Oh, maaaan... I think my CPS2000's ruined.

Repairs to water guns. Please put repair topics in this forum so that people do not have to sort through so many topics when looking for a repair. If a fix is included in the topic, please add (Fixed) before the topic title to indicate so.
Tim333

Oh, maaaan... I think my CPS2000's ruined.

Post by Tim333 » Sun Oct 01, 2006 12:41 am

With all this damn construction going on around my house, something big has run over the tank of my CPS2000. It's still intact, but it's been dented in heavily on both sides... I don't suppose it's possible to fix this.

Drenchenator

Post by Drenchenator » Sun Oct 01, 2006 1:16 am

There are not too many ways to fix this problem. You can remove and replace the tank with a PVC pipe or large bottle. Or you could also remove the tank and put in an input for a backpack (like the one detailed in this article). If you post a picture of the tank, we might be able to think of a way to fix it.
The Drenchenator, also known as Lt. Col. Drench.

Tim333

Post by Tim333 » Sun Oct 01, 2006 3:09 am

Sure.

There's the old beast, lookin' kind of sad right now. The damage isn't as bad as I thought, it still works.

Small dent on the sticker side of the tank.

Large dent on the other side.

The tank isn't normally supposed to detach, unfortunately, or this would be a lot easier to do something about.

Silence

Post by Silence » Sun Oct 01, 2006 3:44 am

Welcome to the forums! The problem actually isn't so bad, especially considering the tank is so small and it could very well have been another, more important part of the soaker. Pretty careless of them, though.

Yup, use the trashbag method from the backpack mod article, remembering to use a Gatorade bottle or something. I made mine out of PVC, which is heavier, bulkier, has threads that are sharp enough to cut the trashbag if you're not careful, is more expensive, etc.

Yes, the reservoir isn't normally supposed to come off--it's not like the bottles on old Super Soakers. However, once you open up the soaker simply by unscrewing and keeping track of the various screws (probably by taping them to the casing next to the screw holes), you should be able to remove the reservoir.

Some epoxy and vinyl tubing, along with a drill to cut a hole if necessary, should allow for a nice, clean hose attachment point in the bottom of the opening where the reservoir fed water through. Now you can have a backpack mod for more water, without extra weight and air pockets inside the main reservoir.

Good luck! Feel free to ask any questions.

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Sun Oct 01, 2006 1:17 pm

Could you retake some better pictures? These images' contrast and brightness is far too low. I can barely make out what the image is.

Other than that, I think SilentGuy and Drenchenator have covered most every repair possibility. This is most definitely not a fatal problem. ;)

You also could try pushing out the flattened side with a hammer and a rod. This wouldn't involve any opening, but might not work simple because the tank is so flattered. You also might have to epoxy some holes created by the folding (if they exist) if you choose this method of repair.

Good luck with the repair. :)

joannaardway

Post by joannaardway » Sun Oct 01, 2006 7:39 pm

No, this isn't at all fatal.

If I had to repair this, and everything else suggested didn't work, then my solution would probably involve using a bike pump to fill the reservior with compressed air - which should restore the right shape fairly easily.

It worked for my CPS 3200 backpack when I dug it out from under a pile of junk, but I had everything sorted so that was the simplest option - it probably normally wouldn't be.
"Over the hills and far away, she prays he will return one day. As sure as the rivers reach the seas, back in his arms again she'll be." - Over the Hills and far away, Gary Moore

"So many people have come and gone, their faces fade as the years go by. Yet I still recall as I wander on, as clear as the sun in the summer sky" - More than a feeling, Boston