Spring power?

Threads about how water guns work and other miscellaneous water gun technology threads.
mysterio

Spring power?

Post by mysterio » Mon Nov 15, 2010 2:31 am

After googleing the forums for a while, i realized that besides the not-so-homemade watergun in the notable homemades section, i cant recall a design that uses springs in it. I'm pretty sure it wouldnt be catastrophic, and springs can easily be found at hardware stores. So its just kind of weird that there havent been any yet

isoaker_com

Re: Spring power?

Post by isoaker_com » Mon Nov 15, 2010 3:15 am

Water Warriors Pulse Master, Pulse Blaster, Pulse Strike, Pulse Force and Steady Stream all use springs (though some may consider the Pulse Force and Steady Stream more like piston-based blasters). There's also the Waterball series of water blasters, but some may consider those ones more novelty items.

Spring are far from catastrophic in terms of using them, but finding reliable, strong springs and having a piston to seal the chamber well while not incurring huge production price increases are some of the main limitations to spring-based designs. In many ways, it's much simpler to build an air pressure chamber or even a rubber-bladder-chamber than it is to create a spring-loaded one.

:cool:
:: Leave NO one dry! :: iSoaker.com / iSoaker.net ::

martianshark

Post by martianshark » Mon Nov 15, 2010 4:33 am

The Shot Blast and Splat Blaster also use springs.

Springs come in hardware stores, but you can't find anything very big there; you might be able to try making a pistol-sized splat blaster, but it would probably be better to simply modify a nerf gun or something into a splat blaster. Air pressure blasters are very easy to make, and CPS is also probably easier. Springs don't have constant pressure, and it would require a Supercannon sort of design, plus you would have to find a seal that won't leak and can handle the pressure.

mysterio

Post by mysterio » Mon Nov 15, 2010 5:33 am

wow. did not expect posts from you guys. but thanks for the help. maybe one of my next homemades wont end up being horrible now.

isoaker_com

Post by isoaker_com » Mon Nov 15, 2010 2:12 pm

Yeah, martianshark is correct. I'd forgotten about the spring chambers in the Super Soaker Shot Blast and Water Warriors Splat Blasters.The Super Soaker Quick Blast also uses a spring.

-G-JiV-

Post by -G-JiV- » Mon Nov 15, 2010 6:44 pm

Due to pressure, spring would act like Air-pressure-based weapons. At the very beginning the pressure is high, but then it will drop off soon.

There is also the problem that spring may break after long contact with water, because the water will attack the steel and eat it up :D
A gunner has to do what his Soaker requires...

martianshark

Post by martianshark » Mon Nov 15, 2010 7:22 pm

In a Supercannon sort of design, rust wouldn't really be a problem since the water won't be touching it.

soakernerd

Post by soakernerd » Mon Nov 15, 2010 7:22 pm

I have been toying with the idea of a homemade water bow. It would use a plunger system similar to the ones in homemade nerf guns.

martianshark

Post by martianshark » Mon Nov 15, 2010 8:47 pm

I think there was an old super soaker bow that worked like that. ;) Anyway, it might be a good ides to change something like a Marshmallow Crossbow (see http://www.marshmallowville.com) into a water gun.

isoaker_com

Post by isoaker_com » Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:18 pm

martianshark wrote:I think there was an old super soaker bow that worked like that. ;) Anyway, it might be a good ides to change something like a Marshmallow Crossbow (see http://www.marshmallowville.com) into a water gun.
Possible, but I've got no firsthand experience with that one. There were also a number of blasters by Larami that were spring-loaded as well, but they are more obscure.

-G-JiV-

Post by -G-JiV- » Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:11 pm

What I have thought often about...:

How far could you fire a "pack" of water, till it falls out in the air to water dust? I am thinking of a paintball-weapon, which fires water-armor, also just small water parts. It would really like to build up such a cannon, may this would work better by using a spring? WHat do you think about this? The WW splat blaster fires a small "water armor", but only some feet, and he uses a spring I think.

May I should build up a new type of a homemade, using a big spring...A sniper-water gun would also be could :D
But how could you make a 1/8 litre of water flying 20 metres or further, staying compressed during the fly through the air...

I think this is impossible and I should forget it...

OR I will go and think about a water ballon launcher...Hahaha, that is the solution^^ Thanks to nobody, I solved my problem on my own :D

See you later at home made water ballon launcher, range should be 30-50 metres...

I love SSC and Isoaker.com, they are creating nice ideas in my head :D
A gunner has to do what his Soaker requires...

C-A_99

Post by C-A_99 » Tue Nov 16, 2010 4:24 am

Spring based pressure chambers haven't been popular and for good reason. The main problem is that the spring creates a lot of stress in one direction whereas on air pressure, the pressure is everywhere and is easy to contain all at once.

zeda.beta

Post by zeda.beta » Wed Nov 17, 2010 1:34 am

And with springs, the pressure applied is constant, but only to the area contacting the PC. You would get uneven weathering, and eventual ruptures in those weak zones, just as CA said.

Also, metal + water? Not so much. :D
I reject your reality and substitute my own.
Quack damn you.

mysterio

Post by mysterio » Wed Nov 17, 2010 2:24 am

yea. i was thinking supercannon 2 style, with the spring outside of the pvc, and held on by some epoxy putty or welds, and using threaded rods to hold it onto a flange on the pvc (snare drum style, if anyone gets the reference

zeda.beta

Post by zeda.beta » Wed Nov 17, 2010 3:30 am

Still, the problem is that springs, while providing some power, are going to be less efficient then other such devices.
I reject your reality and substitute my own.
Quack damn you.