cheap and easy mod for defender

Threads about water gun modifications.
meatslycer

cheap and easy mod for defender

Post by meatslycer » Sat Sep 05, 2009 10:16 pm

I was wondering if anybody knew a cheap and easy modification for a defender.I picked one up today for 5 bucks.

DX

Re: cheap and easy mod for defender

Post by DX » Sat Sep 05, 2009 10:28 pm

You can drill the nozzle for a nice range improvement. 1/3 down the nozzle will get you close to optimal - but the shot time will collapse. A drilled Defender can hit 40ft, but uses all the pressure up with just 2 tap shots.
Mess With the Best, Get Soaked Like the Rest!

2004 Red Sox - World Series Champions
2007 Red Sox - World Series Champions!

meatslycer

Post by meatslycer » Sun Sep 06, 2009 3:23 pm

I would like a mod that increases power.

JuchTurtles

Post by JuchTurtles » Sun Sep 06, 2009 4:46 pm

310BKE7e1wL._SL500_AA250_.jpg
If this is the gun you're talking about, I don't know any whatsoever. You might be able to do a Colossus Mod depending on how the gun works (not sure, never used one). Good Luck. :cool:
The name's Juch, just Juch.
Also known as Commander JuchJawsTurtles, commander of the C0BALT TiDE team in The Ocean Volcano Union.
SPLASH! You're dead!

meatslycer

Post by meatslycer » Sun Sep 06, 2009 5:35 pm

Yep that's the gun i'm talking about.I got it for 5$

steelboot

Post by steelboot » Sun Sep 06, 2009 8:19 pm

You can't do a colossus mod on the Defender as the Defender uses an air pressure system. Colossus is for cylindrical CPS only. Nozzle drill would help and I suppose you could stick a balloon inside the PC for the ability to fire at every angle.
steelboot pwns n00bs
If you have five dollars and steelboot has five dollars, steelboot has more money than you.
GOTTA SOAK 'EM ALL!

JuchTurtles

Post by JuchTurtles » Sun Sep 06, 2009 10:19 pm

Oh, thanks for the clarification, steelboot. You could do a PC swap, or build a bigger Pressure Chamber out of pipe. You could expand the tank, or make a nozzle selector (you'd have to play around with different size fittings).
Also known as Commander JuchJawsTurtles, commander of the C0BALT TiDE team in The Ocean Volcano Union.
SPLASH! You're dead!

steelboot

Post by steelboot » Mon Sep 07, 2009 3:12 am

OK, Juchs, I know you're new, and I hate to humiliate, but you can't do a PC swap either. That's only for CPS/Hydro Power. I don't know about making a larger PC out of pipe, it is technically possible but highly ugly. However, it is perfectly true that you can expand the reservoir by heating and molding or with the Max Infusion backpack. And if you sawed off the nozzle you could make a nozzle selector with PVC endcaps.

@meatslycer and JuchTurtles: I recommend you both thoroughly read throught the SSC "Modifications" section. That should help clarify on which soakers certain mods are applicable.
steelboot pwns n00bs
If you have five dollars and steelboot has five dollars, steelboot has more money than you.
GOTTA SOAK 'EM ALL!

DX

Post by DX » Mon Sep 07, 2009 5:50 am

Actually, you could do something kinda like a PC swap - but it's obscure - you could force mod it [change of pressurization system]. However, a Defender can't really support a CPS system without a rez expansion, and by then you might as well buy a CPS instead. Also, the Defender PC is shaped to fit the style of the gun, moreso than most comparable guns. A force modder or PC expander alike would have to use a PC of similar external size, otherwise it would be wicked ugly. That basically kills PC expansion. Making an effective CPS with that amount of space won't happen easily either.

The only power mod that is practical on a Defender as far as I know is drilling the nozzle. Drills are usually not power mods, but the stock nozzle is below optimal size. Making it optimal noticeably increases the "power".

Oh and there is one air pressure gun that can give a direct PC swap. It's something weird like the XP 310 mk2 into the Blazer or Orca. I was like "WTH this fits!?"...but then realized that it wasn't worth doing.
Last edited by DX on Mon Sep 07, 2009 6:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mess With the Best, Get Soaked Like the Rest!

2004 Red Sox - World Series Champions
2007 Red Sox - World Series Champions!

cantab

Post by cantab » Mon Sep 07, 2009 12:39 pm

I've heard some of the early super soakers can have their pressure chambers swapped around. The ones where they're basically bottles.

For the Defender, an obvious thing might be to make a better handle. I've never shot one but it doesn't look that great.

There is a simple(ish) power mod - disable the pressure release valve. That will let you get higher pressures. But it makes the gun more fragile, since you're disabling a safety feature.
I work on Windows. My toolbox is Linux.
Arsenal:
Super Soaker: XP215, 2xXP220, Liquidator, Aquashock Secret Strike M(odded), Arctic Blast M, CPS1200, CPS2100, SC Power Pak, 3l aquapack, 1.5l aquapack
Water Warriors: Jet, Sting Ray M, Shark, Argon M, Tiger Shark, PulseMaster
Others: Waterbolt, The Blaster, Storm 500, Shield Blaster 2000, generic PR gun, generic backpack piston pumper (broken), 3l garden sprayer M, 10l water carrier:

JuchTurtles

Post by JuchTurtles » Tue Sep 08, 2009 11:39 pm

Oh thanks steelboot for clarifying what I didn't understand. I think it works like my XP 270, and I took that apart. The pressure chamber was just a ball, no balloons or anything that resembles a CPS gun. I thought I could make a larger one out of PVC. I never did, but that is what I meant by PC swap. Sorry for any misunderstandings, I should of made that more clear.

Back on subject, I would definitely make a nozzle selector so you can just simply change nozzles in a WW depending on what your doing. It helps, but doesn't increase power.
SPLASH! You're dead!