Trying to save abused (but still operational) CPS 2100

Repairs to water guns. Please put repair topics in this forum so that people do not have to sort through so many topics when looking for a repair. If a fix is included in the topic, please add (Fixed) before the topic title to indicate so.
Gold Hawk

Trying to save abused (but still operational) CPS 2100

Post by Gold Hawk » Thu Mar 18, 2010 3:22 pm

I have a CPS 2100 I'm trying to open for repairs. Its in great shape except for the faded colors, the pump sticking a bit, and the stream isn't optimal. Before I got it, it was apparently stored underneath a swingset for some time.

I would love to open it up and restore it to its former glory (or better), but all but three of the screwheads are either worn down or blocked with gunk, and I'm not really sure how to get the end cap of the pump off. Any helpful tips or suggestions are appreciated.
"Missing isn't the worst part. The retaliation is." -Gold Hawk

"Exsisto validus, fortis aequora." -Motto of the HydroHawks Soaker Assault Squad

C-A_99

Re: Trying to save abused (but still operational) CPS 2100

Post by C-A_99 » Thu Mar 18, 2010 4:26 pm

The CPS 2100 I got from a friend was the first CPS I've had. It's also the CPS in the second to worst condition I've owned.

For screws, as long as you have enough screws to hold down the casing, it should be fine. The rest with stripped heads can be drilled out which is the most common and easiest way of getting rid of them. Just be careful with the drill not to hit the plastic. There is also a tool for removing them but I don't know much about those.

For the nozzle and pump cap, they can be screwed off if the 2100 is a MK I or III. For the MK II, you'll have to take a dremel and cut along the plane where the casing splits apart. Be careful.

Chances are that once you open it up, you'll have a ton of crap to clean up. When opening up my friend's 4100's, the casing was pretty much a natural habitat housing spiders, bugs, etc. but fortunately I don't think any of the nasties made it into the internals.

Gold Hawk

Post by Gold Hawk » Fri Mar 19, 2010 8:24 pm

C-A_99 wrote:For screws, as long as you have enough screws to hold down the casing, it should be fine. The rest with stripped heads can be drilled out which is the most common and easiest way of getting rid of them. Just be careful with the drill not to hit the plastic. There is also a tool for removing them but I don't know much about those.
I found out a couple days ago that if I turn the drill in reverse I can sometimes get the screws out of guns without damaging the screwholes. The screws get "screwed" but I can replace them.

I'm pretty sure that the gun is the Mk. I since it doesn't have the distinctive ridges of the Mk. II and the dating on the copyright info indicates that its a Mark I. I think the pump endcap might just be cemented with gunk. Anyway I could get that stuff out without damaging the plastic or the endcap?
"Missing isn't the worst part. The retaliation is." -Gold Hawk

"Exsisto validus, fortis aequora." -Motto of the HydroHawks Soaker Assault Squad

C-A_99

Post by C-A_99 » Fri Mar 19, 2010 8:46 pm

I'm unsure if the caps are threaded on, so you may have to try rotating them. If they're glued you can either use flathead screwdrivers to pry them off or saw it in half. There's not much choice you have if you have to damage it to get it open, and as long as you're careful, no other parts will be damaged and only rarely will you damage internals.