Go Back   Super Soaker Central > Water guns > General
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Welcome to the SSC Forums! You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and more. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.
Important note: The SSC forums are now in archive mode. WaterWar.net is the new online discussion board for the water gun hobby.

Old 07-19-2009, 01:19 PM   #1
JuchTurtles

UserID: 1928
Question Water Gun Range Increasors

Greetings.

I'm new here and I'm wondering if there are any other variables that you can change on your homemade gun to increase range besides nozzle size.

You see, I've been working on an APH, with 1 PC and a pump on my water carrier. It has about 5/64" size nozzle, and it shoots about 45-50 feet, but if I could I want to make it shoot longer and farther.
JuchTurtles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 05:30 PM   #2
cantab
Administrator

UserID: 1400
Default Re: Water Gun Range Increasors

The laminator. Check the Homemades section of the site.

You could also try using alternatives to drilled endcaps as nozzles.

5/64" sounds very small though. The laminator's not supposed to do much for such small nozzles.
Water Warriors: Jet, Sting Ray M, Shark, Argon M, Tiger Shark, PulseMaster
Others: Waterbolt, The Blaster, Storm 500, Shield Blaster 2000, generic PR gun, generic backpack piston pumper (broken), 3l garden sprayer M, 10l water carrier:
cantab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 07:27 PM   #3
Ben
Founder

UserID: 1

For a constant nozzle diameter, adjusting pressure (not necessarily increasing--less might increase range due to drag) and adding laminators are all you can do. And laminators won't necessarily do anything.

I'm surprised you can get 45 to 50 feet out of 5/64" anyway, so I wouldn't worry much about range. Small streams are affected much more by drag so getting high range is very difficult. If you want mroe range I'd suggest a larger diameter nozzle.

[email address] / Please read this before emailing or PMing me

Do not ask me water gun questions by email or PM. Please post the question at the forum. Private questions and suggestions are welcome by PM and email. Also, I do not sell or buy water guns online.
Ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 01:45 PM   #4
JuchTurtles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben
I'm surprised you can get 45 to 50 feet out of 5/64" anyway.

Yeah, I was a little off, it's exactly 39 feet to soak someone, and about 42 to the last drop.
Old 07-21-2009, 02:17 PM   #5
C-A_99
Administrator

UserID: 809

Clean hose barbs and most water balloon filler nozzles work pretty well as nozzles. The balloon filler nozzles are a bit small though, and may not be prefered for higher pressure guns but work great if the pressure is fairly low. (about that of a hose, or maybe a bit less)
Old 07-21-2009, 02:40 PM   #6
JuchTurtles

I drilled a fourth-inch nozzle (threaded endcap) and will test it soon.
Old 07-22-2009, 12:14 AM   #7
C-A_99
Administrator

UserID: 809

You could build a VHS to test it if the gun isn't assembled yet. But then again, you might as well just assemble the gun.

Drill smoothly, quickly, straight, and to the center for best results. If you can't get a reasonably smooth stream out, you may want to retry. (That is, drill it slightly larger and hope the larger drill does a good job. If it gets too large, then you'll have to stop and start again.) But really, you shouldn't have too much trouble, and endcap nozzles can only get so good anyways. They'll perform average, only the hose barbs and water balloon fillers are capable of high lamination that allows a low pressure system to shoot farther than a CPS 2000. (that being my CPH, which is weaker than the 2k, but shoots farther from the water balloon filler nozzle)
Old 07-24-2009, 09:08 AM   #8
JuchTurtles

I have finished the homemade gun I was making the nozzle for, and you can click here to go to it.