Nozzle selector mod

Threads about water gun modifications.
Commander_Gaunt

Post by Commander_Gaunt » Thu Mar 03, 2005 9:04 pm

I want to do a nozzle selector mod to my CPS 1200, I have done a sort of K-mod on it (I used a bike inner tube over the bladder (very hard to put on&#33 ;) because I had no balloons). But now as I said I'm looking to get multiple nozzles.

Has anyone else here done the nozzle selector mod to a 1200? I notice the size needed would be 1" not 3/4". Also, instead of using a female to male adaptor, couldn't I use an open pipe to male adaptor and just cement it on? Also does anyone have any suggestions for nozzle sizes that would be useful to have?
<span style='color:gray'>There are only 3 sure things in life: Birth <span style='color:red'>Death <span style='color:gray'>and <span style='color :p urple'>Taxes

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Fri Mar 04, 2005 12:24 am

The bike tube will fall off or just damage your PC. I would suggest removing it -- it's not doing any good.

The nozzle selector modification should be similar to the same one I did to my CPS 2100. Please be aware that a female to male threaded adaptor is the same as an "open pipe" to male threaded adaptor. As for cementing the PVC on, I do no believe it would work with PVC cement due to the lack of a tight fit normally seen in PVC.

I'd just follow the modification as in the guide. I don't expect you to run into any trouble. ;)

Commander_Gaunt

Post by Commander_Gaunt » Fri Mar 04, 2005 7:45 pm

Why isn't the bike tube doing any good? It won't fall off (it was very hard to get on&#33 ;) , and I can't see how it could break the PC. It's just like a load of balloons, just thinner so PC capacity won't be as small.

As for the PVC, I might use epoxy resin for gluing it on, as that is good at filling gaps. Also I thought female ends were with the thread on the inside (as opposed to thread on the outside on male ends).
<span style='color:gray'>There are only 3 sure things in life: Birth <span style='color:red'>Death <span style='color:gray'>and <span style='color :p urple'>Taxes

Godzillasoaker65

Post by Godzillasoaker65 » Fri Mar 04, 2005 11:18 pm

Have you tested it with the bike tube? You might of invented the most popular mod for 05 if it is better than K-moding! :)
Soak, or be soaked that is the question!

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Fri Mar 04, 2005 11:27 pm

Bike tube modifications aren't new. Collosusing (adding bike tubes to a cylindrical PC) was around even before the K-mod to the best of my knowledge.
Why isn't the bike tube doing any good? It won't fall off (it was very hard to get on&#33 ;) , and I can't see how it could break the PC. It's just like a load of balloons, just thinner so PC capacity won't be as small.
I'll tell you why in two reasons:

1) The balloon isn't shaped correctly. There is no additional resistance from the top of the balloon. That means the balloon will at least be pushing a little bit more in that direction.

2) People have tried bike tubes, especially before the K-mod! I remember reading at the Aquatica Ezboard years back -- Dirtjump9 had tried bike tubes because he thought they possibly would be the K-mod (ask him on AIM). They fell off. I also believe XN tried bike tubes before settling on the balloons we use today. I'm telling you from what I've seen -- use bike tubes on cylindrical PCs only!

It likely was only hard to get on because the balloon wasn't shaped the same! When Collosusing my CPS homemade, the first time I tried around 5 bike tubes. The first three slid on easily because the LRT wasn't large enough to require stretching.

As it turned out, after the fifth tube was on, the sixth and seventh tubes had to be cut into shorter segments. These shorter segments moved around from the sheer power required to expand. The thickness was uneven and only select parts would pressurize when the segments moved!

Keep the bike tube if you want, but don't expect it to perform like a K-mod or last like a K-mod. There's a reason balloons were used on the spherical CPS PCs.

Edit: Spelling. Apparently leat is a word!

Godzillasoaker65

Post by Godzillasoaker65 » Sat Mar 05, 2005 3:22 am

Oh, I didn't know they had that much history. :mellow: Well at least someone thought of an idea that led to the K-mod to give us more info. -_-
Soak, or be soaked that is the question!

Commander_Gaunt

Post by Commander_Gaunt » Sat Mar 05, 2005 9:56 am

I have actually tested it with the bike tube on and it seems to be working fine, and has more power. But I won't use it, I'll get some balloons and then take of the tube and put them on. I just thought the elasticity of the tube would be greater than the balloons (which it is).

As a little side thing, when opening up the PC be very careful not to push in the PVC pipe (going into the bladder) further into the bladder. It's a bugger to get out, trust me (yes I was that stupid (but not deliberately)).

P.S. I used maths to find that the outside of the nozzle tube thing is just over 15/16" in diameter. Which is also a bugger because I have to use a 1" coupler, and a lot of epoxy. Oh well.

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Sat Mar 05, 2005 3:05 pm

A bike tube is thicker and harder to stretch than a balloon (obviously). However, using bike tubes - especially on a spherical PC - wouldn't get as good results simply because there's no where near as many equivalent layers.

My CPS 2700 and CPS 2100 both had some sort of thing to stop the PC from being pushed in too far. I find it odd that your CPS 1200 doesn't have one. B)