CPS 1000 - Leaky Pull Valve

Repairs to water guns. Please put repair topics in this forum so that people do not have to sort through so many topics when looking for a repair. If a fix is included in the topic, please add (Fixed) before the topic title to indicate so.
MarsGlorious

CPS 1000 - Leaky Pull Valve

Post by MarsGlorious » Fri Jul 11, 2008 5:43 am

Information:
Type: CPS 1000 (Unknown Mark)
Manufacturer: Larami - 1998
Fault: Leaky Pull Valve
Obtained: Ebay - Total: $51
State: Used - Still functions

Background:
I purchased a used CPS 1000 from ebay. It was a very good deal and arrived in 16 days. :)
However, it had quite a few internal faults. I'm not blaming the seller. He probably didn't know. Being quite an optimist (when it come to fixing water guns), I opened it up, and made various repair and reinforcements. The weapon now function more efficiently and I'm happy that all worked out. :)

Fault:
However, after using it, I began to notice it leaked when the PC was pressurized. So, I opened it up, and isolated the source. It appears to be leaking from the point where the pull valve pin enters the valve chamber. Here's an image:

Attempts and Thoughts:
I put Vaseline on the pin, and that doesn't seem to do anything. Now, if there is something on the site that I have missed, I'd like to know. I think it might be the seal in the pull valve. There doesn't seem to be a way to open the pull valve and repair that problem. If I have to cut it, I'd like to know.
"Wherever there's a dark age, there are Dark Apostles." - Storm

StormGlorious

Re: CPS 1000 - Leaky Pull Valve

Post by StormGlorious » Fri Jul 11, 2008 6:30 am

For christ sake, I just told you where the repair is on the phone just before.http://www.sscentral.org/repairs/nozzle_leaking.html

Scroll down until you are almost at the bottom of the page.
As for cutting, no. All you have to do is unscrew the screws holding the two sections together.

Storm,
Armoury:CPS 2500, CPS 1700, 2xCPS 2100, SC PowerPack,
Triple Agressor, HydraPack, Lightning, APH x3, Pneumatic Grenade Launcher, Triple Shot, Liquidator, Arctic Blast
'Wherever there' s a Dark Age, There are Dark Apostles'
Play Magic: the Gathering

MarsGlorious

Post by MarsGlorious » Fri Jul 11, 2008 10:52 am

Relax, I think you're a little confused. :rolleyes:

I've already read that article and I've considered that it's contributing the problem. However, there doesn't seem to be any screws. So, I would like to know how to open it. I would like to avoid cutting if possible. I also considered putting Vaseline on the PC connection. I would like to know specifically what I'm dealing with. :cool:

StormGlorious

Post by StormGlorious » Fri Jul 11, 2008 12:20 pm

Can you see any traces of glue around the pull valve housing. I so, then you will most certainly (and obviously) have to cut it.
In my opinion, it is probably a poor seal around the PC and it's respective connection. I would recommend putting vaseline on the O-Ring. That is what I did on my 2100 when it experienced leaking.
Sorry if I sounded irritable, I just wasn't sure whether or not you had actually done some research before posting this topic.

Storm,
Triple Agressor, HydraPack, Lightning, APH x3, Pneumatic Grenade Launcher, Triple Shot, Liquidator, Arctic Blast

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Fri Jul 11, 2008 6:21 pm

This is a pretty rare problem. We've discussed it here before: http://forums.sscentral.org/t2998/

I suggested trying some silicone glue to seal the rod to the plastic and that seemed to work (temporarily at least). While that would seal it's not very strong so it might come off. I vaguely remember some problems with this repair but I can't seem to find any from my quick skim of the topic.

You shouldn't need to open the valve but if you want to you'd have to cut it in half. To close it back up again you'd have to use putty epoxy and that might not even work. I do not suggest cutting the valve open.

Silence

Post by Silence » Fri Jul 11, 2008 10:14 pm

I believe JLspacemarine talked about a similar problem here. I agree cutting the valve is a bad idea because it's hard to put the mess back together. Especially with no screws.

Thanks for the nicely formatted post! I'm sorry I can't really say much though.

