One year in online soaking

Discussion of other water gun websites.
Spinner

Post by Spinner » Thu Feb 10, 2005 9:39 am

Today is the first anniversary of my joining SSCentral, which was also the first soaking forums for me to join. :blink:

It's been an incredible year for me. SSC went from being in a dying state to being the most popular forums around. I launched the ISS which proved remarkably popular. And then I went from SSC new member all the way up to the dizzy heights of being an Administrator with over 950 posts, assisting with the v3 redesign. Not bad for one year...

Still, I wasn't a perfect poster by any means when I started. I was looking back through some of my old posts and I cringe at the length and content of some of them. -_- Luckily for me though, I didn't do anything too incorrect to get chucked out, and did a sufficient number of things correctly to continue "up the ranks". :mellow:

Basically it shows that no matter who you are, if you do things in a way that's liked here, you can go far. I just happened to click. ^_^

I don't want this to sound egotistical or self-proclamatory or anything, I just felt like making this topic...*looks wistfully back* *play violin music* :P
ISS: Soaker Sagas

Submit your saga and see it up with other titans of water warfare.

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Thu Feb 10, 2005 10:49 pm

Topics like this are interesting always. Check my posts as well -- a year or two back I wasn't the same person exactly like Spinner has noticed of himself. Over time improvements are made, and we're always getting better!

I joined Aquatica some time in July 2002, though I had been surfing the various water gun sites for some time before then. Strange thing was, I never knew about iSoaker.com until after I joined Aquatica, which now I find very strange considering that it is the most popular site around! The Aqua-Nexus was what let me to Aquatica, and I suppose that site served it's purpose at the time.

In no time it'll be your third anniversary!

superstormer

Post by superstormer » Thu Feb 10, 2005 11:05 pm

I find that especially true with me. I joined Soakerdom on January 24, 2003 at 9:42PM. I still remember clicking on the join button at WaterWar.net. I joined as a ten-year-old, so I was pretty immature and my posts were pretty short and didn't have much content. I posted exclusively at WaterWar.net for a few months and later found SuperSoaker TK.

I liked it because it was smaller and more relaxed, and I can still remember how fun it was to spam the chatbox. Then came SSCentral, and I registered as soon as I found it. I still posted only at WaterWar.net, and got my post count to the third highest, only to Mafo0 and General RAK. I posted occasionally at SSCentral, and I remember signing up as an Article Editor along with Ender. No-one sent e-mails, so my job was pretty moot. Eventually, the password and login stopped working, so I PMed Doom about it. He said it didn't work any more, and was so nice to offer me a Moderator position.

If you look at my past posts, they were terrible. Like very low quality. But this shows that you should be patient with newbies because they might have potential to become great members. Eventually, I shaped up my posts and started being a good poster. When the second board at WaterWar.net rolled around, I started posting exclusively here.

Edit: Paragraph form. Spell-checkz0r.
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Socrates)</div><div class='quotemain'>I drank what?!</div>

DX

Post by DX » Fri Feb 11, 2005 8:35 pm

My 1st anniversary of joining passed about a week ago. I started at the Waterbridge Forum, learning of the larger communites like WWN and SSC through my friend Belisaurius. Back then you could actually keep track of the new topics and the such. I spent very little time in the newbie stage. I wasn't clueless like many are and I knew how to spell. Right off the bat most of my posts had content and very few were short and pointless. I posted here exclusively until WWN was closed and I started posting at the new Isoaker forums. Presently I post at more than 5 soaking forums and browse at about 12. :blink: This year has been highly productive with the creation of a new team and the founding of Soaker Media.
Mess With the Best, Get Soaked Like the Rest!

2004 Red Sox - World Series Champions
2007 Red Sox - World Series Champions!

Spinner

Post by Spinner » Fri Feb 11, 2005 8:45 pm

Originally posted by Duxburian@Feb 11 2005, 08:35 PM
Presently I post at more than 5 soaking forums and browse at about 12.
[snapback]22120[/snapback]

There are 12 active soaking forums? :blink: I didn't realise there were that many, can you list them?

NiborDude

Post by NiborDude » Fri Feb 11, 2005 9:10 pm

I think Dux checks 12 different forums. I'm almost positive that there are not 12 active forums in soakerdom.

My anniversary will be in may. I don't know the exact date. I've come a long way. I remember being warned after my second post for flaming Dux. God I was a inexperienced user. :P

<span style='color:EEF2F7'>Blinding ignorance does mislead us. O! Wretched mortals, open your eyes! -Leonardo Da Vinci

DX

Post by DX » Fri Feb 11, 2005 9:28 pm

I remember being warned after my second post for flaming Dux.
I think that was the most pointless punishment ever. Then again I don't think they realized that we knew each other.

