Flanking

Topics about water war tactics, water war planning, and past water war stories.
Flashflood

Flanking

Post by Flashflood » Sun Jun 11, 2006 11:26 pm

i was in a fight with my brother not long ago and i wanted to know is flanking considered flanking when you come straight behind someone or can it mean when you attack someone not in thier LOS (line of sight) like to the side or something

DX

Post by DX » Sun Jun 11, 2006 11:36 pm

The left, right, and rear can all be flanked. You can flank someone regardless of whether they see you or not, in fact, most flank attacks occur within close range of the enemy.
Mess With the Best, Get Soaked Like the Rest!

2004 Red Sox - World Series Champions
2007 Red Sox - World Series Champions!

joannaardway

Post by joannaardway » Mon Jun 12, 2006 10:46 am

Flanking is a way of forcing the opponent to have two targets instead of one.

You and your team only need to attack one group - they have to attack two. Any tactic that enforces this is more or less flanking.
"Over the hills and far away, she prays he will return one day. As sure as the rivers reach the seas, back in his arms again she'll be." - Over the Hills and far away, Gary Moore

"So many people have come and gone, their faces fade as the years go by. Yet I still recall as I wander on, as clear as the sun in the summer sky" - More than a feeling, Boston

Silence

Post by Silence » Mon Jun 12, 2006 4:38 pm

Also, flanking can work when it transfers the attack to a weaker spot or one where the enemy doesn't expect an attack. For example, if he is in a pillbox, you can flank (also called getting an angle on) the pillbox and shoot at him from the side, where there's no wall. If used effectively, flanking can also completely break up a formation--as joannaardway said, it creates multiple targets, and as the enemy rearranges in order to hit both targets, their own line will be messed up.

joannaardway

Post by joannaardway » Tue Jun 13, 2006 9:20 am

Aiming at one group = maybe 20 degrees between target extremes

Aiming at a group to your flank as well = maybe 100 degrees between target extremes.

One warrior can put enough fire down on one group to potentially taken out. When they have two targets, it's practically impossible - unless they can dual wield very well.
"Over the hills and far away, she prays he will return one day. As sure as the rivers reach the seas, back in his arms again she'll be." - Over the Hills and far away, Gary Moore

"So many people have come and gone, their faces fade as the years go by. Yet I still recall as I wander on, as clear as the sun in the summer sky" - More than a feeling, Boston

WaTer FigHt NoOb

Post by WaTer FigHt NoOb » Sat Jun 17, 2006 11:09 pm

in my opinion flanking in most situations is psycological just is much as it is a physically damaging tactic. Some opponents will break and run when faced with attacks that they can't meet by facing one direction and pulling the trigger...