Check Valve Freezing Perpose

Threads about water gun modifications.
weird weird dude

Check Valve Freezing Perpose

Post by weird weird dude » Sun May 14, 2006 2:01 pm

I was wondering what this mod did, and how it works ,so please tell me. :confused:
WEIRD WEIRD DUDE...

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Sun May 14, 2006 2:20 pm

What the check valve freezing modification does is posted everywhere. We can't read it for you. You have to do it yourself. Just go and read the first paragraph of the check valve freezing article:
Check valve freezing is one of the most basic mods around. It simply removes the pressure relief valve, incorrectly called a check valve by early modders. What removing that valve does is let you push your soaker beyond it's design specifications, meaning more pressure. Some mods, like a full K-mod, require this mod to work. On air pressure soakers it is the basic power-up mod, more pumps means more pressure.
If you'll need a more in-depth explanation, I'll try to provide one, but I'm not too sure how much more in-depth an explanation can get.

mr. dude

Post by mr. dude » Sun May 14, 2006 6:37 pm

I just CVF'd my Max D 6000, and I'm not sure if this is supposed to happen or not, byt the pressure gauge doesn't work, and pumping is much easier now. I Haven't tested output and range yet, but so far is this normal?
EDIT: My range decreased. I can pump this thing 50 or so times in less than a minute, though it doesn't add power. Have I done anything wrong?
Last edited by mr. dude on Sun May 14, 2006 7:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Silence

Post by Silence » Sun May 14, 2006 7:29 pm

It sounds like the pressure on your Max-D 6000 is getting release even earlier, or maybe your pump is messed up and is not pressurizing the reservoir (which explains why the pumping is easier). First, however, I would go back in and check the pressure relief valve. My guess is that the epoxy plug was blown right out, though that doesn't exactly explain the decrease in range (that may have been an illusion, no offense).

weird weird dude

Max-D 6000

Post by weird weird dude » Sun May 14, 2006 8:07 pm

My pressure gauge isn't working either but if is easier to pump that's bad. I think if it is not visible either it could be a bad seal, broken trigger(valve), or something else I don't know about. My friend's broke and it got like that.
WEIRD WEIRD DUDE...

Silence

Post by Silence » Sun May 14, 2006 8:14 pm

One more question: what range did you get earlier, and what do you get right now? If it's a large difference, then troubleshooting might actually be easier due to more obvious problems, but a slight difference is slightly more confusing.

I don't think it's probable, but maybe you forgot to connect something or another as you put the gun back together. It's always possible, and that's why I recommend taking a picture of the internals before doing anything. I know that several sites (though I can't remember them) boast galleries of internals pictures in case you need to use them now.

mr. dude

Post by mr. dude » Sun May 14, 2006 8:26 pm

One more question: what range did you get earlier, and what do you get right now? If it's a large difference, then troubleshooting might actually be easier due to more obvious problems, but a slight difference is slightly more confusing.
I only tried it without the nozzles, so before I CVF'd it, I got something along the lines of 10m without them. Now I'm getting 5-6m.
I'm having trouble re-opening the gun because two of my screws are mishapen so I can't move them too much. Anyway I'll keep trying to open it.
About the pictures, the wire that plugs into the computer to upload pictures from my camera is missing, so no pictures until that's found :confused:

Silence

Post by Silence » Sun May 14, 2006 8:30 pm

No, I was referring to pictures that people have already taken and left on the Internet--compare what you have with those internals. That might help see an obvious problem, and you might even see it as soon as you open up the soaker.

That is a significant range decrease. All I can say is that with the soaker opened up, you might be able to tell the problem. Once it's open, slowly pump up the PC and see if anything leaks or if another problem surfaces.

mr. dude

Post by mr. dude » Sun May 14, 2006 9:09 pm

I opened the gun, and strangely, nothing seems wrong! The glue is exactly where it should be, it does build up pressure (my PC flew off), and the pressure guage is exactly the way I found it. Now I'm downright confused.

Silence

Post by Silence » Sun May 14, 2006 9:29 pm

What do you mean by, "my PC flew off?" Even if your gun seems intact otherwise, having a PC that always comes off if the case isn't on is a bad thing.

If we can't seem to help you, you might as well call or email Super Soaker for a replacement. They are very good about that kind of thing, and if you also email pictures of the pressure gauge or internals, you'll have unneccessarily wasted effort but maximum credibility.

mr. dude

Post by mr. dude » Sun May 14, 2006 9:42 pm

The PC's and reservoir are easily seperated from the tubing (when the gun is opened) on every single gun I've opened, so the gun built up enough pressure for the PC to come out.
Also, what would I say to hasbro? I can't really mention a CVF because they'd blame me for sawing off a part of my gun.
The only thing I saw wrong with my assemble of the gun was that the PC was turned out of position so there might have been an opening where pressure could escape, if not I don't know what the problem was.

Silence

Post by Silence » Sun May 14, 2006 10:09 pm

Well then, try fixing the position of the PC--it can't get much worse :p .

Believe it or not, I was joking a bit when I suggested adding the pictures. Just tell them all the problems that arose (make a few plausible problems up if you want to), and they should send you a replacement. There was a thread somewhere that talked about Hasbro giving out tons of replacement CPS 4100s, and even now, you might get a Triple Aggressor or, in this case, a small but new soaker. It's better than nothing, you have nothing to lose by trying, and if you ever manage to fix this soaker, you'll have an extra gun.

mr. dude

Post by mr. dude » Sun May 14, 2006 11:17 pm

I tried again, and this time puming was a little bit harder, though not by much. Range slightly improved over last time, but has yet to beat the old range, and the shotgun shot spreads out more than it did before I performed the mod.
What should I say in my letter to super soaker?

Silence

Post by Silence » Sun May 14, 2006 11:26 pm

Well, better performance is good news...maybe your shotgun shot spreads out more because you actually do achieve higher pressure because of the CVF (you did check for the epoxy plug, didn't you?) and the stream is thus affected in a more extreme manner. However, you probably just got greater pressure than you did right after the "failed" CVF, and the CVF probably hasn't kicked in yet.

I'll try to find the thread that talked about the Super Soaker replacements...

mr. dude

Post by mr. dude » Sun May 21, 2006 12:37 am

Slightly off topic but anyway... I just did an XPS mod to my MD6k, and though the stream is less laminated, it gets the same range. I only put 3 balloons on each side, because the fourth one just wouldn't go on. I'll try getting more balloons in (it's that hard to me :p ). How many 12" balloons would you recomend?