Reviving the Regional War

Topics about water war tactics, water war planning, and past water war stories.
DX

Reviving the Regional War

Post by DX » Wed May 17, 2006 10:29 pm

Ok, as the season starts to heat up, activity has also been on the upswing. It's time to revive the semi-ancient idea of a Northeastern Regional War here in Ridgewood, NJ. The only difference between this year and last year's failed attempt is that this year it's happening. This is my team's 2nd-to-last or possibly last season before colleges break us apart. So the regional war must be accomplished this time.

Another difference is that we now have power behind our local team numbers. Lackluster out-of-town interest can be supplemented by our newly enlarged rosters. A lot has changed since this idea went dead late last August.

Local teams near full strength, plus several out-of-towners, would possibly put this war over the 50 participant mark, and at the least, 30.

The Tech Exhibition would certainly be more interesting, as last year's would have featured old stuff.
What we had in mid-2005:
1st generation Douchenators
Dual Chamber APHs
CPHs
21Ks

What we have now:
2nd generation Douchenators
APR guns
Unique APHs
Water Cannons/launchers
PC Swapping Integration guns
Improved CPHs
CAPs
PPHs

So...a date for a new war...probably a weekend during mid-summer...
Mess With the Best, Get Soaked Like the Rest!

2004 Red Sox - World Series Champions
2007 Red Sox - World Series Champions!

wetmonkey442

Post by wetmonkey442 » Wed May 17, 2006 10:38 pm

As usual, I'm all for it. My proximity to Duxburian means I have a good chance of going. I might be looking at colleges down near there any way during the summer, and maybe stop off there on the way back.

m15399

Post by m15399 » Wed May 17, 2006 11:07 pm

You have CAPs? When did this happen? Please post about them!

Anwyays... Sounds like fun! I've never been in anything above a 10-15 person soakfest with some of the worst guns ever.

DX

Post by DX » Wed May 17, 2006 11:13 pm

"We" locally don't have CAPs, I was just listing what is available in general. My team doesn't have CPHs, either, and we have never used my APHs in an actual war. Yet.

With people a year older than last time, they have a better chance of coming. A lot of people who said they might have been able to make it last year are gone now though. Even just 3-5 out-of-towners would be huge.

Silence

Post by Silence » Wed May 17, 2006 11:15 pm

And now for my question: what is a CAP? Maybe it's time for a Duxburian Dictionary entry, and possibly getting it pinned. It's almost off the first General subforum page, though it might be somewhere at SM...

DX

Post by DX » Wed May 17, 2006 11:25 pm

CAP stands for "Constant Air Pressure." A type of homemade that utilizes air pressure with no drop-off. Very expensive though, and only one or two exist at the moment. Zero battle practicality in the current designs, but a lot of power. Talk to Ben if you want more details in these.

Silence

Post by Silence » Wed May 17, 2006 11:29 pm

Believe it or not, I had actually thought that CAP stood for Constant Air Pressure--however, I dismissed that, believing it would just be another acronym for CPS that would add confusion. Even if I don't build one (I don't plan to), I'm interested in expanding my (and general) knowledge of them. Maybe I could tweak something to make it more battle practical or something--the whole point of the forums is to publicize and share ideas so improvements can be made. In this case, not much publicity has been seen at all...

wetmonkey442

Post by wetmonkey442 » Thu May 18, 2006 12:09 am

Actually, the CAP topic was pretty hot a few months ago.

Let's keep discussion on topic. We need to sort out dates and places, so out-of-town members can know it advance. It'd be nice to have the entire thing straight before the end of May. For people traveling to get there, it would be good to know as far in advance as possible.

joannaardway

Post by joannaardway » Thu May 18, 2006 8:13 am

Hell, I read about things like this, and I want to be there.

However, I really cannot take a long plane journey for these purposes - for one thing, it's expensive - and another, it's not enviromentally ethical.

Well, I'm sure I'll read about it sometime.

@ silentguy: A CA type gun uses a CO2 tank or similar, regulated down to practical soaker pressures.
"Over the hills and far away, she prays he will return one day. As sure as the rivers reach the seas, back in his arms again she'll be." - Over the Hills and far away, Gary Moore

"So many people have come and gone, their faces fade as the years go by. Yet I still recall as I wander on, as clear as the sun in the summer sky" - More than a feeling, Boston

Silence

Post by Silence » Thu May 18, 2006 9:04 pm

@ wetmonkey442: I did a search for both "CAP" and "Constant Air Pressure," but nothing turned up besides this thread and a few that had the words "constant" and "pressure" separated. There aren't any threads that have "constant air pressure" in that order.

