Uses of STE Flash Flood parts

Threads about water gun modifications.
Gold Hawk

Uses of STE Flash Flood parts

Post by Gold Hawk » Wed Mar 17, 2010 9:46 pm

Near the end of last summer my brother bought an old STE Flash Flood from a yard sale and it leaked like crazy. Due to enormous amounts of schoolwork/lack of interest, I wasn't able to take the time to open in until today (I'm in the middle of spring break).
With so many rusted/worn down screws, getting it open required a lot of drilling. When I finally separated what was left of the two halves, I found the reason for the leak. There was a large crack running through the main nozzle firing valve and the valve to the pressure chamber. When I pumped it, bubbles spouted along the entire length of the crack.
Due to this and the fact that the casing and the firing valve are so beat up, I've decided to use this Flash Flood for spare parts for my other three Flash Floods (all Max-Infusion models).

I'd like to know if there are any parts in particular I should focus on salvaging and if they will be compatible with the Max-Infusion versions.
"Missing isn't the worst part. The retaliation is." -Gold Hawk

"Exsisto validus, fortis aequora." -Motto of the HydroHawks Soaker Assault Squad

zeda.beta

Re: Uses of STE Flash Flood parts

Post by zeda.beta » Wed Mar 17, 2010 10:04 pm

The only thing they changed about the max infusion models was the cap, so everything should still work. Notice I say should. I would definately take the parts of the case that are still useable, and also the rubber bladder, aka the pressure chamber, you never know when that might come in handy to repair your other flash floods. Plus you would want to salvage the pump and anything you can from the trigger assemblies, particularly the flash flood part.
-Zeda
I reject your reality and substitute my own.
Quack damn you.

Gold Hawk

Post by Gold Hawk » Thu Mar 18, 2010 12:00 am

zeda.beta wrote:I would definately take the parts of the case that are still useable, and also the rubber bladder, aka the pressure chamber, you never know when that might come in handy to repair your other flash floods. Plus you would want to salvage the pump and anything you can from the trigger assemblies, particularly the flash flood part.
-Zeda
I kind of guessed to salvage the trigger, pump, and PC, but how do you remove the PC without damaging it?
"Missing isn't the worst part. The retaliation is." -Gold Hawk

"Exsisto validus, fortis aequora." -Motto of the HydroHawks Soaker Assault Squad

C-A_99

Post by C-A_99 » Thu Mar 18, 2010 12:07 am

The trigger springs, given they're not too worn down, will come in handy in the future when the other FFs' springs wear out. The pump (rod, handle, and seal) is very useful for homemades since it is more reliable than using O-rings. The PC can be used for a homemade, but generally you should not have to replace the PC's on the other FF's unless you do a PC expansion and a bladder ends up getting worn out too fast.

A PC expansion would probably be fairly useful but I haven't done one myself.

To remove the PC, unscrew the clamp at the end closer to the nozzle. I haven't removed it myself, but that's where you probably start off.

Indeed the FF has several useful parts, but I go for trying to repair it first. I guess in your case it's not even worth trying anymore.

martianshark

Post by martianshark » Fri Mar 19, 2010 8:38 pm

There should be a clamp right outside of the cylindar with the bladder in it. Unscrew it and take it off. It may also require some cutting to get the cylindar off.