Water Balloon Launcher on Monster X!

Threads about water gun modifications.
The Stealthy Panda

Water Balloon Launcher on Monster X!

Post by The Stealthy Panda » Tue Apr 17, 2007 4:07 am

I had an idea. An idea to create a water balloon launcher that is attached to a soaker, and runs off of its extra pressure. I'm going to bed now, but I'll draw some diagrams in the morning and post them. Meanwhile, please post any design ideas you may have.

C-A_99

Post by C-A_99 » Tue Apr 17, 2007 6:58 pm

Do you mean design a WBL that can shoot both water and balloons? A standard water gun probably won't generate enough pressure to launch a water balloon; a bike pump/air compressor is needed in this case. There have been designs that launch both balloons and water merged into one cannon, but I have no idea how those work (since they share PC's, and the water launcher needs a piston while the WBL can't have one), and a mass water launcher is impractical. Another possiblity is to route the PC of a WBL so that it can push on water below and launch it out quickly. However, I doubt such a design would be practical either.

I guess it's best wait for those who actually know something about this to post.

WaterWolf

Post by WaterWolf » Tue Apr 17, 2007 9:07 pm

This idea has been theorized before, but has never worked.
I believe that Dux however is working on some actually feasible plans for one and knowing him, he'll probobaly follow through on them.

Here is a link the that topic.

Silence

Post by Silence » Tue Apr 17, 2007 9:14 pm

WaterWolf beat me. :cool:

It's going to be hard to make a feasible combination of a water gun/cannon and a water balloon launcher. The problem is that if you fire the water gun/cannon first, the pressure drops; and if you fire the water balloon launcher first, there's no pressure at all to fire the water gun.

What you can do is use a regulated air supply. Search the forums here for Ben's SuperCAP thread - a smaller gun like that could be paired with a water balloon launcher.

The title of this thread suggests a water balloon launcher on a Monster X. That's possible, although you can't use pressure from the gun (especially since the CPS system doesn't use air pressure - it uses a rubber bladder instead :cool :) .

People have made small WBLs intended to be mounted on guns (primarily homemades). As I said, that's feasible. Performance doesn't need to be extreme, as you can't really see or hit anybody past a couple hundred feet. Even 100 feet is over twice the range of the best guns you'll fight against. Also, smaller WBLs could have several hundred feet of range if they were built properly (more on that if you're interested. See WaterWolf's WBL thread.

DX

Post by DX » Tue Apr 17, 2007 11:58 pm

The problem with past designs about this is that people tried to keep the soaker and launcher as separate entities [using ideas like mounting and attaching]. This will not be practical unless the gun is designed as a true hybrid or tribrid - it can't just look like a conventional soaker with a conventional launcher on it. Both have to be part of each other natively.

Obviously there are problems with designing such a thing. No design currently in use is suitable enough; therefore, you'd need a new design completely from scratch. I've been working on something like that, though it is really hard to do well and I'm short on time.
Mess With the Best, Get Soaked Like the Rest!

2004 Red Sox - World Series Champions
2007 Red Sox - World Series Champions!

The Stealthy Panda

Post by The Stealthy Panda » Wed Apr 18, 2007 7:26 pm

Well, you see, my idea was to reroute the output of the check valve, and instead of having the extra pressure go to the resevoir, it would go to th WBL's PC. Oh yeah. Skillz. :cool:

Silence

Post by Silence » Wed Apr 18, 2007 9:30 pm

That would work, but only for PR (pressurized reservoir) soakers in which air is pumped into the reservoir. It won't work for CPS guns like the Monster X, where water is pumped into a bladder, or for regular air pressure guns, where water is pumped into an air chamber.

A mountable WBL is entirely possible. It's just that people have wanted more range (not too necessary), and they've been using massive systems that have poor performance due to inefficiency.

The Stealthy Panda

Post by The Stealthy Panda » Wed Apr 18, 2007 10:48 pm

An idea I just had would be to take the pump off a water gun and put it on a water balloon launcher, or put the trigger setup on a homemade...but that would be another thread. :D