Giant water cannon w/ 2 inch nozzle or more

Build a homemade water gun or water balloon launcher and tell us about it.
CRAZY Homemade

Roit destroyer!!!! (Giant water cannon w/ 2 inch nozzle or more)

Post by CRAZY Homemade » Sat May 06, 2006 7:50 pm

This is for real, it is not a joke.

Also its design is revulsionary. The pc is slanted at a 45 degree angle for a more laminated flow and for more compactness. Also it reduces the number of parts and joints that could go awry. Another plus is that it also reduces the price of the soaker and the time it takes to make it.
Okay this giant water gun's pc is made of 4-4 inch diameter piping that is four OR eight foot long. It is slanted at a 45 degree. The pc is either 35,000 ml or 68,000 ml! I will get some pictures and write up a better article once I get further along with my project. So far the project has cost me fifty dollars and it is expected to be eight dollars.
The pump is three stage and vertical. Its inner stage is 1" diameter, the middle stage is 1 1/2" diameter and the outer stage is 2" diameter for quick pumping.
So I will get the picture and the article once I get further along.
Also it should be done by the end of the month.

My second project is a smaller version of the gun, but the pc will be around 3000-4000 ml!

Then there is my current project, it combines the simplicity of the 2 liter homemade with a pump and a backpack reservoir. It uses a tandem 2 stage pump. Where the first and second stage are used at the same time. This way the pump package can be smaller yet retain the capacity of a larger pump. The inner pump is 1/2 inch or smaller and the outer one is 3/4 inch or smaller. The pump length is about a foot long and 2.5 foot long extended. The reservoir is made of a 500 ml soda bottle; yes, a soda bottle. I will have the pictures hopeful by the end of the week.

With some new calculations, 60-90 psi, and a three inch nozzle, I can get a firing rate of excess of 60,000 ml a second or over 15 gallons a second!!!! Talk about soakage!!!!

So, suggestions, comments? Need to whack me with a bat? :p
Last edited by CRAZY Homemade on Sat May 06, 2006 9:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: for more info

Silence

Post by Silence » Sat May 06, 2006 10:39 pm

Welcome to SSC--I hope you continue to have ambitious (in a good way) plans for new homemades. First of all, do you have any Paint diagrams of your homemade plans?

Okay, a few questions must be answered before I get to the finer details. (1) Is this intended for battle practicality (I'm not expecting it to be, and don't feel afraid to say that it isn't designed for that purpose)? (2) How can one possibly fill the PC using a pump in less than 100-200 pumps (rough estimation)?

And now to the finer details... Exactly why does this require a 45 degree joint? If anything, it would allow for somewhat linear flow while only firing water at angles up to 45 degrees, but it won't make the design simpler, more reliable, or cheaper.

You also said, "So far the project has cost me fifty dollars and it is expected to be eight dollars." Do you mean it will only cost $58 ($8 more to pay)?

As for your current project (the backpack two-liter), I don't see how you can get large-pump performance from only a small pump. If you mean to use a very wide pump tube, then you can pressurize the PC faster, but it'll be slightly harder to do so. A diagram might help here, too.

I'm assuming that when you said the reservoir was 500 mL, you meant the PC. A reservoir that small won't last you any length of time. Also, a pump that long (>12") is possible, but average commercial soakers have pump 6" long. If I had a choice, I would use at least 8", but probably no more.

I haven't meant to be overly critical, but there have definitely been some questions. Overall, while most of the suggestions are good, such a large cannon is really only possible with a Schrader valve or with automatic air compressors--even the Monster XL (MXL) is considered too clumsy!

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Sun May 07, 2006 3:22 am

Welcome to Super Soaker Central.

You've described some interesting projects. The two inch nozzle water gun sounds interesting, but I am wondering what it could be used for (the only thing I can think of is inimidation!). I doubt that you would get very good performance with 60 - 90 PSI with a two inch nozzle, but we'll see. Good luck with the construction. I hope to see some pictures of this soon! :)

Silence

Post by Silence » Sun May 07, 2006 3:28 am

Oh yes, that could be a problem too...at a certain pressure (60-90 PSI), the nozzle area will influence the velocity. Since the nozzle will be at least 16X larger (in area, not in diameter) than a standard riot blast from an APH, you're not going to get too much velocity.

This really affects your range and, to some extent, your output!

CRAZY Homemade

Post by CRAZY Homemade » Sun May 07, 2006 3:32 am

The pc is angled at a forty five degree angle which will require the elbow to keep the shot relatively level to the ground, this way the water is more laminated (I will make a diagram tomorrow).
At the very best it would be a permanent base defender (with a smaller fan nozzle).
It would take less then 120 pumps for one person, less then 60 pumps for two and 40 pumps for three (which I am designing it for, if used in a battle, two of the pumpers (I know it is not a real word) could also have larger cps pre pumped)

I meant eighty dollars.

I am using your two stage pump idea.

Sorry, it was supposed to be an interchangeable pc that can any size, but still has the typical bottle (water or soda) mouth size. (two liter bottles, one liters, 20 ounce, half liter, pints, etc.)

