1v1 water gun fight

Post your epic water war tale!
arcticblastman

1v1 water gun fight

Post by arcticblastman » Tue May 19, 2009 8:50 pm

Had a battle with my brother. We both used arctic blasts, and i totallysoaked him. I got hit with a cheap shot when it ended.

C-A_99

Re: 1v1 water gun fight

Post by C-A_99 » Tue May 19, 2009 9:03 pm

Is that all? How long did the duel last? Where was it held? What sort of tactics were used? What did you or your brother learn from it? Elaboration makes the story interesting to hear.

I've done pretty badly on some duels myself with one of my other friends. At the time, I'd often have water gun problems, but my running, dodging, and attacking was rather slow. "Cheap shots", as in close range shots that completely soak the target (as you described), are difficult to pull off against fast players, and cover around our area is rather difficult to use and sneak around with.

Recruit some friends, get some more guns, and hold some games, preferably with teams. Its simply more fun.

cantab

Post by cantab » Tue May 19, 2009 9:29 pm

Ah, the noble art of duelling. And one I'm not particularly good at.

Skill-wise, the most important thing is dodging. When playing OHK (which I always do), battles tend to land up at limit of range. All shots are dodgable when that's the case.
One riskier dodging technique is to duck and rush forwards, causing the shot to go over you. It's risky because the opponent could change their aim and wipe you out. But it gives you the chance to get a shot at closer range.

Weapon-wise, giving away range is never good. One can handle being short a bit, but giving away more than a metre angled range tends to make it very hard to win, at best one might draw, unless one can counter the loss with terrain.
You want your gun to be reliable too. I've got killed many times because my gun failed. Stupid Max-D triggers :-@

If there is cover, use it, but don't over-use it. In particular, plunging shots can be a hazard. There is also the drawback that if you can't see your enemy, you could get snuck up on - and if you can see your enemy, he can shoot you, though he may have a smaller target to aim for. However, if there is cover say a few metres ahead of you, you may be able to rush for it, and force your opponent to move backwards. It's a bit risky though.

If you can get advantageous terrain, use it. High ground usually. However, narrow stairs will restrict your dodging, so may be better avoided. Also, the opponent always has the option of simply staying out of your range, forcing a draw unless you come down to attack.

Don't run out of water. You should be using short shots, unless you know your gun lasts significantly longer than theirs. It's also a bad idea to totally drain your pressure, your opponent could take the chance to attack.
I work on Windows. My toolbox is Linux.
Arsenal:
Super Soaker: XP215, 2xXP220, Liquidator, Aquashock Secret Strike M(odded), Arctic Blast M, CPS1200, CPS2100, SC Power Pak, 3l aquapack, 1.5l aquapack
Water Warriors: Jet, Sting Ray M, Shark, Argon M, Tiger Shark, PulseMaster
Others: Waterbolt, The Blaster, Storm 500, Shield Blaster 2000, generic PR gun, generic backpack piston pumper (broken), 3l garden sprayer M, 10l water carrier:

C-A_99

Post by C-A_99 » Tue May 19, 2009 9:45 pm

Well since it doesn't sound like they were playing 1 hit kill, I didn't mention much regarding it. Still, range is important even in soakfests, allowing you to push back the enemy if he/she's getting too close, though water balloons also have that effect.

cantab

Post by cantab » Tue May 19, 2009 9:48 pm

I'm not really sure how much tactics differ in soakfest (since I never do them seriously). I'd guess it means one can get closer to the enemy. Particularly something like the AB - if the blast hits, it will drench the target. But if it misses, you've wasted a load of water and are wide open to a counter-attack.
Arsenal:
Super Soaker: XP215, 2xXP220, Liquidator, Aquashock Secret Strike M(odded), Arctic Blast M, CPS1200, CPS2100, SC Power Pak, 3l aquapack, 1.5l aquapack
Others: Waterbolt, The Blaster, Storm 500, Shield Blaster 2000, generic PR gun, generic backpack piston pumper (broken), 3l garden sprayer M, 10l water carrier:

C-A_99

Post by C-A_99 » Tue May 19, 2009 10:10 pm

In soakfests, you can indeed get away with not maintaining pressure in the blaster (though theres still a good risk of paying a steep price for doing so), and the flash flood's riot blast is actually useful. Also, lower powered blasters with longer shot times stand more chance than in 1HK; if your target is in your range, you can attack more easily, and if the enemy misses and wastes a lot of pressure, thats a good time to charge in. Even if you're partially hit, it won't matter as much.

I haven't done soakfests in a long time, but one thing's for sure; you run out of water and pressure much sooner and that is a serious factor to take into consideration.

cantab

Post by cantab » Tue May 19, 2009 10:26 pm

Indeed. When soakfests do happen, the tend to be at the end of meetings, so we use up the water that's left. Since we often play far from anyone's house, water is limited. This is particularly noticeable when we're using CPSes - after a few rounds (and this is OHK) we have to stop, or we'll run out of water.

