XP 110 Help!

Repairs to water guns. Please put repair topics in this forum so that people do not have to sort through so many topics when looking for a repair. If a fix is included in the topic, please add (Fixed) before the topic title to indicate so.
Xoth

Post by Xoth » Sun Feb 27, 2005 8:09 pm

First off, is this topic in the right part of the forum? This is my first topic here and I'm not sure.

Anyway, I bought my first Super Soaker in a long time, just yesterday. I got a XP110 for only 8 dollars at the Dollar Store. So, I have painted it and stuff, and I tried to make the nozzle larger with a small screwdriver(silly me). Now it seems to shoot on a sort of "Fan Blast", and I was wondering if there was anyway I can fix this without having to spend any money?

EDIT: I finally got to try it out again, and it works great! It does sort of have a new "Shotgun" effect compared to the old nozzle. Thanks guys!

DX

Post by DX » Sun Feb 27, 2005 8:30 pm

Welcome to SSCentral! This it sort of in the right forum, there is a repairs section of tech where this would better fit. I'll move it.

As for dealing with the fan blast effect, I don't think that you can restore the original nozzle, but you could take a drill, find the appropriate sized bit, and drill out the nozzle. It would have a"shotgun" effect where it would dump a lot of water out in one shot, but wouldn't shoot that far. Or, this article may help if you want to get rid of the damaged nozzle and use any sizes you want. However, I'm not sure if it will work with an XP 110, if it does you might have to adjust some of the things in the article.
Mess With the Best, Get Soaked Like the Rest!

2004 Red Sox - World Series Champions
2007 Red Sox - World Series Champions!

wetmonkey442

Post by wetmonkey442 » Sun Feb 27, 2005 8:44 pm

Get some putty (any kind of plumber's putty) fill in the nozzle all the way across, but not too far in, once in hardens, drill it with the appropriately sized bit. I believe this should help, however it is more riskier, and has a chance of breaking your gun if the putty goes in too deep, or if the putty hardens too hard to drill. Good luck with repairing the 110, from what I hear, it's a great rifle.

Welcome to SSC!
Join the fight! Support water warfare in your area today!

Xoth

Post by Xoth » Sun Feb 27, 2005 9:34 pm

Originally posted by Duxburian@Feb 27 2005, 03:30 PM
Welcome to SSCentral! This it sort of in the right forum, there is a repairs section of tech where this would better fit. I'll move it.

As for dealing with the fan blast effect, I don't think that you can restore the original nozzle, but you could take a drill, find the appropriate sized bit, and drill out the nozzle. It would have a"shotgun" effect where it would dump a lot of water out in one shot, but wouldn't shoot that far. Or, this article may help if you want to get rid of the damaged nozzle and use any sizes you want. However, I'm not sure if it will work with an XP 110, if it does you might have to adjust some of the things in the article.
[snapback]22692[/snapback]

Ok, but what about the wire mesh inside the nozzle? Would I damage that if I drilled too deep? My dad has a good drill with a lot of bits, so I'll try to drill it out later. Thanks for the help!

DX

Post by DX » Sun Feb 27, 2005 9:44 pm

Be extremely careful not to damage the mesh screen. That mesh laminates the stream and, if damaged, can negatively impact your stream. Drilling too deep will break it, so make sure you know how far you need to drill before you start.

Xoth

Post by Xoth » Sun Feb 27, 2005 9:48 pm

Originally posted by Duxburian@Feb 27 2005, 04:44 PM
Be extremely careful not to damage the mesh screen. That mesh laminates the stream and, if damaged, can negatively impact your stream. Drilling too deep will break it, so make sure you know how far you need to drill before you start.
[snapback]22699[/snapback]

Thanks, I'll give it a try later when my mom isn't around to nag me :Hey, that's funny.:
Also, in reply to your other post, about the shotgun part, that would be good for my situation. Each year I go to a "summer camp" of sorts, where we always have a big water balloon war between the two buildings where the guys sleep. This is precisely why I have started to become interested in Super Soakers: they will provide me with the type of soakage I need, and without having to buy so many water balloons. The battle is fairly close range, so a shotgun mod for my 110 is a great idea.

DX

Post by DX » Sun Feb 27, 2005 9:55 pm

If it doesn't work, there's always the nozzle mod where you put an adaptor over the open nozzle area and drill out endcaps to get several different nozzle sizes. It's all in that above article if you decide to do it. Hopefully the shotgun mod works, as I don't think many people have done it on an XP 110.