@ joannaardway: Thanks for the information. I actually might have read something about using CO2 tanks, and I am actually still considering that in my MT. Basically, it will supply the constant and incredibly large source of air that is neccessary for such a weapon, and it's a much better solution to just using LRT to store compressed air.

I wish I could go to things like this, too, but it's somewhat far away even for me. However, I might be able to go in a few years, if things like it are still being held, and when I'll be somewhat older (I'm only fourteen right now).

DX

Post by DX » Fri May 19, 2006 12:32 am

14 isn't that young. I was 15 when we came up with the regional war idea. :p

There should be several CAP threads lying around, but those references are for another topic...

Keep in mind that the current CAP designs have just about no battle practicality, and the use of CO2 and air compressors make them the most expensive homemades out there. If you want a powerful gun and enough CO2 for a long war, be prepared to dish out greenbacks in the $200-300 range. A decent air compressor is like $80 by itself. Although at that cost, it's a better value than a CPS 2000. :p This should also be for another topic...

I don't know whether I will have anyone to fight in a few years...but I'll try to make some kind of "New England Regional War." It will be further away from you than it is now, though. :p

Silence

Post by Silence » Fri May 19, 2006 12:47 am

I knew air compressors can cost quite a bit, but I didn't realize CO2 cost so much. I mean, people use it in paintball and in airsoft pistols all the time, and you'd think paintball, at least, requires a lot of air. Actually, about one or two years ago, my family got a compressor for bike tires and the like. However, I'm not sure how powerful/appropriate it is in the context of compressing air for a CAP; if it is good, however, I might be able to use it. It could also be used as part of a stationary Pressure Station for SPCs.
Duxburian wrote:I don't know whether I will have anyone to fight in a few years...but I'll try to make some kind of "New England Regional War." It will be further away from you than it is now, though. :p
I'm assuming this means you're going to some university in New York, northern New Jersey, or Massachussetts, though I plan to do the same. However, considering things like this are to be held in the summer, you might have time to return to Ridgewood and host the Northeastern War there. Then again, however, you might have a summer internship or something...

DX

Post by DX » Fri May 19, 2006 1:00 am

You might go through more than $50 worth of CO2 in one paintball game. Paintball is terribly expensive and CO2 for soaking even more, since you would need MUCH more than just those small cartridges.

Why would you buy an air compressor for just bike tires? Bike floor-pumps work fine for that, and cost only $10-20. That's what we use to pressurize the Douchenator.

I'm looking at colleges in Southern New England, and will have a war there if possible. [Northern New Jersey and New York are not part of New England]. I would rather not return to Ridgewood to host a war, since there are much better battlefields elsewhere. I would love to be able to host a large war at the battlefield in Massachusetts of which I posted about 40 pictures on ISCF. :rolleyes:

Silence

Post by Silence » Fri May 19, 2006 1:06 am

I don't exactly support paintball, so I would neither know about the price of CO2 tanks nor would I care. I know saying that might get me shouted at by paintball addicts, but it's my opinion.
Duxburian wrote:Why would you buy an air compressor for just bike tires? Bike floor-pumps work fine for that, and cost only $10-20. That's what we use to pressurize the Douchenator.
Don't ask me why we have it--it wasn't my choice, and it wasn't my buy. However, I doubt it cost $80--it's probably just a weak one that suffices for bike tire filling.

I doubt your battlefields are that bad; I'm sure you're just getting bored with them (no offense). Because I don't know of any local water warfare teams, I can't play as often, which leaves me as a techie who ventures out with a soaker every now and then. However, I hope to change that this summer :cool: ... I'll certainly take a look at the Massachusetts battlefield, though, if you're so impressed by it and others that you've seen.

DX

Post by DX » Fri May 19, 2006 1:18 am

http://www.isoaker.com/cgi-bin/Ikonboar ... ;f=31;t=67

Blows away everything in Ridgewood...by a lot. Our largest park here is 2 miles long, about 1/8-1/4 of a mile wide. This place in MA is about 3-5 square miles, and I don't know for sure because I've only explored a quarter of its total area!