completely with 1/2" ID PVC. How you do that is up to you, I've never had to do it.

Take pictures while you do it and write a repair article on it and it probably will make it to SSC's site. Some say this is a relatively common problem. If you can get any pics of blasters we don't have, email them to me at [email=ben[at]sscentral.net]ben[at]sscentral.net[/email].

flea

Post by flea » Sat Jun 05, 2004 4:59 pm

do I have to be careful in gluing back the pump?
by that I mean, if I put too much glue, will the excess glue stick to somewhere that will make it hard to pump,is it in the path of the water when it gets pumped meaning it could affect the pressure? I just want to know these things so that I make sure I do it properly

I can take pictures of my triple aggressor, xp270, maxD 2000, and I can then get my mates xp220 to take a picture of after, then it could be used in the reviews section...I guess.

if I take some more pictures of how the pump has broken off, would it help in you guys advising me with your infinate wisdom :Hey, that's funny.: :)

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Sat Jun 05, 2004 6:16 pm

Sure take pics of whatever. Get some pics of the pump from a different angle, and don't feel bad if you double post to get them attached, that is welcome as long as there is a point.

I think that the pump would work best of you somehow attached a PVC coupler to the pumpa after you sawed it off and then put the PVC replacement pump shaft in. You'll need PVC Cement to do that job, and maybe epoxy to get the coupler on to the pump. Do you understand?

flea

Post by flea » Sat Jun 05, 2004 7:51 pm

so I would have to saw off the internal piping stuff in order for me to glue it back in?
won't it be good enough if I bung it back in with super strong glue?
ill get some pictures of the problem in a couple of hours, bcos im lending the camera to a mate for the evening. ill be able to get some pictures of xp270,3A and maxD2000 tomorrow hopefully

BlueSmudge

Post by BlueSmudge » Sun Jun 06, 2004 6:42 am

Don't listen to Doom. He is going overboard. If you add a coupler, you would need to use a sanding drill to widen the pump cap. There is a much easier way to fix this.
Go to the hardware store and pick-up a steel dowl smaller than 3/8"
I don't know the exact mesurments, but it is better to go smaller than bigger. Now, once you have that, take the pump handle off of the broken half. It should just be 2 screws. Feed the dowel through the shaft, then put the end that broke off against the other half of the shaft. Push the dowel all the way in.
Now at the hole in the pump shaft where the handle had conected, mark with sharpie on the steel dowel. Now pull the dowel out, and cut about a CM below the line. Now put a bead of hotglue/whatever glue on the end, and slide it back through both halves of the pump shaft. Wait the apropriate time for glue to dry. It should look like the the pumps shaft is together, but when you try to slide the upper half of the shaft it moves. Now that the steel is suporting the shaft, you can safely epoxy the pump shaft halves together. Sand the parts you are gluing before doing this.
Re-attach the pump handle, and wait for the epoxy to dry overnight. By morning, it should be better than new.

Notes: This may be hard to understand. You are basicaly using a steel rod to support the pump shaft for gluing, and to help the glue support it when in use. You do not need to use steel, you could use a strong wooden dowl, or a pencil. But its not like the shaft is going to break again with a steel rod in there!
--------------------------------------------------------------
BlueSoak.net

flea

Post by flea » Sun Jun 06, 2004 10:48 am

ok, ive managed to screw off the pump handle, and I have found a plastic rod around the house which is more or less the same as the inner ring, inside the pump shaft.
there are two rings of plastic on the shaft, the outer one, and inner one, the outer one is thicker than the inner one. ive got a rod that can fit inside the pump shaft, but stops when it reaches the inner rod.

this is a diagram of how it looks, it might make it easier to understand, and for you explain to me, I duno :rolleyes:

EDIT: I forgot to ask,but. you know the inner rod on the pump shaft, do I have to take care in glueing it? does the inner rod remain where it is, and the outer rod slide back and forth?
I just want to know so that I can understand more about how the pump is working.because I Don't want to end up glueing the inner and outer rod on the pump, to find out that the outer rod is supposed to slide up and down the inner rod. :blink:
Attachments
pump_shaft.jpg
pump_shaft.jpg (33.88 KiB) Viewed 2111 times

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Sun Jun 06, 2004 1:20 pm

Whoa, which thing is broken again? I thought it was the actual shaft that is part of the internals. BlueSmudge explained it for the actual pump part itself. Which is it?

flea

Post by flea » Sun Jun 06, 2004 2:29 pm

the actual shaft for the pump has broken off. The white tube thing that is atatached to the pump handle, you see it every now and then when your pumping the gun.
I.e. when u pull the pump out in order to pressurise it, you see a white shaft that is connected to the pump handle[the pump handle is dark blue and the shaft is white]. this is what has broken off. :mellow:
and when I look inside the pump shaft[the white thing] I notice that there is an extra smaller shaft inside it. this is then attached to the internals by some screw. im not sure how im going to glue it. because what I am thinking is that, one of these shafts on the pump has to remain stationary right? in order for you to pump the gun. so I dnt want to end up glueing these two together if they are supposed to move freely between each other. here is a picrure and how it looks like.
Attachments
Dsc02890.jpg
Dsc02890.jpg (84.1 KiB) Viewed 2119 times

BlueSmudge

Post by BlueSmudge » Mon Jun 07, 2004 5:01 am

where is the stopper that is supposed to be at the end of the pump shaft? Do you not have the other half in the picture? I'm starting to get confused, I assume you just put the rod in as far as it can go. Better leave it to Doom.
BlueSoak.net

flea

Post by flea » Mon Jun 07, 2004 5:23 pm

;) ok, now im confused too. the pump, in the picture, it is not the whole shaft that has come out, it has broken off. the length that u see is only like 8/10 of the full length of the shaft.here is another pic, maybe this will make it more easier to understand. :Hey, that's funny.:
Attachments
pump2.jpg
pump2.jpg (20.36 KiB) Viewed 2122 times

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Mon Jun 07, 2004 9:03 pm

I think your best option would be to make a new pump out of a metal dowel rod and electrical tape. Plastic breaks easier than metal. I'll edit in some pics that'll show how to do that later, I deleted them from the site's images directory.

flea

Post by flea » Tue Jun 08, 2004 7:43 pm

oh ok, but I won't have to dismantle any more of the internals will I? by that I mean, I won't have to cut open that massive long hole which the pump is supposed to go in? I won't have to do that will I?
;) :blink: :huh:

BlueSmudge

Post by BlueSmudge » Tue Jun 08, 2004 10:13 pm

I think you could just do the repair I said. If you put a metal dowl in, its like having a new metal one, only you know it will work.
BlueSoak.net

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Tue Jun 08, 2004 10:19 pm

No, you won't have to do that. I'll get the pics up later btw.