CROC

Post by CROC » Sat Jul 12, 2008 12:17 am

JLspacemarine had a huge crack in his firing valve, so all he had to do was patch it up with glue of volume.

If you could possibly get some heat-shrink tubing around the pin, it might be wider, resulting in the gun working again. However, that would require normal lubrication, a heat source, and opening the valve up.

Good luck with your repair!
-Croc
It's been a while guys, and its good to be back

StormGlorious

Post by StormGlorious » Sat Jul 12, 2008 12:50 am

The leak is not from the pin, as far as I can see. It is from a poor seal between the PC and the pull valve housing. The water is running off and dripping fromm the pin to create the illusion that the pin is leaking.

Storm,

MarsGlorious

Post by MarsGlorious » Sat Jul 12, 2008 1:30 am

Storm, that's an assumption.

I put vaseline on the PC connection and it doesn't appear to do anything. I can directly see water coming out of the rod. I put vaseline on the rod it slowed the leak a little. Well, it looks like I may have to open it, or just live with it. I can do that, it's just annoying.

Well, if I do cut? Where do I cut?

CROC

Post by CROC » Sat Jul 12, 2008 11:40 am

Cut at the seam, right where it seems as though Super Soaker glued the two pieces together. It will be a clean cut, and it can be re-sealed without it being too obvious that you fixed it. So it's the raised part. or somewhere close to it.
-Croc
It's been a while guys, and its good to be back

StormGlorious

Post by StormGlorious » Sat Jul 12, 2008 11:58 am

I'll let others take over from here, as I know very little about the CPS 1000 itself.

Storm

Drenchenator

Post by Drenchenator » Sat Jul 12, 2008 12:54 pm

Mars, that was a great first post in this repair topic! I suggest that everyone else follow his example on this, because it gave out all the needed information in a organized and easy to read manner. Good job!

I wouldn't recommend cutting open the valve; in my mind it would only compound the current problem.

I have an idea: Use an O-ring to seal the end where the rod leaves the valve chamber. Take a small O-ring that has an ID slightly smaller that that of the rod itself and place it at the end of the protruding section where the leak comes from.

When the valve is closed, the O-ring gets swished into place and should seal it. When the valve is open, the water would just flow out to the nozzle anyway so I don't think you would worry too much about what little water would come through the back.

There is one problem that I think could come up from doing it repair with an O-ring in that manner that I've described. It could leave the valve open partially, causing it to leak out the front. I don't know if it would do this or not; I guess it depends on how much of a trigger pull opens the valve.

Best of luck on the repair!
The Drenchenator, also known as Lt. Col. Drench.

MarsGlorious

Post by MarsGlorious » Sun Jul 13, 2008 12:47 am

Drenchenator wrote:Mars, that was a great first post in this repair topic! I suggest that everyone else follow his example on this, because it gave out all the needed information in a organized and easy to read manner. Good job!
:p Well, just doing my bit for society.

All these ideas are pretty good, but I think what I do will more depend on what I notice when the valve is open. Well, if I open it. That's the bit that scares me. I would like to know where to cut and if anyone has done this before. :confused:

JLspacemarine

Post by JLspacemarine » Sun Jul 13, 2008 6:49 am

If I were you I wouldn't cut the valve open. I tried to seal a crack in my CPS 1500's trigger valve a few times and it failed each time. So imagine regluing the whole valve together. I think it would be extremely hard to do and you might get your gun even worse...(Maybe it's just me that has a lack of talent with epoxy). Anyway Drenchenator's O-ring idea would be a safer method to try first. ;)
Armory: AS Hydroblitz (x2), MI FlashFlood, STE TripleShot, XP Backfire, XP 215, XP 105, XXP 175, Big Bottle BLaster(x2), SC Power Pak, SpeedLoader1000, SpeedLoader 1500, SpeedLoader Double-Cross 3000, CPS Splashzooka (x2), CPS 1200, CPS 1500,CPS 2100, CPS 2000 Mk2, CPS 1-3-5

Silence

Post by Silence » Sun Jul 13, 2008 1:11 pm

I don't think it's been done, but you could try replacing the current valve with a small metal ball valve. It's definitely a bit of a hack and you'll need to make your own torque and if you want to attach the trigger wire to it. You may also need to mount a spring. But it will solve the problem.