Xoth

Post by Xoth » Sun Feb 27, 2005 9:57 pm

Originally posted by Duxburian@Feb 27 2005, 04:55 PM
If it doesn't work, there's always the nozzle mod where you put an adaptor over the open nozzle area and drill out endcaps to get several different nozzle sizes. It's all in that above article if you decide to do it. Hopefully the shotgun mod works, as I don't think many people have done it on an XP 110.
[snapback]22702[/snapback]

Yah, maybe I'll be a pioneer for it! :D Then I could make an article about it on SScentral. As another side note, I rigged up a carrying strap on my 110 using an old guitar strap and some thick string(I wouldn't say it is rope, but it's not really string either.). It works pretty good!

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Sun Feb 27, 2005 10:47 pm

Welcome to SSCentral Xoth! Don't worry about putting things in the wrong forum. Loads of people think we'll get real mad if it's put in the wrong forum, but it's just a few seconds of our time to move it if it is in the incorrect forum. What I personally worry about in our members is stupid discussions (this thread is very far from that).

Shotgun mods don't need pioneering! They've been done plenty of times! What does need pioneering is that nozzle selector mod Duxburian suggested. Try it out, only I would suggest using 1/2" parts as opposed to 3/4" for an XP 110. If you just want to restore the original nozzle, Wetmonkey's recommendation is perfect and has been tested several times before. If you'd make an article on the modification of you XP 110, I'm sure it would be appreciated by others looking to do similar modifications.

Try out the nozzle mod and you'll get a shotgun nozzle as well as whichever other nozzles you want. That is one of the most useful modifications made, and I think you'll find it will make your XP 110, already a great gun, better. B)

Xoth

Post by Xoth » Sun Feb 27, 2005 10:55 pm

Originally posted by Doom@Feb 27 2005, 05:47 PM
Welcome to SSCentral Xoth! Don't worry about putting things in the wrong forum. Loads of people think we'll get real mad if it's put in the wrong forum, but it's just a few seconds of our time to move it if it is in the incorrect forum. What I personally worry about in our members is stupid discussions (this thread is very far from that).

Shotgun mods don't need pioneering! They've been done plenty of times! What does need pioneering is that nozzle selector mod Duxburian suggested. Try it out, only I would suggest using 1/2" parts as opposed to 3/4" for an XP 110. If you just want to restore the original nozzle, Wetmonkey's recommendation is perfect and has been tested several times before. If you'd make an article on the modification of you XP 110, I'm sure it would be appreciated by others looking to do similar modifications.

Try out the nozzle mod and you'll get a shotgun nozzle as well as whichever other nozzles you want. That is one of the most useful modifications made, and I think you'll find it will make your XP 110, already a great gun, better. B)
[snapback]22707[/snapback]

I would try the nozzle selector mod, but my money and parts are not all that available right now. I do have some PVC pipe in the storage building, but not all the required parts to make the mod. I think right now I should just go with Duxburian's other suggestion, but if that doesn't work and the webbing goes undamaged, I'll see if I can try that out.

Does anyone know which size drill bit I should use on my XP 110? I think a 7/64 will work fine... I'm not going for something huge.

Reported: Success! I used a 7/64" drill bit, and successfully eliminated the fan blast effect from the gun! I am thinking about possibly using a larger bit to make it have more of a shotgun effect. Thanks for all of your help!

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Mon Feb 28, 2005 1:59 am

Triple posts should be avoided to prevent inflated post counts and keep the page a little shorter. That's why we've got the edit button. I've compiled your posts, just remember next time it's applicable.

7/16" would be a good moderate nozzle. I have found that my similarly sized 1/8" nozzle on my homemades gives about a 3 to 4X shot -- I'd expect a little less in your case from the smaller nozzle and less powerful gun.

Notice any increases in range? You might want to leave the nozzle as it is if it's working good right now. ;)

Xoth

Post by Xoth » Mon Feb 28, 2005 3:10 pm

Originally posted by Doom@Feb 27 2005, 08:59 PM
Triple posts should be avoided to prevent inflated post counts and keep the page a little shorter. That's why we've got the edit button. I've compiled your posts, just remember next time it's applicable.

7/16" would be a good moderate nozzle. I have found that my similarly sized 1/8" nozzle on my homemades gives about a 3 to 4X shot -- I'd expect a little less in your case from the smaller nozzle and less powerful gun.

Notice any increases in range? You might want to leave the nozzle as it is if it's working good right now. ;)
[snapback]22712[/snapback]

sorry about that, didn't notice the edit button. I haven't tried the range out yet(snow :( ), but I made sure it shot well in my shower. I tried using a larger drill bit, but it seems to get stuck whenever I try to drill it. Maybe the nozzle just isn't able to go that big.

Hunt_and_Annoy

Post by Hunt_and_Annoy » Mon Feb 28, 2005 3:13 pm

Or your drill bit could have dulled, I had the problem of not being able to drill with a large drill bit, all I needed was a newer one