That's obviously a logistical thing mind, since the running out is over multiple rounds. The only time I've had CPSes getting drained in one OHK battle has been on punt wars, where there's a 30 second respawn. Filling guns from the river is of course a bad idea and avoided by those who care about their weaponry.
Arsenal:

C-A_99

Post by C-A_99 » Tue May 19, 2009 10:42 pm

I always keep my CPS fully loaded before a round begins. I usually never use more than 85% of the reservoir in a given round, but its better to be safe. Usually, I use a water bottle I'm carrying to recharge it since using the hose takes too long. (and I can just use the hose to fill the bottle later)

I'd think soakfests would be better to start meetings, so that everyone's soaked while playing 1HK. If you play the other way, everyone's already soaked when playing soakfest.

arcticblastman

Post by arcticblastman » Tue May 19, 2009 11:10 pm

C-A_99 wrote:Is that all? How long did the duel last? Where was it held? What sort of tactics were used? What did you or your brother learn from it? Elaboration makes the story interesting to hear.

I've done pretty badly on some duels myself with one of my other friends. At the time, I'd often have water gun problems, but my running, dodging, and attacking was rather slow. "Cheap shots", as in close range shots that completely soak the target (as you described), are difficult to pull off against fast players, and cover around our area is rather difficult to use and sneak around with.

Recruit some friends, get some more guns, and hold some games, preferably with teams. Its simply more fun.
It lasted about 10 minutes, and was in my front yard. There are almost no hiding places except a minivan and benches on the island in the street. It was just a soakfest, and I never ran out of water. He refilled 2 times. The cheap shot was after the fight ended, and I had drained my water gun's tank. I shot him with the blast nozzle at point-blank range. I always keep my pc full until I have ended the fight.

cantab

Post by cantab » Wed May 20, 2009 9:39 am

The thing is when we play OHK we usually don't get soaked, since one's out for the round after the one hit. Even with CPSes one doesn't get that wet.
(What constitutes a hit is a bit vaguely defined by the rules, but generally, if you feel more than a few drops, you're hit.)

If we were soaked to start with we'd also be denied the ability to check hits by seeing the wetness on clothing.
Arsenal:

arcticblastman

Post by arcticblastman » Wed May 20, 2009 11:43 am

It was not one-hit-kills.

C-A_99

Post by C-A_99 » Wed May 20, 2009 7:21 pm

Hmm, we go by similar rules, but almost never make wet checks. Someone could have fired after they were out, and instead, we strictly enforce the "stop shooting when you're out" sort of thing. Its not a terribly reliable indicator either.

Goldfish4209

Post by Goldfish4209 » Thu May 21, 2009 5:08 pm

All of my water gun fights are soakfests. We're just too disorganized to manage any other type of game. In a soakfest, it's usually all about power. The only reason for firing at an enemy is to drive them back, and in order to do this with a stream of water, it has to be pretty powerful. This is why riot blasts like the FF's are effective in this sort of game. Range is not as important, because if you shoot someone from 50 feet, they only get splashed a bit. Not a very impressive effect. Whereas if you hit someone from 10 feet with the same gun, it will be more powerful and more effective in a soakfest.

In 1v1 duels, my number one tactic is stealth. Whether it is OHK or soakfest, stealth can often decide the outcome of the game in a matter of seconds. Usually I play around a house or in a small park, so there are many places to hide. Basically, I hide for a while and wait as my opponent tries to find me. Eventually he will pass by my hiding spot. Now I know where he is, and as he heads off somewhere else, I follow him, finally ambushing him. However, knowledge of the environment is crucial when using stealth.
Current Arsenal: Liquidator, MI Flash Flood x2, APH x2, CPS 1200

cantab

Post by cantab » Thu May 21, 2009 5:38 pm

Stealth is indeed useful. One of the finest ambushes I came across was shooting through a knothole in a fence. Unfortunately for my attacker, I was already eliminated at that point.

Another time in the same day's battling someone waited at the top of some stairs. However they completely failed to attack me when I came past.

Stealthy stuff is dead common in Assassins too. Lurk outside your target's residence for long enough and you should get them, assuming you know what they look like. Then there's counter-lurking - expecting an attack, you wait in a good defensive position (works well if there's respawn, since when you respawn is when people may attack again).
Arsenal:

arcticblastman

Post by arcticblastman » Thu May 21, 2009 8:26 pm

I had a worse time last battle. It was the same setup, and the hose was not allowed to be used as a weapon. I was going over and waiting for my brother to refill when he soaked me with the hose. I used the blast nozzle and soaked him back. I still won, partially because his aim stinks.