Anyway I don't think there are 12 active forums, but I know that there are so many dead-to-semi dead ones that I still look at from time to time. Although a few are no longer online, like the last Aquatica board and WWN.
Mess With the Best, Get Soaked Like the Rest!

2004 Red Sox - World Series Champions
2007 Red Sox - World Series Champions!

Monsoon

Post by Monsoon » Sat Feb 12, 2005 2:39 am

I joined when SSCentral was in it's second form in July 2003 (the 13th to be exact). So I've already been here for a year, and it's been fun. I have no real interest in advancing through ranks or anything, but just to be here as a respected member. I remember when I first joined that I was very inexperienced usery and my posts, well, sucked. Looking back at my earliest posts, I think I've come a long way as well. Although it's a sad fact that my interest in soaking is slowly declining, I will always be around for as long as SSC lives. Soak on!
Do not underestimate the power of stupidity in large groups

Commander_Gaunt

Post by Commander_Gaunt » Sat Feb 12, 2005 9:56 am

I was a inexperienced user at first, and always hated the way new peoples ideas were disregarded (although most of my old ones were just XPBackfire-esque) in favour of older members ones (a view I still hold today). I have got almost 300 posts in less than a year (on top 30 posters list) and have enjoyed my time here, except for a time when someone (a moderator who shall be unnamed) threatened to sue me for slander (and then threatened to sue me more when I polietly explained to him that slander was spoken and that he probably meant libel (which is written)), so I was a protected member for a while and was even put on R/O by that moderator for telling people about what he/she/it did.

And I use too many brackets by the look of my post. Hey, that's funny..

EDIT: 18th highest poster!
<span style='color:gray'>There are only 3 sure things in life: Birth <span style='color:red'>Death <span style='color:gray'>and <span style='color :p urple'>Taxes

Spinner

Post by Spinner » Sat Feb 12, 2005 3:11 pm

Originally posted by Commander_Gaunt@Feb 12 2005, 09:56 AM
I was a inexperienced user at first, and always hated the way new peoples ideas were disregarded in favour of older members ones (a view I still hold today).
[snapback]22148[/snapback]

I can't say I agree with you. If ideas are good, they're accepted and not "disregarded". Here's just two of the good tech topics I remember from new members.

http://forums.sscentral.net/index.php?showtopic=1701
http://forums.sscentral.net/index.php?showtopic=698

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Sat Feb 12, 2005 4:36 pm

I do not believe it's that the older member's ideas are necessarily rejected. It's just that the newer guys typically think of useless or extremely common ideas. I don't know how many "water bomb" or "body armour" topics we've seen. Simply put, their ideas typically aren't as good compared to older members. As Spinner has pointed out, new people with a good idea always will be accepted. ;)

NiborDude

Post by NiborDude » Sat Feb 12, 2005 5:13 pm

During my first couple of months here, I posted several ideas that had been suggested before. I learned and now I check that no one has discussed it before me.

<span style='color:EEF2F7'>Blinding ignorance does mislead us. O! Wretched mortals, open your eyes! -Leonardo Da Vinci

Godzillasoaker65

Post by Godzillasoaker65 » Mon Feb 14, 2005 10:22 pm

I wish Daudelas(sp) stayed here he had good ideas, but only 11 posts. It proves you don't need a lot of posts to be a good member. When I first came here I didn't have good grammar, spelling, and really short posts such as "oh". I am glad that people said something, because it made me realize how ridiculous it was. I still make pointless topics sometimes though.
Soak, or be soaked that is the question!

wetmonkey442

Post by wetmonkey442 » Tue Feb 15, 2005 7:10 pm

I joined June 2003 sometime... after posting extensively on WWN.

Funny, I still don't have over 200 posts. :D
Join the fight! Support water warfare in your area today!

Hyper_9

Post by Hyper_9 » Sun Feb 27, 2005 7:36 pm

I think I hit 2 years in about three months.

(Holy lourde, you need 50 letters to post now! Whats next? Requiring you to take a spelling test before you join?!&#33 ;)

EDIT: Wow, three months exactly. That was a lucky guess.
EDIT: Ok, four months. Brain was stuffed full of canolis and deep dish pizza.
Offical DMOZ Editor of "Recreation: Guns: Toy: Water Guns"
Soak On
HYPERACTIVE 4 EVER!