Should I Mod or Buy?

Threads about water gun modifications.
Monsoon

Post by Monsoon » Sun Apr 18, 2004 12:54 am

This year I've come to the conclusion that most people think that I'm insane to buy Super Soakers at 14. Instead of buying a Helix (which I was planning on doing, for its avalaible in a shopping store nearby), I was thinking of modding my already purchased weapons. Since I haven't done any real mods yet, I'm asking if I should go on with the modding, or igonore everybody and buy a Helix (or Secret Strike)? The mods I was going to do were the K Mod (for my CPS 2100), to QFD mod (fo my Max-D 5000) and maybe something like a freeze check valve on my XP 150 (which im not sure is possible). Can someone help me out?
Do not underestimate the power of stupidity in large groups

Monsoon

Post by Monsoon » Sun Apr 18, 2004 1:00 am

Srry for double posting, but im going to take some pics of my XP-310 shotgun mod to make that article more interesting

RacerSoaker445

Post by RacerSoaker445 » Sun Apr 18, 2004 1:24 am

Personally, I'd mod them. But, im not allowed any more mods. Oh, and I can't buy any more soakers (just got my 5th one, a 2100.)
I don't check this forum anymore.

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Sun Apr 18, 2004 3:11 pm

Don't buy a Helix, buy only the 3A and the Vaporizer, they really are the only ones worth it. The Helix's shot is XPBackfire-esque, the spinning is more impressive than useful.

Modding is easy and fun if you don't go ahead of your own capabilities. Start with easy mods and move up, if you don't then you'll likely do something you'll regret. Read the Modding 101 article and then try to understand where all the other mods are coming from, once you get how a gun works and how to improve upon it then you can do anything, including make homemades.

Monsoon

Post by Monsoon » Sun Apr 18, 2004 9:58 pm

my friend has a Helix. I see that it doesn't go that far. The spinning covers a large area. It would be good for close-quarters.

BlueSmudge

Post by BlueSmudge » Tue Apr 20, 2004 12:55 am

no...it wouldnt...
--------------------------------------------------------------
BlueSoak.net

Monsoon

Post by Monsoon » Wed Apr 21, 2004 10:49 pm

Ok here's my plan. I open up an old air pressure soaker and use the guides listed here to learn the parts and their purpose. This soaker will be my leaking (and ancient) XP 150, which is showing its age. Maybe then using Epoxy I can fix the leak. Once that's settled I can move on to reading modding 101. After I try that, I can try making a backpack mod for my XP 310 shotgun and a light 20 balloon K mod to my CPS 2100.

Monsoon

Post by Monsoon » Sun Apr 25, 2004 12:08 am

Ok, ok, ok! Since I'm kinda screwed for the K-modding, I'm planning on buying the vaporizer instead. Maybe I can find a Blazer (avaliability differs in Canada from the U.S., remember that discontinued soaker I found in a Canadian Tire store.) and buy that.

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Sun Apr 25, 2004 4:40 pm

That Vaporizer mod I made turns it into a new gun. I would buy a 3A if I was learning modding.

Monsoon

Post by Monsoon » Sun Apr 25, 2004 7:51 pm

I'm interested in that vaporizer mod that turns it into a CPS. The 3A is freaking ginormous (pronnounced jy-nor-mous).

BlueSmudge

Post by BlueSmudge » Mon Apr 26, 2004 3:27 am

what kind of mods can you do to a un-CPS gun other than the riot blast, or drill bigger nozzles. I mean Doom made the vaporizer awesome but he is like an expert in the area.
BlueSoak.net

RacerSoaker445

Post by RacerSoaker445 » Mon Apr 26, 2004 1:16 pm

later in the summer, ill get a Vaporizer.
I don't check this forum anymore.

Xray

Post by Xray » Mon Apr 26, 2004 4:33 pm

You Don't need to be an expert in a certain thing to do it well... (for some things-yes) although it helps. I dunno if this is 'off topic' but I think it depends more on what you do in general, if you find yourself to be a hands-on DIY type of person, then modding is easy first time around (or making a homemade). And, obviously, there is the other type of person who would rather pay to get something fixed, or just buy a new one.

Mods you COULD do to a non-CPS gun (the ones I can think of off the top of my head) -

-Make a sperate or backpack water tank
-Re-enforce the internals & freeze check valve = more pump + more pressure
-(this is what I would do, and have done) do the above step, aswell as hook air-compressor quick-connect fittings to the pressure chamber and use it all [at] 100 PSI

before doing that last step, you may want to wrap the pressure chambers with fibreglass strapping tape and ALWAYS pressure test beforehand by filling everything ENTIRLY with water and putting it up to atleast 2x the pressure you plan to normally use it at.

-blake

EDIT: I also feel odd buyign soakers at age 14+ (im 16 now) , but ive stopped now and im just making homemades from now on, I even make profits selling them to friends :Hey, that's funny.: it helps cut down on my expenses.

Monsoon

Post by Monsoon » Mon Apr 26, 2004 8:38 pm

I also feel odd even talking about soakers in public, let alone BUYING any. My parents alienate me when I even mention the word "super soaker" <_< . This really isn't fair to me because what's wrong with them?! They just have the impression that soakers are for little kids which is definately NOT true. I'm going to ignore them.

Spinner

Post by Spinner » Mon Apr 26, 2004 8:49 pm

Originally posted by Monsoon@Apr 26 2004, 09:38 PM
I also feel odd even talking about soakers in public
I know how you feel, I think I might just talk about "Water Warfare" which I think sounds better than "Super Soakers". You can't really blame people for thinking soakers are for litle kids though...after what Hasbro has done to Super Soaker <_<
ISS: Soaker Sagas

Submit your saga and see it up with other titans of water warfare.