Free Web Hosting!

Discussion of other water gun websites.
trekkie00

Post by trekkie00 » Mon Nov 08, 2004 2:09 am

While searching this forum, I found a post by someone with a link to www.zap3x.com. It has:

100mb. Storage
Unlimited Traffic
FTP access
MySQL and PhP support

I've tried it, and it will work with phpBB. It looks better that 5gigs.com!
Rereading these forums make me feel old >.<

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Mon Nov 08, 2004 11:04 am

Looks like 3x.ro, a host I once used.

Hosts that are like this, too good to be true, likely are. I'd stick with proven and realistic hosts. Remember that a hosting company needs to make money to survive, it may look great, but don't expect it to last long.

Neuro

Post by Neuro » Mon Nov 08, 2004 8:02 pm

If you look at the signup page it seems they force you to enter your household income. This is illegal under federal law. They CAN collect it, but they can't require it. Since Doom pointed out that they probably used to be 3x.ro, they are most likely based in Romania to avoid that federal law. Chances are they're selling all your private info to everyone they can think of to get money. Do you really want advertisers knowing how much you (or your parents) make? Didn't think so.
"I used to care, but now I take a pill for that."

You can pretty much ignore the times on that, I rarely ever have Xfire on when I play. I should, though.

Monsoon

Post by Monsoon » Mon Nov 08, 2004 8:04 pm

Normallly when I register for those things, I always register false info (not usually web hosting, but other things like new Hotmail accounts or Runescape accounts).

EDIT-spelling and such
Do not underestimate the power of stupidity in large groups

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Mon Nov 08, 2004 8:31 pm

Actually, now that I go to 3x.ro, I see that it is redirected there. I liked the domain 3x.ro better, but since they are 3x I suppose they're okay to use. Just don't expect to run a forum for a long time, I had a forum running there and it barely lasted a month before it got closed down.

Monsoon

Post by Monsoon » Mon Nov 08, 2004 10:21 pm

So are you saying that it's safe? It asked my home income (illegal as Neo stated) bu instead of putting what I really get, I put the opposite. It also asks your name, and I put a false name. It asks the country, so I just pick a random one. If the owners of the site aren't into hacking and such, you should be able to get away with false information, on everything. On some things, it's important to enter your email. I have two accounts, so it's not a bother to me.
Do not underestimate the power of stupidity in large groups