Water gun link exchange

Discussion of other water gun websites.
SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Mon Jul 11, 2005 11:12 pm

Would anyone be interested in a link exchange program?

I had been thinking that a water gun link exchange program would be perfect for sites starting out, especially if we use targeted anchor text (research SEO for more information). I'm still working this out, but it could be good for everyone if we had a simple text link exchange set up.

What do you guys think? Do we have enough sites today, or should we wait for more sites to appear? Would you participate in a link exchange?

trekkie00

Post by trekkie00 » Tue Jul 12, 2005 1:11 am

I (Water Gun Network) would gladly participate in one. Our forums are looking like this right now:

Rereading these forums make me feel old >.<

DX

Post by DX » Tue Jul 12, 2005 1:51 am

SM gives its full support. A link exchange program would be beneficial for the entire community. Why not do it?
Mess With the Best, Get Soaked Like the Rest!

2004 Red Sox - World Series Champions
2007 Red Sox - World Series Champions!

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Wed Jul 13, 2005 1:20 am

Good to see that there's some interest!

Here's the basic idea if someone doesn't understand: you put the link exchange code on your website (if your server supports PHP or another scripting language) or you manually put and update the actual code, which would be tedious.

The links would be descriptive of what your site offers in a short keyword form. The links will be placed on every single page of your website, ideally in a place where they would get notice. Here's a possible example: Water gun plans - Water gun message board - Super Soaker - Super Soaker reviews

Of course, these descriptions will rotate if you use the script (you will have multiple descriptions). The purpose of the descriptions is to let people choose by what they are interested in - not site name or reputation. This style also helps in search engines through what is called targeted anchor text (the extreme side has been called "Google bombing").

I'm working on the script at the moment - it should be fairly simple to sign up for, but everything must be manually added into the system still. I'm also trying to secure a "neutral-ground" domain name because some people at our forums are opposed to everything hosted on one site - which is absolutely silly because that's how most sites function.

This is different in the previous Webring and it will replace it. This helps sites out more, given a large number of sites participate.

With that said, if you haven't made a site, make one! Making a site is easy if you just open up a work processor, write 10 articles and put them online. If you already have a site, it would help everyone if you participated in this link exchange program.