However, the second two cannon/gun are only 1'1/2 long !! (definitely smaller than the monster xl)

All diagrams should be up by the end of the week!!

CRAZY Homemade

Post by CRAZY Homemade » Sun May 07, 2006 3:45 am

Thank-you for the welcoming, but remember the pressure chamber is 22 gallon (new statistics); that is nearly 70 x larger then the APH. Also it is simpler.
Last edited by CRAZY Homemade on Sun May 07, 2006 3:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: edit

DX

Post by DX » Sun May 07, 2006 3:57 am

With some new calculations, 60-90 psi, and a three inch nozzle, I can get a firing rate of excess of 60,000 ml a second or over 15 gallons a second!! Talk about soakage!!
That's not going to work. A 22 gallon pc is going to require more than 60-90 PSI if you want to use all of it in one shot. That's a lot of water you're attempting to move. If you don't have enough pressure, not all the water will be shot and your output rating will fall due to slow stream velocity. Actually, moving such an extreme amount of water is going to slow your stream velocity so severely that I wouldn't expect an output rating anywhere near your estimate. Stream velocity will make or break your output.

Also, how do you propose to use this in a battle? 22 gallons weighs quite a lot [glances over at heavy 10 gallon fish tank].
Mess With the Best, Get Soaked Like the Rest!

2004 Red Sox - World Series Champions
2007 Red Sox - World Series Champions!

CRAZY Homemade

Post by CRAZY Homemade » Sun May 07, 2006 4:03 am

That is why I post here, I am looking at the 360 psi tubes in mcmaster (that should help).

CRAZY Homemade

Post by CRAZY Homemade » Sun May 07, 2006 5:41 pm

Ok, change of plans.
In the side of one of the pc, I am going to drill a hole for an air quick connect. This quick connect is going to be 3/4 of th way up the pc. So when you pump, it would be unconnected for quick pumping, then it would be connected to to a large air compressor when the water has reached the 3/4 mark. Then pressured to 140 psi. This way I can pump it in 20 pumps!
(Yes, I have a 30 gallon air compressor.)

joannaardway

Post by joannaardway » Sun May 07, 2006 5:58 pm

I'd like to know how exactly you intend on using this.

Is it a massive base defense weapon? Or are you capable of carrying around 68 kg (more than I weigh) freely?

If I were you, I would go for something simpler. The odds are saying that this won't be the best use of money...
"Over the hills and far away, she prays he will return one day. As sure as the rivers reach the seas, back in his arms again she'll be." - Over the Hills and far away, Gary Moore

"So many people have come and gone, their faces fade as the years go by. Yet I still recall as I wander on, as clear as the sun in the summer sky" - More than a feeling, Boston

CRAZY Homemade

Post by CRAZY Homemade » Sun May 07, 2006 11:29 pm

Hey I am a weird guy, and no I am not carrying 170 pounds, I have a stand in the planing stage for it. It is mainly for show off, if fire-fighting hoses are used for riot control, then what is its used then? ;)

CRAZY Homemade

Post by CRAZY Homemade » Mon May 08, 2006 1:49 am

Okay here is the first diagram. Questions?

joannaardway

Post by joannaardway » Mon May 08, 2006 11:29 am

Assuming you can achieve a 2000x (60000 ml a sec) output, are you going to be bolting this thing to something? It's going to be moving back very, very fast.

You're going to need pressures up towards (or above) 200 psi to achieve what you are planning, and most compressors aren't able to do that.

I think that you are going to end up creating the world's largest water powered torpedo...
"Over the hills and far away, she prays he will return one day. As sure as the rivers reach the seas, back in his arms again she'll be." - Over the Hills and far away, Gary Moore

"So many people have come and gone, their faces fade as the years go by. Yet I still recall as I wander on, as clear as the sun in the summer sky" - More than a feeling, Boston

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Mon May 08, 2006 9:45 pm

I agree with joanna. This seems to be more of a water rocket than a water gun. You will have massive recoil if you are successful.

Make sure to install a pressure guage onto the pressure chambers as well. You'll definitely need to know the pressure you are operating at to get this water gun to work well. I doubt that you'll be able to get

On something else: are you sure that you know how long 10 feet is? I have a single 10 foot piece of 4 inch pressure rated pipe in my garage. It's taller than the ceiling. At an angle, it will be shorter, but still be extremely tall and long.

I'd also recommend changing your plan for filling. I am assuming from what you have written that you intend to pump the water in - that would not be ideal. Instead, just pour the water through the nozzle because the nozzle is quite large enough. ;)

CRAZY Homemade

Post by CRAZY Homemade » Tue May 09, 2006 3:19 am

Actual, my pumping method is quicker, I insist. I guess I should of have said this earlier, that was my highest estimate to get everyone's hope up, but it should have at least 20000-30000 ml sec. Also that was the riot blast (a really massive one).
Think of this as a howitzer, water style. There would be a massive stand that I will be erecting (maybe even a heavy trailer with shovel attachment, retractable stands, etc.)