Want hosting?

Discussion of other water gun websites.
SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Sun Nov 14, 2004 5:49 pm

Our new host has more room than we currently use. We've got something like 420 megs of space left... and what better way to use it than by giving some back to the community!

If you are interested in this offer, please post. I would like to see examples of your work. Be aware that this is competitive, I would like to host sites that are helping the community, I will not host everyone.

Anyway, we basically can offer the following:
  • Completely ad free - aside from a required link to SSCentral on your links page!
  • subdomain (you.sscentral.net) and directory sscentral.net/you
  • lots of space and bandwidth - we'll never use 20 gigs of bandwidth!
  • SSI, PHP, and even MySQL if you would like it
  • FTP only upload (possibly I may be able to set up an uploader)
Again, if interested please post. This should be extremely useful if you are having trouble finding quality hosting.

Neuro

Post by Neuro » Mon Nov 15, 2004 1:43 am

Psst... I might set up a blog as an example of the hosting's features.
"I used to care, but now I take a pill for that."

You can pretty much ignore the times on that, I rarely ever have Xfire on when I play. I should, though.

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Mon Nov 15, 2004 10:52 am

Go ahead, I've made a temporary place for my homepage until I get some cheap hosting for it with domains. Nothing's up though.

trekkie00

Post by trekkie00 » Mon Nov 15, 2004 9:02 pm

How much space do you mean?
Rereading these forums make me feel old >.<

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Mon Nov 15, 2004 10:18 pm

We've got something like 420 megs of space left...
420 megs sound like enough? I'm surprised we use 80. The site is about 10 - 15, various images we host here about 5 - 10, videos are about 20, forums are like 30 - 40 which is the big kicker.

Actually we can't cap your space from what I know. You can use it up until we run out. But don't do that. If you use 20 megs, so be it. Just don't use more than we do. Remember that the entire SSCentral site with videos is only about 30 - 35 megs. Forums with thousands of posts and hundreds of uploads will take up most of the space.

Also, I think I should say, no forum only sites. What I have learned is that forums only work really good on paid hosting and with a large attached site. Please remember that before SSCentral I have had many attempted forums, believe me on that.

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Fri Nov 19, 2004 9:56 pm

No one's taking this offer yet? I was thinking at least someone would (hint hint Duxburian - you were having trouble).

trekkie00

Post by trekkie00 » Fri Nov 19, 2004 10:10 pm

How do you sign up?
Rereading these forums make me feel old >.<

NiborDude

Post by NiborDude » Fri Nov 19, 2004 10:25 pm

No one's taking this offer yet? I was thinking at least someone would (hint hint Duxburian - you were having trouble).

We were talking about it a few days ago. I think he will talk to you about getting hosting in a couple days, if not this weekend.

<span style='color:EEF2F7'>Blinding ignorance does mislead us. O! Wretched mortals, open your eyes! -Leonardo Da Vinci

BlueSmudge

Post by BlueSmudge » Fri Nov 19, 2004 11:32 pm

I think the bigest problem is the sumbdomain. With SSCentral directly in the name, it makes all the sites seem to be afiliated with you. Of course, its kinda true. But I wouldn't want that for my site.
The idea is to be making it on your own. Not holding hands with SSC. Just because of that, many would choose freehosting rather than taking one of your domain names.

I think, the perfect compromise, would be to purchase a domain name which is way cheaper than hosting. Then use that domain name with SSC space. You get the best of both worlds. Nearly free, and a .com/.net name.

P.S. If you need waay more space, BlueSoak.net has almost 800 megs of space left (at the moment)!
--------------------------------------------------------------
BlueSoak.net

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Sat Nov 20, 2004 12:08 am

trekkie, to sign up you ask me. That was implied from my post (at least I thought it was).

We cannot offer anything but a subdomain and directory. Our hosting does not have add-on domains, I never saw any need for them with us. If you want something different, dot.tk is a free. You also could set up your pay domain to forward here, most won't notice. This is designed to be free hosting. Sharing the SSCentral domain name is an honor I believe, it means your site fits a certain standard of quality. Many sites have hosted "affiliates." Look at ticalc.org. Their hosted sites are proud of being part of ticalc.org. If it's not your style I can't help you, your style should have everything to do with your site and content and less with your URL. If you want great free hosting, regardless of the URL I think you should take it.

Also BlueSmudge, I believe I told you before you got way too much for what you need... even with those videos you still don't use 1/5 of what you have. We paid $30 a year and we still get more than we need by a long shot. Though it is nice that you're helping out by giving some away. You shouldn't need to waste your money on hosting when you should be spending it on what really matters, water guns! ;)

BlueSmudge

Post by BlueSmudge » Sat Nov 20, 2004 2:34 am

Well, I only pay $15 more per year since I share hosting with a friend. I love my hosting, I can have many sites from the same acount. As you know, the grunt is hosted from me, and my friend's site is video based.

My hosting is what I need, your's is what yours needs. I don't really need or want any more soakers anyways. I already have a bunch, and I have no room for more, unless I find a great deal on a great soaker. My 1500 and APH cover everything.

Ok, ill shut-up, since this about SSC hosting, not about me.
BlueSoak.net

CROC

Post by CROC » Tue Jan 16, 2007 1:07 am

I wouldn't mind having my own little site on SSC, and besides, I can just transfer the data from my geocities site over here- I think. Does this site support HTML or is it some other code?
-Croc
It's been a while guys, and its good to be back

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Tue Jan 16, 2007 2:23 am

HTML is what is sent to the browser. Every website uses HTML. What matters if you don't upload straight HTML files is the scripting languages the server supports, such as PHP and Perl. If you're starting out, you're unlikely not to use any scripting language, so you don't have to worry about that. ;)

PM me if you want hosting. We can work something out. Just be patient. I'm really busy right now.