Two new rules

Suggestions, comments, questions, and developments related to the Super Soaker Central site and forums.
SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Mon Apr 11, 2005 4:21 pm

Post whoring is banned.

This essentially means, do not post more than a reasonable amount of posts a day! Just recently, a new member had on average 43 posts a day. That is far too many posts per day, and these posts weren't even of great quality. Quality over quantity kids.

Stupidity is banned. (you heard it right)

This rule pretty much covers everything. Don't do anything stupid. Don't do anything you might regret.

I will be formally adding these to the rules later today.

Godzillasoaker65

Post by Godzillasoaker65 » Mon Apr 11, 2005 8:24 pm

That last rule is a good one. I have been annoyed bye some stupidity, and useless posts lately. Also, just a note: USE THE DARN SPELL CHECK! If you forget to sometimes you can always edit your post.
Soak, or be soaked that is the question!

NiborDude

Post by NiborDude » Tue Apr 12, 2005 12:45 am

Originally posted by Doom@Apr 11 2005, 11:21 AM
Post whoring is banned.

This essentially means, do not post more than a reasonable amount of posts a day! Just recently, a new member had on average 43 posts a day. That is far too many posts per day, and these posts weren't even of great quality. Quality over quantity kids.

This rule pretty much covers everything. Don't do anything stupid. Don't do anything you might regret.

[snapback]23797[/snapback]

Hey, that's funny.. Post whoring eh? Yeah, I can see what you mean. It was annoying seeing all those post when most of them were spam.

The banning of stupidity is kind of unfair to us less smart people. :P

<span style='color:EEF2F7'>Blinding ignorance does mislead us. O! Wretched mortals, open your eyes! -Leonardo Da Vinci

perilous1

Post by perilous1 » Tue Apr 12, 2005 1:23 am

I have looked at the rules now and I will do my best to follow them, and I seriously mean that. I guess I went overboard with te posts yesterday. I hadn't looked at the rules then, but now I hve and I will do my best to follow them. I think this post adds to the topic and so therefore I don't think that it is spam. I have clean now. Yes I have.

Spinner

Post by Spinner » Tue Apr 12, 2005 10:47 am

Originally posted by perilous1@Apr 12 2005, 01:23 AM
I have looked at the rules now and I will do my best to follow them, and I seriously mean that. I guess I went overboard with te posts yesterday. I hadn't looked at the rules then, but now I hve and I will do my best to follow them. I think this post adds to the topic and so therefore I don't think that it is spam. I have clean now. Yes I have.
[snapback]23819[/snapback]

We look forward to your good posting, in that case. ;)
ISS: Soaker Sagas

Submit your saga and see it up with other titans of water warfare.

MilkMan

Post by MilkMan » Tue Apr 12, 2005 7:53 pm

Hehe it's ok. When I first started posting here I had around 12 posts a day. I know what it's like. You just can't stop. Now I have .8 a day.(Hey, that's funny.)
"Anything with a nozzle and a pump is good enough for me." <--------------- Same lying signature 3 years and counting!

isoaker_com

Post by isoaker_com » Sun Apr 24, 2005 4:12 pm

Originally posted by Doom@Apr 11 2005, 11:21 AM
Post whoring is banned.

[snapback]23797[/snapback]

Just noticed these new rules today and wanted to push up some thoughts of my own on these new rules.

Posting a lot of posts is a bad thing even if there is content? Post whoring is one of those subjective things I never particularly liked. If there's good content in posts, does making 'more than the usual' number of posts in a day become a bad thing? If there's no content, then those posts should just be considered spam and dealt with. If content is considered too limited, perhaps a simple PM to an individual would work more effectively.

As for banning stupidity... :huh:
Actually, I'm opting to not bother further commenting on that one.

Oh well.. me, I just comment. Do with these comments are you please.

B)
:: Leave NO one dry! :: iSoaker.com / iSoaker.net ::

Hunt_and_Annoy

Post by Hunt_and_Annoy » Sun Apr 24, 2005 5:09 pm

I agree with isoaker, if people can do a large amount of posts and still have good content, why not let them?

As for banning stupidity...uh...uuuhhhh.....well....umm.... :blink: :blink:

NiborDude

Post by NiborDude » Sun Apr 24, 2005 5:31 pm

Post whoring is almost like posting so much on the forums it's like talking on aim. During that time when there was post whoring, you could see two people had posts only 2 or 3 minutes after each other. I think if you are going to post a lot, the posts need to have some kind of meaning. If you post a lot and the posts are considered "good," then no one will bother warning you. If you post a load of XPBackfire-esque really quickly, then a Mod or Admin might get mad at you.

<span style='color:EEF2F7'>Blinding ignorance does mislead us. O! Wretched mortals, open your eyes! -Leonardo Da Vinci

MilkMan

Post by MilkMan » Sun Apr 24, 2005 6:31 pm

No offense to your views but I doubt it's even humanly possible to post 43 posts a day and for all of them to be high quality.
"Anything with a nozzle and a pump is good enough for me." <--------------- Same lying signature 3 years and counting!

NiborDude

Post by NiborDude » Sun Apr 24, 2005 7:00 pm

Uh, I wasn't saying that necessarily. Having 43 posts in a day and having them all be good quality is very unlikely. I'm saying posting 10 good posts in a period of 30 minutes. I think that is very possible. I'm not saying they have to be extremely long, I just think they need to have some kind of relevance.

isoaker_com

Post by isoaker_com » Sun Apr 24, 2005 9:50 pm

I agree that posting 43 times a day and having 'high quality' in each post is unlikely, but as NiborDude suggested, if posts are of good quality, no one will question them. Lots of mostly useless posts takes on the flavour of spam to me, thus I've not felt a need to sub-divide things further into post whoring.

Last thing I'd recommend is any rule that limits potentially good discussion even if the posts appear shorter at first.

I should also note I understand why these rules were considered in the first place. I just am not too sure these sort of rules are the best way to promote the sort of posting styles preferred here.

Edit: Quoting and Fast Reply don't work together it appears. Oh well...
:: Leave NO one dry! :: iSoaker.com / iSoaker.net ::